• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: killing pets with kindness

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
That's one fat cavalier!! :eek:

From an Australian newspaper: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23900582-2862,00.html

Victorians are killing their pets with kindness
Article from: Sunday Herald
Submit comment:Submit comment
Eleni Hale
June 22, 2008 12:00am

The RSPCA says 41 per cent of dogs and 33 per cent of cats face shorter lives and chronic illnesses because they are too fat.

Owners who give their fast-food leftovers to their pets are believed to be a big part of the problem.

Australian Veterinary Association Victoria president Roslyn Nichol said owners overfed pets out of love. But overfeeding could cut life expectancy by 20 per cent.

Charlie, a Cavalier King Charles spaniel, is almost two years old and weighs 18.6kg - three times the recommended weight.

Owner Georgie Church said she overfed Charlie because she felt guilty for leaving Charlie alone when she went to work.

"I didn't do it (make him fat) on purpose, I just wanted him happy," she said.

Her dog has arthritis and is on a strict regimen of nightly walks, diet food and no snacks.

Dr Nichol said the number of overweight pets was startling. She warned owners to act before it was too late.

"The reason for pet weight gain is the same as humans," Dr Nichol said.

"They eat too much.

"It's very rare you see a medical condition causing weight gain. It's usually a case of more calories in than used.

"And the animals are not feeding themselves. They are not the ones taking themselves to the supermarket."

Overweight pets are at risk of heart disease, skeletal and breathing problems, skin disease, diabetes and arthritis.

One of my biggest pet peeves is overweight Cavaliers. A person can be overweight...it's their choice....the dog doesn't have a choice. I was so saddened by a couple of the rescues who came in being seriously overweight. Gryffin, the diabetic Cavalier, had been categorized as obese. That's just sad. Luckily his new owner (well, not so much new since she's had him almost a year now!!) got almost 10 pounds off of him. He looks fabulous and is like a dog 5 years younger.

I was walking my pair where I live a couple of days ago and a man was out cleaning his car. "I have a Blenheim one of those," he said and went in to get the dog. Admittedly, it was taller and generally bigger than either of mine, but he was also definitely overweight. Not grossly so - but overweight. This boy is four years old... I nearly asked the owner if he was aware of the correlation between obesity and MVD, but I didn't like to say anything. Maybe I will, if I see him again.

I watched a show on animal planet awhile ago and they had a very huge cavalier on there it made me soo sad. They also had a 200lb rottie and the owner snapped at the groomer when the groomer told her that her dog was going to die if it didn't lose some weight.

On a side note many people comment that Maverick is soooo skinny but the vet says he's just fine and he's fine boned too.

I saw that episode on Animal Planet. I was fuming at the owner of the rottie. :mad: At least the others saw the problem and attempted to get weight off their pets. This lady was an absolute idiot. She took the dog to the groomer and they filmed the groomer confronting her about her 200lb dog and the fact that she was killing him with kindness. She got offended and stomped off with her poor dog who could barely walk. :mad:

my own overweight Cavalier

My Tri Cavalier Bob weighed 20.5 kilos a year ago when he was given in to rescue aged 3 - we adopted him and he was diagnosed with hip dysplasia, arthritis and heart problems - no surprise really.

It was awful to watch him - he couldnt breathe very well, couldnt walk and if he lifted his leg fell over. I cant believe how people can watch that and let it continue!

Glad to say he is now a stunning 13.6 kilos full of life and energy!

Back