View Full Version : Mastocytoma
18th June 2008, 01:57 PM
I am new to posting here. I have two boys aged two years, Ben and Jessie. One has recently been diagnosed with a mastocytoma, which has developed on his occipital bone just to the side of his eye.
He has undergone tests and I am waiting for further results of pathology results following his second lot of fine needle aspiration. It seems that it is not really opearable and it will become very painful.
Has anyone come across this before? Is it unusual in a dog so young?
Any comments welcome.
Bit up in the air with this.
18th June 2008, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
That does seem very young for such a diagnosis. Apparently this is the most common cancer in dogs and there's more information here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/mast-cell-tumors-mastocytoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Have you been in contact with his breeder? I am sure they'd want to know about this and probably discuss the implications, if any, for their breeding programme with the vet as well as give you support.
You might consider a second opinion. One of the board moderators, Cathy T, had an inoperable cancer diagnosis in one dog's jaw but found a surgeon with a different perspective, who was able to remove the tumour and her dog is doing very well. I am sure she will post if she sees your post.
18th June 2008, 02:33 PM
Thank you for your reply.
My vet did all the tests and the pathologist confirmed his suspicions but needed further investigation to be conclusive.
I was then referred to UCD Vet Hospital and they have done further tests, x-rays and the aspiration tests and the pathology results are due Friday, but all does not look good.
I did not think of contacting the breeder, but following your advice I have emailed them.
I have read so much on this in the last few days but I suppose I really need a grading on it to be able to understand it further.
Thanks again for your advice. I keep all informed by progress.
18th June 2008, 02:43 PM
UCD in Dublin or UCD in California?
18th June 2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry, UCD in Dublin.
18th June 2008, 03:40 PM
My then two-year-old male was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in his mouth. Everyone I talked to, including an oncologist, said "so sorry" and gave us a 6 month expectancy after radiation and/or chemotherapy. I had a wonderful surgeon who had performed patella surgery on my one-year-old female just 3 weeks prior. Her immediate suggestion was to remove Jake's upper left jawbone. He has one tooth in the back of his mouth and his one tooth at the front. They removed the bone up to his nasal cavity. From the outside....you'd never know he's missing his jawbone. They took even tissue and bone to get very clean margins...and we are 3 1/2 years later still cancer free.
It was considered fairly radical surgery.....I consider it life-saving surgery. Don't give up. Even if the bone and eye have to be removed. The important thing so to get some options.
I'm so sorry this has happened in such a young pup. Please keep us posted on how the pathology reports read.
18th June 2008, 04:01 PM
Thank you for your reply.
We will fight on, hes so young and not a bother on him, its strange.
I get the opinions and see what the options are.
I keep you updated,
20th June 2008, 01:37 AM
So sorry to hear about that awful diagnosis. But, as Cathy T has testified, fight on....They can do so much today that wasn't possible even a few years ago. Hopefully they will be able to treat this cancer and it will go into remission so you can have many more years with your precious pup. Please keep updates coming and the prayers will be going up as you progress in your treatments. :hug:
20th June 2008, 10:15 AM
Thank you for your reply.
I'll keep you posted.
20th June 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm a dermatologist! and in humans mastocytoma are benign collections of mast cells under the skin and not serious, don't know about in animals but assume they are similar. I don't believe this will be a serious problem but you need to avoid sudden changes in temperature which can cause mast cell degranulation, i.e. jumping inot a cold pond/pool from the warm. most of the children I see with these need no treatment and they resolve spontanouesly
23rd June 2008, 01:53 PM
The final diagnosis is different to the first one. He has chondrosarcoma, which I understand is a cancer of the cartilage, which it seems is a better prognosis.
They can operate to remove the tumour, but this will involve removal of a good portion of his face on that side and possibly the removal of his eye, but they will not know that until they commence surgery.
I am happier about this finding, in that at least they can do something for him. He is on the list for surgery.
I will keep you all updated.
Thanks for all your good wishes.
23rd June 2008, 03:07 PM
Best of luck with the upcoming surgery. You and your pup will be in my thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome!!
23rd June 2008, 03:13 PM
Oh, best of luck! I would make the same decision as you. Be sure to let us know how the surgery goes. I know you will get many prayers and supportive wishes from here too. :flwr:
23rd June 2008, 03:53 PM
Sounds like you've actually gotten some good news...in comparison to what it could have been. My feeling is....if they can get the cancer and have to take some bone, tissue and an eye to do it....then do it. I had no hesitation about Jake's jawbone being removed. He functions just fine without it. We had also discussed the possibility of having to remove his eye as well and I was okay with that as well. If you can save his life and he can still function...by all means do it.
I saw that he is actually two years not two months. For this to have happened in a two month old was almost too much to take....not that it's any easier in a two year old. My boy's surgery was when he was two years old and he'll be 6 in August. Please keep us posted. I'm sending out prayers for you that a successful surgery resolves the problem.
23rd June 2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts, it is actually good news really.;
23rd June 2008, 05:50 PM
:flwr: You are being so brave, well done on being able to be optimistic when faced with something which is still pretty horrible :(
We are thankful for you that the diagnosis and prognosis are better than orginally anticipated, and like you, in that situation I think I would opt for the surgery, which gives your boy the best chance of a good quality of life.
|Thinking of you and keeping paws and fingers crossed - please keep us posted.
23rd June 2008, 07:42 PM
Billy, I am glad to hear that its operable. I would make the same decision in your place. Best of luck with the surgery. I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. :hug: :hug:
24th June 2008, 01:58 AM
You and your little one will be in our thoughts. Wishing for the best outcome for you. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.