• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Assisted living dog

anniespeeps

We moved my parents into an assisted living apartment this weekend, and it's been a difficult transition, especially for my Mom who feels that she's giving up a lot of her freedom. I spoke to her on the phone yesterday, and she was very excited to tell me that the assisted living complex has a resident dog, and he's a Cavalier! She adores Annie, and she was just so thrilled with this little dog, who is a Blenheim named Buttons. I was so happy to hear that Buttons was able to bring her some joy in the midst of a stressful time.

I hope Buttons will ease her transition. :) That's a perfect job for a cavalier! My grandmother is in a care home where they have regular dog visitor and at least one resident cat (residents are allowed to bring their dog or cat with them even though it is a nursing home). You can see what a difference his makes to so many of the residents and my own grandmother really loves seeing the visiting lab mix.

That's great. How often will she see the dog?

He pretty much has free run of the place, so she'll see him all the time.

I hope Buttons will ease her transition. :smile: That's a perfect job for a cavalier! My grandmother is in a care home where they have regular dog visitor and at least one resident cat (residents are allowed to bring their dog or cat with them even though it is a nursing home). You can see what a difference his makes to so many of the residents and my own grandmother really loves seeing the visiting lab mix.

I had the exact same reaction, Karlin. A Cavalier is definitely the right dog for that job. I'm sure he brings lots of joy to the folks who live there.

We take both of our dogs to an assisted living center for visits. We started going because a former neighbor who loved our dogs was a resident and we went to see her. The other residents loved the visits so much that we have continued to go even though our former neighbor is no longer there. It is interesting what different residents like. Some like to hold Buddy (our Cavalier), others like Hadley (our 60 lb. Clumber) to sit by them and just stroke her, some like to watch the dogs do simple tricks (we are not too sopshisticated). We usually do not stay more than an hour. My brother Michael, who is developmentally disabled, usually comes with me and he loves the visits.

I will have to suggest to the assisted living center that they get their own resident dog!

One of our fosters was adopted by a woman who works in a nursing home. She takes both her dogs to work with her everyday. The residents love the dogs and the dogs can't wait to go to "work" every day. Our dogs visit nursing homes when we go to visit relatives and it's very rewarding to see the joy the dogs bring to patients. Glad to hear that your mom is enjoying Buttons.:flwr:

Back