PDA

View Full Version : Dry Drowning-Update on Pixie

brotymo
24th June 2008, 06:15 AM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc230/suziesauctions/Pixie1.jpg

I want to thank all of you who were here to support me during this time with Pixie. I can hardly type through my tears. Sadly, her brave little heart gave out at 9:30 tonight. We called to check on her about 9 p.m. The vet said she was about to call me when I called them. She told me Pixie was not doing well and they had needed to put her back on the 100% oxygen and that she had developed a heart arrythmia. They administered atropine and her vitals were all over the place. She advised we pull her off the ventilator and support and let her go. We are a 40 minute drive, so I asked the vet to try to keep her stable, if it was possible, and we'd jump in the car to be with her when she passed away. 10 minutes before we could get to Pixie, the vet called my cell and let me know Pixie's little heart finally just quit. I am so sad we didn't get to hold her and say goodbye first, but at least we didn't have to pull her life support and then wonder if we gave up too soon.
We brought her home and buried her in our flower bed with her favorite blanket and toys. Even the hard Georgia red dirt seemed like it didn't want Pixie dead. I could hardly get a grave dug. My children finally cried themselves to sleep at midnight. I can hardly stand it I am so miserable inside. I'm sorry to bring such gloom to the board, and I will try to come back later and tell some of the fun and sunny things about Pixie so you guys can know her when she was alive. Just now, I can't do anything but feel angry and sad.
Sleep peacefully, sweet Pixie. I will meet you over the Rainbow bridge one day.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc230/suziesauctions/Pixie3.jpg

FranklinFreckles
24th June 2008, 06:20 AM
OMG, I was just reading through your previous thread and my heart was breaking to hear what your family and your angel had to go through.

Words cannot describe how sorry I am for your loss. I said it before but she really was blessed to have a family who did all they could for her and loved her as much as any dog could be loved :(

qwickkertje
24th June 2008, 06:38 AM
Uch I just got at work and was anxiously hoping for some good news.. Now the tears are in my eyes :(...
Sweet pixie.. Rest now..
You will be missed :(

I'm so sorry for all of you.. I think I would completely fall apart if something like that happened to one of my dogs.. So we will all be thinking of you in the next time :( Take your time to grief, losing one of your best friends is never easy :(

ourempire
24th June 2008, 07:25 AM
I am also sitting tearful reading these sad news. I am so sorry to hear this, and my heart is really aching for you. I pray that you don't blame yourself, it was an accident that could have happened to any of us.
My thoughts and prayers go to you and your family. :hug:
Charlotte

TillyTommy
24th June 2008, 07:53 AM
So Sorry - thoughts and prayers are with you

pippa
24th June 2008, 08:27 AM
I am so sorry..I was hoping for good news and it is with tears in my eyes that I make this reply..Take care of yourself and your children..please know you did all you could.Your little pixie was beautiful.

Dublin
24th June 2008, 08:38 AM
I am so sorry to read that your darling sweet girl didn't make it, I was telling my other half your story last night as he used to play the same game with his parents collie & I told him to never ever play that game again.

Like others have said don't blame yourselves for this tragic accident as thats exactly what it was, your little Pixi was lucky to have had such a loving family all be it for a short time, but she would have known as much love as she gave you back I'm sure of that.

Sleep well little girl xxx

Sue.k
24th June 2008, 09:01 AM
I am so sorry, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family :(

karenc
24th June 2008, 09:51 AM
I followed Pixies sad story and am heart saddend for you all. To lose a precious one so young is so hard. Pixie will be with you always in your heart. Try to remember the happy times she brought you all and smile for her. PLEASE dont blame yourself as by the grace of God go any of us, and I for one had no idea this could happen, so your brave post may save another person and baby the same fate.
Play happy at the Bridge sweet one, there are many lovely cavaliers there that will take you under their paws.

I lost a treasured friend today
The little dog who used to lay
Her gentle head upon my knee
And share her silent thoughts with me ...
She'll come no longer to my call
Retrieve no more her favorite ball
A voice far greater than my own
Has called her to His golden throne.
Although my eyes are filled with tears,
I thank Him for the happy years
He let her spend down here with me
And for her love and loyalty.
When it is time for me to go
And join her there, this much I know ...
I shall not fear the transient dark
For she will greet me with her bark.

Sandrac
24th June 2008, 09:53 AM
I am so sorry to hear that dear Pixie did not make it. Treasure the sweet memories you have and she will be forever in your hearts. Sending you and all your family a huge :hug:.

inca
24th June 2008, 10:03 AM
run free Pixie turn right at the bridge to cavalier corner you have many friends awaiting you there....the sun always shines and the play never ends

no time to sleep tight you have many adventures to fullfill xxx

Karlin
24th June 2008, 10:16 AM
I am so deeply sorry for all you and your family and Pixie have been through. You are not bringing doom and gloom here, but your wonderful love and passion for a very loved cavalier. Please feel you can come here to share your feelings any time, and maybe later on, you'd like to create a special thread for Pixie in the In Memoriam section, with some more pictures, when you feel ready to share her further with us.

No one should have to go through what you all have gone through.

Cleo's Person
24th June 2008, 10:28 AM
Oh I am so very very sorry to hear of Pixie's passing. As others have said I came into work this morning hoping against hope for another tiny improvement. My heart goes out to you and your family at the moment. You are all in my prayers.

Run free at the bridge little angel. *ng*l

sallymum
24th June 2008, 10:34 AM
RIP little angel.*ng*l

Charleen
24th June 2008, 10:48 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. What a tragedy for your family.

sins
24th June 2008, 10:57 AM
This is such sad news for you and your family.
I know the circumstances are rare and unusual but you must remember that although she had a short time with you, it was a wonderful happy time and when compared to those dogs who suffer difficult lives through neglect, your little angel was loved and knew what it felt like to be part of a family who adored her.
This reminds me of when we lost our labrador Bruce,trust me, every family who's ever had dogs, has had at least one tragic loss.Bruce was kicked by a stray horse who wandered into our front garden,when he went to investigate he was killed almost instantly.
Allow your kids time to grieve and then go straight out and get Pixie (II).
Either get a rescue or hopefully your insurance will allow you the cost of another cavalier.Please don't let this tragedy put you off having another dog.I know the pain and upset is very raw right now,but the joys of having a dog in your life will far outweigh the pain of their loss.
Remember we're here to help you through this.
Sins

Kristy
24th June 2008, 11:17 AM
im so sorry for your loss. sending you and your children lots of hugs!

Mary
24th June 2008, 11:22 AM
I am so sorry. My heart is with you.

Louise1823
24th June 2008, 11:23 AM
I am absolutely heartbroken reading about your tragic story and the loss of your beautiful Pixie. You should not ever have had to go through this pain, and I feel so terribly sorry for you and your family.
I too lost a cherished pup only a few months ago and am only too familiar with the terrible loss and feeling of numbness you are going through right now. Please, please dont beat yourself up with blame - and know that this is the outcome of a terrible terrible , unfortunate accident.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all right now.

Sleep in sweet peace Pixie xxx

Barbara Nixon
24th June 2008, 11:47 AM
I'm so sorry.

She won't be alone as there are lots of our little ones waiting to meet her at the Rainbow Bridge.

coconut
24th June 2008, 11:54 AM
omg i am so sad to read this, i could not finish reading it as i had tears in my eyes!

Phoebe
24th June 2008, 01:44 PM
I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I found your posts absolutely heartbreaking to read. I'm thinking about you and your family.

brid kenny
24th June 2008, 01:46 PM
I am so sorry to read your news. Mind yourself and the kids and treat yourselves tonight. You have been through so much.:lotsaluv:

Harley1
24th June 2008, 02:10 PM
I am so so sorry for your loss. :( I can't imagine what you are you kids are going through. Just remember, she is not suffering now and she is in a better place. I will keep you and your family and of course Pixie in my thoughts for a long time to come. Take care and time will heal.........

Mom of Jato
24th June 2008, 02:16 PM
I am so sad to hear of your loss of beautiful Pixie. Please know that when your heart is empty, filling it with happy memories can help you find peace. Best wishes to you and your children, you are all in my thoughts. Take care.

Lynn
24th June 2008, 02:37 PM
This is truly heartbreaking news. I am deeply sorry for your loss. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts.

cy1266
24th June 2008, 03:11 PM
I am really sorry to hear about Pixie, I too was hoping for some good news when I logged on this morning :cry*ing:You did everything you could have possibly done for her, and she was so lucky to be loved by such a wonderful family for the short time she was with you. You and your children are in my thoughts...

frecklesmom
24th June 2008, 03:28 PM
:( There are no words to express the heartbreak felt for your loss. Your sweet Pixie awaits you and the children at the Bridge. She is held tight in your heart and will always be a part of your lives.

brotymo
24th June 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all your cyber-hugs and for sharing our feelings of heartache. My daughter put a 30 sec. video on youtube of Pixie playing "twister". I thought I'd share the link. You can see her having so much fun and loving to be a part of everything we did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apH-dMDH8nU
You guys here are great. Hug your cavaliers. I so wish I could hug Pixie today.

Rj Mac
24th June 2008, 03:43 PM
we are so sorry to hear that pixie did not make it!, our thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time

run free little pixie

Cathy T
24th June 2008, 03:44 PM
:cry*ing:The tears just started and I couldn't stop them. I was so hoping for a miracle for your family and Pixie. Take comfort in the love we're all sharing with you. We all feel your pain deeply. An unexpected loss like this is so very hard. Rest in peace sweetheart. You were loved and cherished.

I enjoyed her Twister video. What a funny little girl. Again, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Rumor
24th June 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Pixie didn't make it. You did everything you could do for her. You and your kids are in our thoughts and prayers.
RIP Pixie:flwr:

wildandcrazyguys
24th June 2008, 04:04 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. I, like many others in this forum, woke up this morning and logged on hoping to see that a miracle had happened and Pixie had been returned to you. But after starting to read your post the tears began to flow and I'm reminded of the loss of my dear Molly (a lab that I rescued) that passed away last September. Your Pixie will never be forgotten and I pray that your family is comforted in this time of heartache and loss.

hbmama
24th June 2008, 04:53 PM
I just can't imagine what you and your children are going through right now.:( Your precious Pixie obviously had a very loving and wonderful life with you and those beautiful memories can never be taken from your hearts and minds. You will all be in my daily thoughts and prayers for strength and comfort in the coming weeks. My heart is just breaking for you!

Daisy's Mom
24th June 2008, 04:55 PM
I am so sorry about Pixie. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. That has to be so hard. I'm sure she's happy now.

I think you for sharing this with all of us. It made us cry, but it also made us learn something, and, as you said, we'll give our beloved Cavaliers an extra hug today. I hope you find another dog someday to bring into your family who you will treasure as much as Pixie. There are lots of dogs out there that would give anything to have a family as loving as yours.

Nicki
24th June 2008, 05:42 PM
This is so tragic, please don't blame yourself, I think we've all played the same games with our dogs. I don't know why this had to happen and can only say how devestated we are for you.

Thank you for sharing your story and perhaps this may save another dog, and Pixie's life will have even greater meaning.

At the moment you will be raw and hurting so bad, but this does ease in time and then you will be able to look back and remember the happy times together.

:flwr: and hugs for you

Jasperxxgabby
24th June 2008, 06:09 PM
I have been thinking about Pixie through the day hoping and wishing her well, I am deeply saddened to hear she didn't make it. I will always remember her story, sending my thoughts and best wishes to you and your family.

nicoles94
24th June 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Pixie.

jld
24th June 2008, 06:26 PM
I can barely type through my tears.... I can feel the sorrow in my heart that you are feeling right now. I have been in your place. The pain will get better, but it will take time. God bless you. Judy

Elaine 2
24th June 2008, 07:31 PM
Just to let you know I'm thinking of you and your children and sending you all hugs, I'm so very sorry to hear you've lost your beautiful girl Pixie, Ive just watched her twister video and she was a little beauty, take care you're in my thoughts
Play happy Pixie in the beautiful sunshine at rainbow bridge

Gem
24th June 2008, 07:54 PM
:flwr: So sorry to hear this news, theres no way you could have known what could happen, I have a paddling pool my girls play in the summer and i'd never heard of dry drowning,
This tragic accident will help to save many other dogs, thank you for sharing this with us all

cb2u
24th June 2008, 08:18 PM
Deepest heartfelt condolences are being sent your way. I am unable to put into words how horribly I feel for you & your family. Pixie was a beautiful girl.... who can say why these horrible things happen? May time help to mend your broken hearts. :(

Laila
24th June 2008, 08:31 PM
I'm so so sorry to hear about Pixie, such a tragic story, my eyes are filled with tears :( My thoughts are with you and your family xxx

MishathePooh
24th June 2008, 08:48 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Claire L
24th June 2008, 09:14 PM
I've been away all day and just got home. I was thinking and praying for Pixie and asking for that miracle. I'm so very very sorry that you lost your little pal. Please know that I am thinking of you and your family.

Prov31
24th June 2008, 10:03 PM
My sincerest sympathies are with you and your children. We have felt the loss of dogs that hurt to the core of our being. Pixie was incredibly special and will never be forgotten. Thank you for sharing your story with us and allowing us to grieve with you. You have been in my prayers all night and all day today.

Nancy
24th June 2008, 10:24 PM
I've been thinking about poor little Pixie all day and have written everyone I know to warn of this , I'm hoping we can prevent it happening to another of our precious babies. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

eisens
24th June 2008, 10:55 PM
I am so, so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my first Cavalier two weeks shy of his fifth birthday. I lost my last at age 17. It is never easy because we love them so much -- and we know they love us, too.

You did everything you could for Pixie, the most of which was to share love with her. That is all any of us can really hope for.

So sorry.

Maxwell&me
24th June 2008, 11:00 PM
Im so sorry~ This is a hard one......Please know our prayers are with you.

arasara
24th June 2008, 11:39 PM
I would like to add to what the others have said and express my condolences to you as well. I am so terribly sorry you had to go through this :( I can't imagine what it must be like.

I do want to thank you for coming on here and sharing your story with all of us. I am actually going camping at a lake this weekend, and I am keeping this story at the back of my mind. My boy likes to go bobbing for sticks so this is a very real threat to me. Thank you for having the courage to share with us and teach.

You are in my thoughts and prayers during this terrible time *HUGZ* :flwr:

Run free at the bridge, little Pixie :lotsaluv:

*Pauline*
24th June 2008, 11:55 PM
I'm so very sad and sorry. Thank you for posting your story. I'm sure none of us knew this could happen so you have saved other dogs lives by spreading the word.

frecklesmom
25th June 2008, 12:26 AM
This may speak to your hearts

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Melissa
25th June 2008, 01:28 AM
I too logged on this evening hoping for a miracle but my tears have not stopped even after reading 5 pages of post. I know how the pain your family feels can't even be put into words. It's crazy how quickly we are drawn into this forum family. Thank you for sharing this tidbit of you life with us, I'm sure many of us will pass this on and save many dogs lives.

brotymo
25th June 2008, 01:35 AM
I wish I could reply to all of you individually. Your support has been so uplifting to me and I have shared it with my children. The shared tears, the words of comfort, the poems and links. Those of you who took a moment to see our little girl in her youtube video playing and being her happy, silly self...even those of you who stopped by just to read and feel our pain. Shared pain is more bearable.
It will be some time before I can get through the day without crying. Until then, I appreciate those of you who shared our grief.
Hugs to you all.

Cathy Moon
25th June 2008, 01:55 AM
We're so sorry for your loss of little Pixie. :( I hope that all your fond memories of her will help you and your children heal. Thinking of you, and just remember that you can share as many stories about her as you want, when you feel ready. We are always here to respond, knowing that you have lost a beloved member of your family. Hugs to you and your children. :hug::hug::hug::hug:

tara
25th June 2008, 02:09 AM
I am so very sorry to hear of Pixie's passing. As a mom, I know you are really beating yourself up over this, but please know that you did absolutely all you could for Pixie and your children. This was a terrible tragedy and I thank you for taking the time to share your story and educate those of us with young children and dogs who love water. I was not aware that this could happen to dogs, but will be much more dilligent after reading your story.

Pixie sounds like a wonderful family member and I'm sure she is dearly missed. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss and for the pain which you and your children feel.

pinkpuppy
25th June 2008, 02:22 AM
I am late to this thread, but wanted to add my sincere condolences for yours and your children's loss of precious Pixie.

niki
25th June 2008, 11:37 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your tragic loss of Pixie, what an horrific experience for you all
Take Care

Flutterbye
25th June 2008, 12:43 PM
I am so sorry and sad to read about Pixie, I was really hoping she would pull through.
Thinking of you xxx

rosiesmum
25th June 2008, 12:48 PM
So sorry that Pixie did not make it.

Many :hug: to you and your children.

nicola
25th June 2008, 01:26 PM
I am too upset to know what to say except that time will heal....gradually. I am so so sorry for your loss...there really are no words!

daveoirl
25th June 2008, 01:33 PM
I am very sorry to hear about this. :( It is a real tragedy, and my thoughts are with you and your family.

Spencer'sMom
25th June 2008, 05:27 PM
I am so sorry about Pixie. Hugs to you and your children.

bimmerguy288
26th June 2008, 12:05 AM
I just read through the several threads you started. They made me cry. So sorry...

babs
26th June 2008, 12:18 AM
Im so sad to hear this news,it brought me to tears looking at her photos.A little angel from heaven:lotsaluv: Pixie had the best time of her short life because she had the best mam and kids to look after her:lotsaluv::lotsaluv:
Your hurtfull feelings will go away,your grieving for a little soul that you lost but remember the special moments that you have all shared together :lotsaluv: A little soul lost but never forgotten:lotsaluv::lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

annie121
26th June 2008, 12:53 AM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet little girl. :hug:

Tigger6093
26th June 2008, 03:26 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful little Pixie.

redhare
26th June 2008, 02:00 PM
So sorry for your loss. I hugged my fur-kids a bit harder after reading your story!

mrsfarmer
26th June 2008, 05:02 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Pixie, she is a sweet little angel now. You did the best you could for her. Time will heal the pain :(

I was planning on getting a kiddy pool for my boys but after reading all about this, I don't plan on buying it now.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Zippy
28th June 2008, 04:48 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss of Pixie. :flwr::flwr:

stacy710
25th April 2009, 12:57 AM
I am so very sorry. My two love the water, I just never dreamed something like this was possible. It is so obvious that you gave Pixie a wonderful life and that you loved her very much. There is no way you could have ever known this could happen. Thank you for being so committed to this breed that you were able to share this inspite of your pain to avoid this from happening to others. You and your family will be in my prayers.

brotymo
25th April 2009, 03:06 AM
Thanks Stacy710, in many ways, it feels like Pixie died just days ago though it has been 10 months. I was watching the videos that we had shot Christmas morning year before last (when Pixie was almost 5 months old). I had forgotten she was in them, and when the camera panned over her lying under the tree with a chew toy, I could hardly breath. It felt like she was there again and I missed her so bad just watching her chew the bone and get up and walk around to see everyone. These little dogs dig deeper into the heart than ought to be legal, and it is almost unbearable to lose them. I had looked forward to many long years with her. She lived a week shy of 11 months, but I couldn't have loved her more if it had been 11 years. I guess for the next 10 or 15 years I will be feeling like she should still be with me. She will always be in my heart.

rajacadoo
25th April 2009, 06:03 AM
Although i don't know you or Pixie personally... I was in tears reading this thread, all the peoples replies and thoughts for you and pixie are amazing :). Im sure she is happy in Rainbow Heaven now :).

RIP Pixie.

Rajacadoo

brid kenny
25th April 2009, 01:07 PM
Just read this.... so very sorry.

sugarkane74
25th April 2009, 10:40 PM
So sorry to hear your sad news about little Pixie. My heart goes out to you and your family.xx

harleyfarley
26th April 2009, 12:01 PM
same here, what else can i say, thanks for shareing. di

the doll
27th April 2009, 12:05 PM
I am so sorry to hear about poor Pixie, my thoughts are with you. I had tears in my eyes reading your story. :hug:

brotymo
27th April 2009, 12:13 PM
I thank everyone for your comments.
I did want to point out that this happened last summer. Time definitely heals, but she will always be missed and the tragedy will always feel so wrong (I run how differently I should have done so many things that all would have kept this from happening).
Some of the users who have joined since this happened might not notice the dates on the thread and realize when it happened. The threads got resurrected when I linked to them on the thread about swimming cavaliers. If anything, I hope others reading her story will prevent a similar tragedy from happening to any more dogs.

mlhirsch
28th April 2009, 06:14 PM
I just read your posts and tears just poured from my eyes. My heart aches for your family. I have never heard of that happening to a dog before. My thoughts and prayers are with you!