• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ear chewing

lyndsea

does anyone else's cavlier pup chew their own ears? ours has started doing it the last couple of weeks, she's only 4 months old so hoping it's just a pup thing she will grow out of. she also chews at her own feet and tail, we try to distract her with toys or chews but she will soon go back to doing it. should i be worried about this, or will she just grow out of it? she is the first cavalier (first dog come to that) that i've had.

I would definitely try to discourage the hair biting by distracting her in a positive way with toys and chews. :flwr:

Yes, our little Jato enjoys chewing on his ears too. He rolls around on the floor, and then takes his paws and sort of combs one of his ears into his mouth. I have even found curls broken off and laying on the rug. :eek: I'm not sure why he does it, but when I catch him doing it, I have to pick him up and direct his attention to something else. He doesn't do it alot thank goodness, but I guess it's kind of fascinating to them since their ears are so long.

That's a good thought, about the food on the ears, but I know for sure that's not why Jato puts them in his mouth. He eats a dry kibble from a bowl that his ears don't get into. He seems to chew them when he is being silly and rolling around on the floor. I guess he finds them interesting since they are so long, and are hanging around his face. :roll:

Amie likes to try and chew my ears!
She also does try chew her own ears/feet/tail but we just distract her with toys.

jato sounds exactly like charlie, she does the combing the ear into her mouth thing and even after dry food. we bought her a kong the other day and that seems to be keeping her really busy :)

Piper chews on her ears, chases her tail, scares herself and anything and everything else that makes them look "stupid." she is eleven months, hoping she grows out of this eventually!

Back