• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

scared me twice

Cathy Moon

Last weekend my cavaliers really freaked me out - two times.

First, our neighbor came to the front door with a beautiful bouquet of freshly cut peonies. Geordie was barking and acting up, so I picked him up before I opened the door. I guess in the confusion I forgot to tell India and Chocolate to stay; with India I have to use a hand signal since she has hearing loss.

I opened the door to reach for the flowers and thank Steve, and India ran out, followed by Chocolate. :eek: They have never done this before! I quickly put Geordie in the bedroom and closed the door, grabbed our highest quality treats (venison jerky), and ran after my girls. India could not hear me, so I caught up to her first and gave her a treat, then Chocolate came to me to get hers. Both girls followed me home and got more treats when they were safely inside the house again.

Later the same day, I was vacuuming the carpeting, and I came across one metal piece of a paper binding clip. These are made of 3 pieces of metal, and I only found one of them. Normally we are very careful about keeping things like this off the floor because all three dogs would find it an interesting chew. :eek: I imagined that one of the dogs had chewed it and swallowed the metal; I imagined the very worst - broken teeth and perforated intestines :yikes - I was worried sick waiting for Colin to come home so I could tell him we're taking all three dogs in to get x-rayed today! Colin came home later, and I showed him what I found. He said, "Oh yeah, I found the other two pieces yesterday - Geordie must have taken it off the table he can reach and chewed it." Whew!

oh you poor thing, i bet you need a vacation now to relax those nerves! im glad everyone is okay ;)

Oh, what a double whammy for you. So glad the outcomes were good. Wow, hope today is uneventful......

Just goes to show....we have to be ever vigilant don't we?! Glad everyone is okay though.

They really do surprise us at times with open doors don't they..glad they are all ok and you!

Eeeek, I can imagine how scary both those situations were!

I like dark chocolate and had a 70% cocoa bar -- and I always break off the pieces way back on the counter, to make sure none of it ever hits the floor -- as with this pure a bar of chocolate, only a few squares could be fatal for a cavalier. The other day I snapped a piece off and another fairly large piece flew off and landed on the floor -- I heard it hit the floor! -- and I went into total commando mode, shouting at the dogs to stay back, quickly put up the dog barrier, and then was down on my hands and knees trying to find it. At first I couldn't find it and was afraid it had bounced somewhere to Lily (the usual scavenger) but then I got a long handled strainer and tried poking around under the dishwasher and out it came -- I was sooo relieved. The dogs meanwhile were looking at me like I was nuts but were very interested in all the kitchen activity. :rolleyes: From now on I will put up the barrier first so there's no chance a piece could fall again. I couldn't believe it though, I handle that chocolate like it is enriched uranium. :eek:

Oh I know that feeling - I have yelled "sit stay" while diving to the floor to retrieve one semi sweet chocolate chip.

:D:D Been there...done that!! I think I yelled and reacted so quickly the dogs were too afraid to even come into the kitchen!!! I know they both were thinking "Man....mom is a spazz!!":rolleyes:

Wow, that would be scary! Glad it all turned out okay. Funny thing, this dog is filling my "empty nest" since hubby is still working and both our children have grown and moved out. It is almost like having a toddler around again with the baby proofing and constantly looking around to make sure nothing is harmful within Dotties reach.

Early this morning we went out for potty business and I noticed Dottie was very interested in something in the grass. I went to check it out and found a mushroom that had sprouted during the night!! Thank goodness it was still perfectly intact so I was able to have her stand back while I removed it. I have heard of dogs getting very ill or dying from eating just one toxic type mushroom (I have no idea what kind it was but I just have to assume they are all deadly and leave it at that.)

I have to say, she certainly keeps me on my toes!!!

I'm so sorry Cathy, you must have been so frightened. I had a dream last night. I had two dogs, instead of the one I have in reality (so I must have been inspired by your thread) and the same thing happened. No one would help me find them I actually had to sneak out as no one wanted me to look for them. I managed to find three little dogs in the dark none of which were my dogs. I took these dogs home anyway! I was glad to be woken up by Dylan barking this morning!

Sounds like a direction from above, to me! :lol:

:lol: I would love to have two. I keep seeing all those lovely rescue dogs up for adoption and I really fancy a ruby pup, there's a good breeder near me who does both rescue and good quality rubies...one day:rolleyes:

I quickly put Geordie in the bedroom and closed the door, grabbed our highest quality treats (venison jerky), and ran after my girls. India could not hear me, so I caught up to her first and gave her a treat, then Chocolate came to me to get hers. Both girls followed me home and got more treats when they were safely inside the house again

I would never have thought of doing that. That was a great reaction on your part and thank goodness it worked. I am going to leave a bag of treats in the hall press in case something like that ever happens with my two.

Since my hubby takes alot of meds, he ends up getting constipated alot, so he takes a twice daily med for that. Anyway once in awhile he will drop one of these pills, they are hard to see as they blend with the laminate floor! I'm usually scrambling on the floor trying to find this little thing before either of the boys do! :eek: That is all they would need is a little more help in the poo department! :eek: NOT!

Hubby also drops his anxiety or depression meds too but those are easier to see. As soon as the dogs hear something hit the floor, they are searching. I never thought of locking them up first!

oh goodness they really gave you a scare - so sorry Cathy, big ((((hugs)))) from here. It's just to remind you how much you love them...

Back