• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My little guy hates to be wet...

nicoles94

We've had a lot of rain here lately and I've had a really hard time getting Tybalt to go outside or walk in wet grass. He will NOT use the bathroom outside when it is wet unless I am right there with him. He would rather hold it for as long as he can then go outside and get his paws wet. Even my cat, who is a bit crazy I admit, loves to roll around in the wet grass. I've never seen a dog who disliked getting a little bit wet before or romping through cool, wet grass! Our neighbors have a wee Yorkie and she barrels through the wet grass like a madwoman! It's quite hysterical! She will come up to the fence and nudge her nose through it and barks at Tybalt to join her. He would rather sit on the dry concrete. Any other time, he would join in her playing, just not when the grass is wet. And it seems we are due for even more rain later on.

I thought about getting him some of those booties so his paws wouldn't get wet. Do you think that would help some? Or would the booties just make it worse?

It's kind of funny to see his face when I take him out on the wet grass, sort of like "Awww mom, do I have to?"

I think this might be a trait some cavs have! Cleo does NOT like the rain, is cross if you try to take her out in the rain, and will hold on forever seemingly rather than go outside when it's raining - even if you take her out for the specific purpose! :rolleyes:

I have the same problem with Ollie. He refuses to go out in the wet grass even first thing in the morning when I know he really has to go! I end up having to put him in his crate, because he would pee on the rug and not hold it unfortunately. So, I don't have a solution for you, sorry!

I should probably add that we stay out there with her until she goes when she needs to. Now she knows that we will all stay outside until she has performed come rain or shine that she pretty much does so straight away so she can get back inside where its dry, and of course gets lots of treats, cuddles, praise etc

I should probably add that we stay out there with her until she goes when she needs to. Now she knows that we will all stay outside until she has performed come rain or shine that she pretty much does so straight away so she can get back inside where its dry, and of course gets lots of treats, cuddles, praise etc

We have to do the exact same thing with both of our girls. :) Geordie doesn't seem to care if he gets wet though. :cool:

Whew! I feel a lot better knowing he isn't alone in his dislike for wet grass! Maybe it's the 400+ years worth of breeding to be Royal lap dogs that makes the very thought of them walking on wet grass and mud to be below them:p

My little boy has no problem going out in the rain. I'm at the back door telling him to hurry up and come in before he gets soaked! :lol:

Hali used to hate the rain and I bought a raincoat which did the trick when she was younger but at 11 months does not mind the rain if I am out with her which I always am when taking her to go potty. My cocker spaniel on the other hand would always fuss going out in the rain. She was terrible!

Baxter is the same way. Only, he also hates bath time. He acts like it's the end of the world! I think it must be a Cav thing.

Bobby hates anything to do with water. When we walk he will never go through a puddle. If the grass is wet he will walk on the path always. He's afraid of the water in the sea. And I won't even mention bath times. His tail instantly goes in between his legs when he sees the bathroom. He won't even go into the bathroom now on his own.

Charlie doesn't like it when it's raining or too windy.
He has been barking early in the morning (5:00 AM or so), but heads straight to his dish before he goes outside.

Alex doesnt like the rain either,he'd rather hold himself for hours rather than go in the rain and the weather were having lately is a joke but he's very good apart from an accident or 2.As for the bath he loves it,he doesnt fuss or panic he seems to enjoy it,he also loves playing in the sea with the kids,they do be so cold afterwords thats the part that I dont like but they have great fun anyway:jump:

Mine hate the rain too and won't even go out when the paving stones are a bit wet...:confused:

Back