• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

need your suggestions....

Harley1

Hey everybody!
I am running into a little problem here and was hoping you all could help. I am trying to keep Harley out of a certain are, cat litter/food, and can't get a gate wide enough to go across. I just want something short so he can't jump it and we won't have to take it down everytime we want to get to that area, out bathroom is back there. It is about a foot, maybe, wider than a baby gate so it won't work. That's really the only place I have to put the cat food and litter box and he is starting to get into both. Can anyone out there think of something I can do with it? This separates the kitchen and hall. I am really not too particular about what it looks like as long as it is short and we don't have to open it everytime we want through. My mind is blank right now so I figured I would call upon all of you for ideas.....thanks :paw:

Christy,

I had this same problem and found Babies R Us to be very helpful. I measured the doorway and went there and most of the gates were not wide enough, but they do have two that can stretch pretty far that I have no problem getting over. They have signs on all of their gates that list the dimensions and they have a much larger selection than your average Toys R Us. Hope you find one!

I have used an X-pen to cover two doorways at the same time. I have to double parts of it over, but it does the job. I bought it a while ago - maybe they come in smaller sizes so you won't have to double it up as much. I also take it outside and have used it to block off the front door. My Dad has Alzheimer's and just loves to let my 4 babies right out the front door. This way, he has to step over the x-pen to get to the front door and the dogs can't follow. I keep the gate part where my Mom can open it so she doesn't have to do the step over thing. Works great.
Bev
Oliver :paw: (bl male - 7); Riley :paw: (b&t female - 5; still recovering from SM surgery 2 weeks ago); Madison :paw: (ruby female - 4); and Oz :paw: (tri male - 11 months)

Another option is to raise the food and the litter box onto a table or shelving. My cats have their food at a shelf reached at the top of their cat tree. The litter box is turned so that the opening is towards the base of another cat tree where two posts that support the tree form a kind of baffle that the cats can go through to the box, but the dogs cannot fit through. There are also enclosed litter boxes where the cat goes i through a raised opening than goes down into a passageway into the litterbox. Dogs cannot get in.

I have my cats food on top of a speaker in the living room and their litter boxes are under a table in our office that has garden fencing around it and they have to jump onto the table and down under where it's fenced off.

Thanks, these are all great ideas. I am going to do some experimenting with them. Continue with the suggestions if there are any more, it won't hurt in case these don't work. The only thing about the long gate is, is that I don't think one of my cats will jump over it. I need something about 1/2 that height. THANKS AGAIN!

Thanks for the update! My hubby is supposed to be making me one that looks real similar to this BUT the key word is "supposed to". LOL I think it would be worth it to just order one. Glad it's working for you....:paw:

Back