PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Appetite???

Mom of Jato
19th June 2008, 06:29 PM
Not sure if I should be concerned or not. Jato is 6 1/2 months old now, and I have him eating twice a day- morning and evening. The weather has been beautiful here, so I have been taking him for walks, and he is sleeping in later in the mornings :rah: till about 9:00am or so. He doesn't want to eat his morning meal since he is doing this. I find it odd, because when he was waking up at 6:30am he was starving and scarfed it all down. What do you think is going on? I thought with all the exercise he would be more hungry, not less.

Karlin
19th June 2008, 07:53 PM
Some dogs may really only want a single meal. How much are you feeding him? Maybe it is just too much food now. Try cutting the total amount by a fourth or third and then split that meal. If he is clearly off hs food, best to call a vet, but if it is just occasionally skipping a meal, then he probably just needs less food and is being given too much.

Mom of Jato
19th June 2008, 08:27 PM
Pior to turning 6 months I was feeding him 1/3 cup 3x a day. Now at 6 months I am feeding him 1/2 cup 2x a day. Like I said, he was gobbling it all up before. It is just the past few days that he has been sleeping in, and not wanting to eat until later. I have gone back to giving him 1/3 cup to see if it helps.

Karlin
19th June 2008, 09:09 PM
That's a lot of food -- and puppies do tend to start eating less around 6 months. I'd try 3/4ths to 2/3rds a cup daily. Unless he is extremely active or especially large, a cup would be a lot of food. None of my adults eat that much, not even Jaspar with his high activity level. I'd try the reduced amount twice a day; or just move him to a single meal. Some dogs just prefer a single meal (Jaspar did so all mine get a single meal in the morning, with a dog biscuit at bedtime). If you feel there are other reasons for his refusing a meal, I'd have a vet check him out.

Mom of Jato
20th June 2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the advice Karlin- I will try the smaller amount of food tomorrow. It's nice to have this forum to go to for help. :)