PDA

View Full Version : Chappie canned dog food, your opinions please.

*Pauline*
17th June 2008, 03:45 PM
As many of you know Dylan has had quite a few tummy upsets over the months. At the moment he is on canned Royal Canin Intestinal Diet. I am generally happy with this and will continue with it if I can't find something else he can tolerate. He seems unable to tolerate dry food too at the moment, I tried to slowly introduce RC intestinal kibble and it upset his tummy.

The issue I have with Royal Canin is that it is 30% protein which is very high and he seems hungry on it even though he is having quite a big meal. Also his stools are still not that firm and he gets his shorts messy sometimes. It is also about £23 for 12 cans that's £1.90 for a 420g can :eek:

I have been told Chappie is easily digestible and a good quality food though very cheap and some vets recommend it for sensitive tummies. It's 39p for a 412g can which is very cheap though money isn't an issue here.

I was wondering what you thought of Chappie?

Barbara Nixon
17th June 2008, 03:57 PM
I've had vets recommend Chappie and Butcher tripe (This must be the original tripe only or with chicken and not other varieties), as thereare no additives and it can be used as a complete food.

I always go for Butchers, because the Chappie is very smelly. My lot have had it from tiny puppies.

*Pauline*
17th June 2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Barbara. Please would you post a link for the Butchers so I can see the tin as I have been confused as to which is the right one to get before. I have noticed Butchers is one of the only ones without sugar.

Still interested in comments about Chappie though, I have heard it stinks!

Sandrac
17th June 2008, 04:18 PM
I've also heard that Chappie is good - I actually make up a treat cake using Chappie in the recipe as there are some treats do upset Cinders' tummy. Both Cinders and Minnie love it and it doesn't upset their tummies.

Justine
17th June 2008, 04:23 PM
O.M.G. are they still making that dog food,my mum fed her dogs with it all of 30 yrs ago,she swore by it.

Barbara Nixon
17th June 2008, 04:31 PM
Pauline, it's this label that you want. The with chicken is the same, but the band is more orange. (Ie the meat loaf and not the dinnewr or 'exotic' in gravy etc)

Tesco and all the big supermarkets stock it, but 6 packs tend to have the less desirable with beef variety. As tinned meats go, Butchers smells quite nice.

http://www.butcherspetcare.com/butchers/products/tripemix400.html

*Pauline*
17th June 2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks Barbara and everyone else. I have ordered one can of Butchers and one of Chappie just to have a look. :thmbsup:

TillyTommy
17th June 2008, 07:00 PM
When my Tommy was having various problems and stomach problems being one of them vet told me to give him Chappie and he did fantastic on it when many other things failed him.

*Pauline*
17th June 2008, 07:43 PM
When my Tommy was having various problems and stomach problems being one of them vet told me to give him Chappie and he did fantastic on it when many other things failed him.

Was that dry or canned?

TillyTommy
17th June 2008, 08:23 PM
He had the canned Chappie. He was always struggling with constipation and this seemed to sort him out. :)

karenc
17th June 2008, 10:19 PM
I have weaned pups on canned Butchers original -meat loaf and they had no trouble I have also used Chappie, and had no trouble with loose bowels. :)

msunter
18th June 2008, 12:04 AM
Hi Pauline,

I will be totally honest with you. Chappie doesn't smell nice but is a really good food with Rio for his tummy troubles.

Two weeks ago my Mum purchased the James Wellbeloved sachet meats and we found them good not a lot of runny faeceas wiith it. Even with Chappie Rio can still find himself having the diahorrors now and again but he is not very partial to the original flavour. He really enjoys the Chicken and Rice flavour. You can buy a pack of 6 tins in Asda for £2.29 I think. The other day in Tesco's my Dad bought Rio succulent Chicken and vegetables in a sauce and he had the rest last night and lo and behold he had runny diahorrea this morning when my Mum took him out. He even had gas with the diffrent foods and he never does with Chappie, so all in all I would say it is a good food for sensitive tummys after having tried so many different tinned foods.

Dylan sounds like Rio with his tummy troubles

*Pauline*
18th June 2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone you are great when I need some advice. :D

Sorry you all went through this with your dogs too.

Dublin
18th June 2008, 09:43 AM
I brought Cassie up on Chappie, when she was a pup she refused to eat anything else for months & she's fine now.

In the kennels I worked in we used to use chappie a lot too especialy for dogs with tummy upsets & it was great - the dry food is a bit cr@p though - in my opinion!

Barbara Nixon
18th June 2008, 11:22 AM
It's only the tinned that vets recommend.

*Pauline*
18th June 2008, 12:00 PM
I have both Chappie and Butchers arriving between 12.00-14.00 :D Chappie in chicken flavour had colourings so I got the original. I won't be giving it for a while as Dylan is still a bit loose now.

karenc
19th June 2008, 09:42 AM
Id stick to the original in both. The butchers meatloaf is the one I used on pups.Good luck hope it works.:xfngr:

Ashley
19th June 2008, 11:16 AM
I feed raw, or JWB kibble if i need to.... but if I were to use tins then it definitely would be chappie. It is by far one of the better quality tinned foods. It does stink though. I bought some to try with Holly when she was a puppy and my goodness.... its a very strong fishy smell. She liked it though!

*Pauline*
19th June 2008, 03:19 PM
I don't know if it's because I have a cold but I don't think it smells that bad! Nature diet in the puppy food or fish really stinks :yuk: I am gradually introducing Chappie by mixing it with the food from the vet. I was going to wait as he had soft poos then all of a sudden they were normal again.