• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How long can you safely crate a Cavalier?

hbmama

Dottie is crate trained. She loves her crate, sleeps all night in it and when I have to go out for a few hours in the day, she is fine. I have never left her for longer than 3 hrs at a time, usually it is only 1 or 2 while I run to the store. She is always sleeping and quietly waits until I let her out when I return.

Tomorrow though, I will be out of the house for at least 5, maybe 6 hours. Do you think I can, just tomorrow, leave her crated for that long? How long have you others been able to safely crate your dogs during the day??

Like you I aim for no more than two hours, but, in the past have been delayed (only a couple of times), meaning that Teddy and Joly were crated, together, for 5 hours.

I think our dogs sleep a lot when we are out, so perhaps the odd long spell wouldn't hurt, provided that the dog can hold it's toileting for that length of time and the weather isn't hot.

Dakota is 4.5 years old and can go for a maximum of 7 hours. However, this has only happened when our dog walker called in sick. Normally, I try for no longer than 4 hours. After the 7 hours she was VERY hyper and loves to go for a run with me. Just remember to give her a good walk before and a good walk after. I plan for a 30min. prep time and a 30min. cool down after being gone. I think that's crucial for any crate time longer than a hour. I hope this helps!

Qnotje is now crated when I'm at work, for now I go home at lunch time to feed her and let her pee.. But by August I hope that she can be outside with the other 2 during the day (now she can still escape through the fence) but when the weather is bad she will be crated for like 7-8 hours.. (Although as long as she isn't 6months, and she is inside, I'll probably go home for lunch) As soon as she's grown up, she'll stay with the other two, with bad weather they remain in the house (behind their baby gate) until we're home, none of them have problems with this..

They sleep most of the time, every time I get home, Qnotje is yawning cause I woke her up.. When I do get home, we go for a walk, we normally go for a 45min - 1hr walk every day..

So it's just a matter of them getting used to it.;
And I know there are a lot of people that disapprove of keeping dogs when you both have fulltime jobs, but I'm SURE that our cavs are as happy as yours.. It's just getting used to.. And of course, they have each other.. :)

So good luck, and I'm quite confident she will be fine ;) After all, how long is she in there during the night? ;)

Here's my personal opinion....and keep in mind that it's only my opinion. :)I would be uncomfortable leaving my two crated for 6 hours. The only reason is because they've never been crated that long during the day. They sleep in their crates all night long (9 hours) but I've never crated them during the day for more than 4 hours. Do you have someone who could pop in after 4 hours and let her out for a bit? I had to do that a few weeks back when I knew I would be out of the house for up to 6 hours. My neighbor came over and let the dogs out to go potty and get a little attention. If not....do you have an x-pen you could put around the crate so she wouldn't have to be in the crate the whole time? Just a couple of thoughts.

Thanks Cathy and all of you for your replies. I REALLY don't feel comfortable crating her for that long so I have my folks coming over to babysit their "grand-dog" this afternoon. I appreciate all of your input and replies though!!! Now I can happily enjoy my day!!! :p

My dogs are pretty Lucky. I work from home, but sometimes there are just places to be and things to do. When I just had Lucky she had gotten to the point where she didn't have to be crated if I was gone for 3 or 4 hours, but then we got Brett, and he won't stay in the crate without Lucky. So when I leave they both go in the crate. I definitely feel like it is safer that way. There have been a few times I have had to leave them for 6-8 hours... and they are just fine. Then again, I make sure to let them out before I leave and let them out ASAP when I get home. All they really seem to do is sleep. Doesn't seem to hurt them. Then again, I don't do it very often.

Just wondering (for future reference) what size crate do you use for 2 cavaliers?

The crate we use is about 3 feet long x 2 feet wide, and both of our boys fit in the crate quite comfortably. When they're not in the crate they're laying all over each other anyways, so I don't think they mind being in the same crate! :lol:

I think mine is about the same length... and they both have more than enough room to stand and even walk around. I find that they just lay on each other in there... much like they do when they aren't in a crate. Poor Lucky, she's always the one being layed on!

We had the same issue last weekend.

We were going to an Air Show an hour away from home.

Rosie is nearly 16 months old and had never been left "free to roam" the house, unattended.

It's quite hot and humid now, so we left both pups "free", with a couple of wee pads behind the chair. (the only remaining place we need them!)

Our daughter came home on her lunch break to walk "the girls", replenish the water dish etc.

We were gone longer than expected d/t traffic congestion but it worked out very well.

At least we now know that we can leave them alone, if necessary.

I was quite surprised to see some dogs at the Air Show.

Between the lack of shade, noise from jets and choppers, I wouldn't have thought it appropriate for pups.

Back