View Full Version : Blind Bleinham Puppy Free to good home

27th June 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi there,

There is a 6 wk old pup on www.irishdogs.ie (http://www.irishdogs.ie), he is in wexford and is free to a good home.He is IKC Reg, vaccinated etc.
I would adopt him myself but I have no idea how to train a pup that is blind.
A phone number is listed on the advert for the breeder if anyone can offer a good home.http://www.irishdogs.ie

27th June 2008, 09:02 PM
I have told Karlin allready.

27th June 2008, 09:05 PM
Hes not ready for a new home for 2 more weeks,he is still with mum.He has been vet checked and no other problems found.

27th June 2008, 09:20 PM
:( Poor little guy, I hope he finds a good home...Wish I could take him...

28th June 2008, 12:09 AM
Tips for blind puppies (http://www.blinddogs.com/puppy.htm)

Hope the little one finds a home

28th June 2008, 08:15 AM
I hope it goes to a happy loving home with another dog so it has something to guide it. Me...well I couldnt let it go it would be staying with me.:)

28th June 2008, 09:00 AM
There is a women in the town I live, I often see her in the vet and she has a blind sheltie and honestly would never have known!

28th June 2008, 09:33 AM
Blind dogs adjust really well. You train them the same way as any dog but obviously cannot ever let the dog off lead unless you reach a point where an older dog is very well trained on recall, and in a very safe area where there's absolutely no risk of traffic (eg out on a train in the countryside) but better to keep on a long lead. You need to be the kind of person who does not change the furniture around a lot -- the puppy will learn a house pretty darn well and a garden too. I know people with blind dogs who do take them off lead and say you'd not know they were blind. Should go to a home with at least one other dog. If I didn't have as many as I do have already, I'd take him.

Dogs rely far more on scent then sight.

The owner needs to be extremely careful in homing this dog -- this is one that could easily end up where it shouldn't.

Barbara Nixon
28th June 2008, 10:25 AM
If anyone could take this puppy, given guidance, there are people on Dogpages, who have dogs with various disabilities and so could help.

28th June 2008, 01:22 PM
The poor little puppy i hope that it gets a good home

28th June 2008, 01:28 PM
I pray that the pup is placed in the perfect home to thrive. :xfngr:

29th June 2008, 01:45 PM
In case there is any confusion here, I want to make clear that I am NOT homing this puppy or looking for foster or offering homing support through Irish Cavalier Rescue.

If someone is interested in this puppy, they can check the breeder's original posts or pM me and I will try to put you in touch.

I have not been approached by the owner, to start with, so the question of taking this puppy in has not arisen in the first place. This is simply a pointer to this puppy which needs a home and has been posted by a third party. But this situation runs up against my own ethos in doing rescue -- which is not to take on what I cannot manage. As I am a small rescue with small finances and also take lifetime responsibility for all ICR dogs, I only take on dogs I feel I can provide lifetime backup for. I do not feel I can make that commitment with a totally blind dog -- as I absolutely could not take this dog in and keep it for its lifetime if it is returned at some future point (as it would be very hard to rehome). It is one thing to home an older dog or a young dog with a health issue that is easily managed; it is quite another to take in a dog that most homes will not be willing to take which means it would become my personal responsibility. This is one of the hard decisions of doing rescue. You have to operate within your abilities and means or things can quickly collapse and turn disastrous.

I feel such a puppy should be the breeder's lifetime responsibility -- so that if the breeder cannot home a dog of her breeding, especially a special needs dog, this puppy should never come into rescue in the first place. This kind of problem -- and finding a solution -- should be expected on occasion by any responsible breeder and just as any rescue will take a back a rescue dog for lifetime, so should a good breeder have a lifetime commitment to his/her puppies. If a breeder breeds a difficult to home puppy, that puppy is rightly their lifetime commitment. I hope that is the approach this breeder will take as if it cannot be homed, such a puppy should not come into rescue at all. :thmbsup: I do understand the breeder is doing what she can. :)

For anyone interested in this little guy:

There are significant commitments anyone would be making in taking on a blind dog (I am happy to talk privately to anyone interested :) ) -- and while I reiterate again that ownership isn't necessarily difficult, it will be a challenge and does require some longterm accommodation: to guarantee such a dog is always kept safe; to not be the type that likes to rearrange the house or move house a lot; to realise there will be some longterm medical responsibilities to care for the eyes (especially depending on what caused the blindness) and perhaps to cover the surgery for them to be removed as often they become a problem and cannot be kept moistened enough etc.

Such a dog is also very special and can be especially rewarding for the right home. It is just important that the home be fully emotionally, rationally and financially committed from the start and understand the long term needs of such a dog. :)

29th June 2008, 02:15 PM
Just curious, why would a 6 week old pup already have had it's vaccinations?

29th June 2008, 03:30 PM
It would likely have had its first vax, but not the whole series. That is the normal time for the first puppy vax as it is the time the pups are weaned and may lose their immunity from the milk.

From Drs Foster and Smith:

When should puppies be vaccinated?

The length and timing of the window of susceptibility is different in every litter, and even between individuals in a litter. A study of a cross section of different puppies showed that the age at which they were able to respond to a vaccine and develop protection (become immunized) covered a wide period of time. At six weeks of age, 25% of the puppies could be immunized. At 9 weeks of age, 40% of the puppies were able to respond to the vaccine. The number increased to 60% by 16 weeks of age, and by 18 weeks, 95% of the puppies could be immunized.


Drs. Foster and Smith prefer to vaccinate puppies with a combination vaccine at six weeks of age initially, with boosters given every three weeks until the puppy is about sixteen weeks of age. We feel that this schedule will help protect the widest range of dogs.

Dr Dodds recommends around 9 weeks to start for *minimal* coverage (that can definitely be different from what many vets feel is adequate for specific cases) -- and note Dr Dodds herself prefaces her advice with this clear statement:

Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It's a matter of professional judgment and choice.

29th June 2008, 03:45 PM
Oh I didn't know that, I thought it more common to start vaccines at 10 weeks then 12 weeks.

29th June 2008, 05:12 PM
Most UK vets and Irish vets do 2 week courses whereas in the US it is usually three weeks (as Dodds recommends) -- they are just different types of series of injections. Dodds just starts them later but that does present some risk -- consider that even if only 25% of puppies are immunised at a 6 week injection it also means at 6 weeks, a fourth of pups in a litter may have no immunity or weak immunity and be susceptible to serious disease. Some breeders and vets feel comfortable with that window and others don't and opt for starting bit later. That is why so many puppies die in places like pounds where they generally are unwanted litters anyway so people haven't given any vax at all, and they are often exposed to live virus brought in by older immune-protected dogs. Once present the virus is very difficult to kill and can live for months. I'd say 6-7 weeks for the first vax is the general norm for most breeders while those who want a minimal programme start later.

29th June 2008, 05:28 PM
I like the sound of a 3 course set of vaccinations. I'm not in favour of combined vaccines anyway but what can you do, I assume they split them slightly if it's done in 3 stages or maybe they have more vaccines, rabies for example which we don't have here.

29th June 2008, 07:44 PM
If this poor pup was in England I would be on the phone - I so hope he doesnt end up in the wrong hands,

29th June 2008, 07:45 PM
If you are seriously interested, it might be possible for forum members to help with transport?

Any volunteers?

29th June 2008, 10:25 PM
If you are seriously interested, it might be possible for forum members to help with transport?

Any volunteers?

It's been done before, hasn't it Nicki! :).

I'd gladly help with arrangements if a transport run was to take place.

29th June 2008, 10:35 PM
You can fly with a puppy once it is over 10 weeks and fully vaccinated with Aer Arann www.aerarann.ie I have done this (birmingham to waterford) Costs £18 sterling for the dog and crate. Very good service.

If anyone in the UK is interested. We will sort out things this side like vaccinations etc. I would imagine time is of the essence.

We see many blind puppies in training class and they do well. There are tons of tips that help with training and everyday living but it is not something to take lightly (as with any new dog).

29th June 2008, 10:40 PM
To add

If anyone in the UK will offer a good home to this baby I will call the owner and book the puppy, get vet checked, vaccinated, wormed, meet you at the airport/port or deliver to an appropriate transporter such as ASH www.ashanimalrescue.com/transport and start some training. Would also need someone to be a home checker.

Of course this is IF the breeder is ok with all of this.

I have until the 25th August then I am gone away for about 11 days.


29th June 2008, 10:48 PM
I understand there are already two possibilities for this puppy in Ireland, one at least which sounds a decent opportunity for him. :)

I think if this puppy went to the UK, it would need to be done in conjunction as usual with a good UK rescue willing to do a homecheck and provide full backup as there's always a possibility that someone will take on more that they are ready for and it is simply too difficult to bring a dog back.

I have been in touch already with a possibility if all other options fall through so we can work together. :)

However this breeder has not chosen to ask for help from rescue though she is aware that option is there to discuss the situation. So at this time there is no reason to believe anything will need to be done. I believe this puppy will be homed by the breeder.

30th June 2008, 11:22 AM
I did click on the link provided but although I could find a breeder in wexford on the list of breeders I couldnt find any details on the pup himself?

30th June 2008, 11:36 AM
hope he finds a home, if our chesney was older I would have offered to ferry him across to england.

30th June 2008, 03:42 PM
The advert is still there if you do a search for "blind"...

Tara and Fran, thank you so much for your offers...it sounds like there might be a home for him in Ireland, whcih would be better than transporting him really - :xfngr: for this wee guy.

30th June 2008, 06:05 PM
I think it is better to wait and see if he goes to one of the possible homes rather than have further direct contact with the breeder, please :thmbsup:. The breeder is aware of the offer of help and a board member is in direct contact with her already. She has not indicated she needs help and there are two offers of a home in Ireland so the puppy should not need to go abroad, which could be very stressful for a blind dog.

If the puppy comes into rescue I will post to let people know and the next steps to take, then they can go from there. NB: There will likely be some significant vet costs associated with this dog so people need to be willing to cover those -- most likely he will need his eyes removed for example, which will probably cost in the region of euro1000. Rescue CANNOT cover this. His primary offer of a home is in a situation where this could be done conveniently and I am very reluctant to have lots of people contact the breeder directly and alter the current efforts she herself is making to home the puppy and its chances at that particular home. :thmbsup:

1st July 2008, 12:51 PM
I havent made contact just so you know