• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

:-( I'm a bad Cav mommy

nicoles94

I was petting Tybalt last night and kept feeling rough skin on his neck. I took a closer look and he had a rash on his neck underneath his collar. His collar isn't too tight but it looks like when I take him for walks, the collar would rub and pull on his neck when he would try pull ahead on the leash. He gets excited when he knows we are going to walk over to see the other dogs and tries to run ahead.

I went and got him a harness today. Hopefully that will be more comfortable for him.

A harness is better anyway for small dogs. :) You should be able to easily slide two fingers under the collar -- if there's a rash there, it is either too tight or he is reacting to something in the collar -- brief walks is unlikely to cause a rash -- you might want to talk to a vet or try a different collar, depending on what the one you use is made of. If he pulls hard, you can work on this in a training class or using some of the links I have pinned in the training section to good training sites. Or get a Sense-ible front clip harness to eliminate pulling. (y)

From one website:

An improper fit can adversely affect the health and well being of your best friend. A collar should be snug enough to keep from slipping over the dog’s head, but not so snug that it could cause coughing, or restrict breathing. A general rule of thumb is to measure your pet’s neck, and then add a couple of inches to that measurement. Once the collar is on, you should be able to slide two fingers under the collar without difficulty.

If you still have problems with the collar (not sure if your dog is required to wear one with tags most of the time ?) try a hemp or cotton one. I can recommend the good dog company hemp cord collars they are gorgeous and breathe better than nylon/leather collars therefore causing less irritation for sensitive dogs. I would not recommend walking a cav on any collar though as has already been said.

http://www.thegooddogcompany.com/hemp_corduroy_collection_12.php

If you still have problems with the collar (not sure if your dog is required to wear one with tags most of the time ?) try a hemp or cotton one. I can recommend the good dog company hemp cord collars they are gorgeous and breathe better than nylon/leather collars therefore causing less irritation for sensitive dogs. I would not recommend walking a cav on any collar though as has already been said.

http://www.thegooddogcompany.com/hemp_corduroy_collection_12.php

Thanks! I will look into these. I suppose I don't have to leave the collar on all the time, but I feel so much better if I do. It has his tags on there and if Heaven forbid he were to escape the house or fence somehow and ran off, at least he would have something on there to id him. He is microchipped, but the ID tags offer a level of visible id as well.

I like the harness, it feels better for Tybalt I am sure and it's easier to manage him on the leash, IMO. He fells the commands I give the leash a lot better and acts more quickly to follow those commands.

Isn't Tybalt recovering from a skin condition (mites?)? The problem with his skin on his legs could simply be spreading around his neck (perhaps due to the irritation of the collar).

A harness is a good way to go for walks, anyway; until his skin condition heals, though, you might want to try leaving his collar off.

Back