• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sore Tummy

Theresa b

Hi everyone I am new here. My Lovely little cav (Buzz) is 2 next month, he always seems to have a sensitive tummy. I had him to the vets yesterday after having diahorrea & vomiting and he gave him an antibiotic injection. He is still a bit miserable (and hungry!!) otherwise a bit better. I am feeding him cesear dog food not sure if I should change his diet he is a bit fussy! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
:dogwlk:

If your dog has a sensitive digestive system, I would put him on a single protein- single carb food. I like Wellness Simple Solutions.
Cesars dog food is water, beef by products (by products are the stuff humans can't/won't eat) meat by products (whatever that is) and poultry by products. There are many better foods out there.

Also feeding only a wet food is very bad for their teeth -- leads to gum disease and decayed teeth as nothing ever abrades the plaque. I'd move to a quality dry --maybe try a protein source that isn't common, like fish or duck or turkey --and supplement now and then with a quality wet food if you like.

In general all supermarket foods are very mediocre. And while they seem cheap, buying the largest bags of a good quality dry is actually more cost effective than the mediocre dry foods in supermarkets.

It may take a few weeks of trying a new food for your dog's tummy to settle. But a better quality food is going to help him in many ways.

sore tummy

Hi Karlin,
Many thanks for advice, I notice you are in Dublin, is there a particular food that you would recommend I could get? Thanks
Also feeding only a wet food is very bad for their teeth -- leads to gum disease and decayed teeth as nothing ever abrades the plaque. I'd move to a quality dry --maybe try a protein source that isn't common, like fish or duck or turkey --and supplement now and then with a quality wet food if you like.

In general all supermarket foods are very mediocre. And while they seem cheap, buying the largest bags of a good quality dry is actually more cost effective than the mediocre dry foods in supermarkets.

It may take a few weeks of trying a new food for your dog's tummy to settle. But a better quality food is going to help him in many ways.

we had chesney on butchers choice puppy and other supermarket stuff, he ahd blood in his stools and scooted alot. Since we switched to nature diet, withs ome burns mini bites he hasn't looked back.

I'd recommend trying James Wellbeloved as these have minimal ingredients, no additives or preservatives, and are designed for sensitive stomachs as well. All the meat sources are ones that tend to agree with dogs: lamb, turkey, fish. Remember it will take several weeks -- up to 12 -- usually for you to see the benefits of a food change if it will work for your dog. JWB is widely available from pet shops. They've also just introduced their wet food pouches over here -- some places carry them -- so you could use that to mix in now and then or daily if you want. Petstop in Blanchardstown for example has the dry food and the pouches last time I was there.

Back