PDA

View Full Version : Favorite go-to cleaning appliance or product?

nicoles94
13th June 2008, 05:50 AM
I'm a bit of a clean freak. I have a few cleaning machines loves and LOVE my Hoover Floor Mate, especially now with a puppy. Sometimes, he doesn't always make it out the door or to his wee wee pad. I am finding I use it about once a day in the kitchen. I prefer this to a mop a million times over.

I also love my Bissell Little Green Clean Machine for the carpets and furniture. Luckily, Tybalt hasn't had any accidents on the carpet, but Romeo was really sick a few months ago and couldn't keep anything down. This came in handy to clean up after him. And it's nice to know I have it on hand for such things.

Hubby also got me a Dyson Animal for Valentines Day 2007 (the perfect present for a clean freak!) and I swear the love I feel for this thing is almost obscene. The amount of crap it picks up is amazing and I could study the junk in the dirt canister for hours!

I've also made a move away from harsh chemicals in an attempt to go more green. I now do most of my cleaning with vinegar, baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), Borax, or lemon juice. I rarely use bleach anymore, just in the bathroom or to toss in with a load of whites. I've also found Method and Seventh Generation cleaners and clothes detergents are AWESOME and use no animal by products. They make clothes feel super clean and so soft.

What's your favorite go-to cleaning appliances or products?

*Pauline*
13th June 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm quite happy with my Henry vacuum cleaner, I hate hoovers, too heavy for me.

I like some alternatives to chemicals too. I like lemon for cleaning the microwave, I put some in a bowl with water then turn on microwave until it's all steamy then wipe the dirt off easily. I like to use water left in a kettle after making a cuppa to soak dish clothes and sponges, I can't see germs surviving boiling water. Lavender on worktops and lemon or mint oil together with only a little washing up liquid in the water to wash a kitchen floor makes the room smell yummy! :p

Cathy T
13th June 2008, 04:13 PM
Love my dyson!! Also have the Bissell spotlifter for accidents. Really like my new Bissell steam mop....no more chemicals on the floor. I'll have to look into the Method and Seventh Generation cleaning products. I'm trying to use less chemicals around the house. Thanks for the tip.

Melissa
13th June 2008, 07:36 PM
Is Method the Target brand or am I thinking of something else? I have a bissel steam something or other for doing carpets. I love it cause I have a cat the vomits very often because he eats too fast and it takes stains out so well.

nicoles94
14th June 2008, 02:42 AM
Is Method the Target brand or am I thinking of something else? I have a bissel steam something or other for doing carpets. I love it cause I have a cat the vomits very often because he eats too fast and it takes stains out so well.

Method is sold at Target, but I don't think Target makes it, if that makes sense. I have seen Method outside of Target at one of my local supermarkets.

As a matter of fact, the last time I was at Target just a couple days ago, Target seems to have gotten rid of a majority of their Method products.

Cathy Moon
14th June 2008, 12:36 PM
Great topic! :)

I've been going green too. I started years ago with really serious recycling (when you had sort everything and drive somewhere to drop it all off), and then in the past few years I've been using Method and Seventh Generation products. It seems like Target was the first store in my area to sell Method, but now it's available at the supermarket. Target had another green cleaning product I liked - Goodnest, which has been discontinued. :confused: I still have a large refill bottle of Goodnest spray cleaner, which I will miss when it's used up.

I don't know why, but I still use mainstream laundry detergent when I know I shouldn't. Which of the green laundry detergents do you use? I have been wanting to make the switch, but also wanted to read a product review before I do. And do these products keep your white laundry white? Do you use all fabric bleach?

Has anyone tried the toilet paper made of recycled paper? If so, what do you think of it? I haven't tried it yet.

*Pauline*
14th June 2008, 01:47 PM
Which of the green laundry detergents do you use? I have been wanting to make the switch, but also wanted to read a product review before I do. And do these products keep your white laundry white? Do you use all fabric bleach?

Has anyone tried the toilet paper made of recycled paper? If so, what do you think of it? I haven't tried it yet.

I don't know about the laundry detergent but I know liquid rather than powder has a smaller carbon footprint.

Recycled toilet paper is ok. It's not as soft as some of the more expensive brands. I find the expensive ones are so full of loose dust, I have a black toilet floor so I notice the difference.

Cathy Moon
14th June 2008, 05:18 PM
For quick cleanup of dog hair on smooth floors, I use my Swiffer rechargeable vacuum cleaner. I buy the washable flannel fabric cloths from Target to use with it rather than the disposable swiffer cloths.

I like the Swiffer dusters, but they are disposable. :neutral: I found a good washable microfiber duster at bed bath and beyond:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13366861&RN=53&KSKU=107235

I loooove my Dyson Animal vac too! :luv:

One more thing - I just found this great DIY household cleaner information:
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/120/diy

nicoles94
14th June 2008, 06:10 PM
Great topic! :)

I've been going green too. I started years ago with really serious recycling (when you had sort everything and drive somewhere to drop it all off), and then in the past few years I've been using Method and Seventh Generation products. It seems like Target was the first store in my area to sell Method, but now it's available at the supermarket. Target had another green cleaning product I liked - Goodnest, which has been discontinued. :confused: I still have a large refill bottle of Goodnest spray cleaner, which I will miss when it's used up.

I don't know why, but I still use mainstream laundry detergent when I know I shouldn't. Which of the green laundry detergents do you use? I have been wanting to make the switch, but also wanted to read a product review before I do. And do these products keep your white laundry white? Do you use all fabric bleach?

I really, really LOVE Method detergents. Gets clothes seriously clean and I find I don't usually have to use Methods fabric softner because the detergent rinses so clean. Seventh Generation detergents are also really good, but I prefer Method because they have better scents

I do still use bleach with my whites but I've been using Borax more often as well.

Cathy Moon
15th June 2008, 01:41 PM
Recycled toilet paper is ok. It's not as soft as some of the more expensive brands. I find the expensive ones are so full of loose dust, I have a black toilet floor so I notice the difference.

Pauline, thanks! I'm probably going to get some next time I'm shopping.

Cathy Moon
15th June 2008, 02:09 PM
I really, really LOVE Method detergents. Gets clothes seriously clean and I find I don't usually have to use Methods fabric softner because the detergent rinses so clean. Seventh Generation detergents are also really good, but I prefer Method because they have better scents

I do still use bleach with my whites but I've been using Borax more often as well.
:thnku: I will change my ways now!:flwr:

therealsnoopy
17th June 2008, 03:06 AM
With all the dog hair I have, I LOVE my Kirby vacume!!!cavtiny:rah:

chloe'sdee
17th June 2008, 02:22 PM
Love my Kirby, too!!
It's nice to see greener people out there. I've been using alternatives for a lot of years now, and it's certainly gotten easier to find such products. Main stream green, kind of trendy now, but that's good.
I love method,and seventh generation, the things I had to do to find these products years ago. I shopped in health food stores and trader joes, and ordered a lot online. Another great cleaning brand is called Mrs. Meyer's the honeysuckle scent is the best.
These brands offer a lot of personal care products too.