• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

my ruby sick every morning

RoyalRuby

details: 5 months old, female, sticky out genitalia, recently had a 'blockage'

hello, my dog has recently had a few ailments. Firstly a wee infection which needed antibiotics. Then a blockage, the thing with the blockage is when we took her to the vets she was in a real bad state; dizzy, bozeyed, frothing and druelling almost as though she was rabid with rabies. Now 'over' the blockage, able to poo a bit better. Now though she is being sick every morning, the substance is liquid, white and full of little bubbles. It is always like this. She eats grass, is this a definate no-no or is she simply making herself sick?

thank you

She definitely needs to see the vet immediately. I would get her in today.

It sounds like she has some sort of gastric problems but I'd also want to be sure the blockage is cleared -- they can swiftly kill a dog. You are very lucky she is still alive given the state she was in -- good that you acted quickly to get her to the vet. If she is vomiting daily, there is something wrong though and I would be fearful it is related to the blockage.

I agree! Given the circumstances and health history, get a vet's opinion and double check that her system is clear of blockages.

Hopefully, this isn't serious, but you dont want to take the risk.

I have known some dogs to wake up very hungry, and their tummies are full of stomach acid, causing them to vomit white, frothy fluid. A late treat or an early breakfast can help.

However, until a vet suggests this as the problem (after clearing other issues) there's no way for anyone on a discussion board to know what's going on. I'd definitely make the vet your first stop given the dog's history.

thanks

thanks for all the suggestions will definatley book her into the vet and let you know what the problem was.
thank you.. its so strange as shes perfectly happy in herself, eating fine and 'pooing' fine. thanks again

Our Ruby was also sick in every morning and tried to eat grass, when her stomach got upset (happens every spring for some reason). Unless you know that the grass is clean -- no pesticides, fertilizers, other pet's or animal stool, etc. -- do not let her eat it!!! Dogs try to eat grass to induce vomiting to clear their system, but unless grass is very clean and your dog is used to eating it, it will do a lot more harm than good. After eating a lot of grass, your ruby might get a very inflamed stomach, basically aggravating her condition. Definitely take her to the vet ASAP to check for this or more serious problems and keep her from eating grass. Good luck, hope everything turns out OK.

the grass is clean no other pets so no other 'poo'. i'm going to keep a keen eye on her and ring the vet. im not too worried about her at the minute becasue shes perfect in herself, i believe it might be what some else suggested about night hunger ad i dont feed her close to bed time as she would 'poo' inside at night but im not going to worry about that and will feed her before bed to stop her getting sick. i will of course still call the vet and ask about it. thanks for all your advice im glad others have had this experience i thought she was just being wierd. any good food suggestion i am thinking of gettin james wellbeloved as it seems more natural than 'bakers gravy bite' they look horrible.

James Wellbeloved is a great food choice. :)

I wouldn't feed her a meal right before bedtime (and note Moviedust was saying a treatm not a meal) -- instead just split her daily meal into two halves and give them morning and evening. Or give 2/3rds in the morning, 1/3rd at night. It isn't a great idea to feed a dog a regular meal right before bedtime as it just gets their bowel active eventually. I have a dog that can get an upset stomach and vomit if he sleeps on an empty stomach and I give him a James Wellbeloved biscuit at bedtime and a slightly smaller morning meal (well that is what I give all my dogs). I give the larger not smaller biscuits. They are nice and healthy but not a full heavy meal at bedtime -- just enough so they don;t have an empty stomach all night long.

This is what a vet advises in cases of diarrhea OR vomiting (the article is pinned at the top of this section):

Warning Signs of Serious Disease in Dogs

1. Protracted vomiting and diarrhea

There are at least 63 causes of vomiting in dogs, but the most common cause is simply known as dietary indiscretion. Dogs who get into the trash, eat animal carcasses or drink pond water all can end up with very dicey gastrointestinal tracts.

Other more serious causes of vomiting and diarrhea include diseases of the pancreas, liver or kidney, or other primary intestinal diseases such as a blockage, parasites, cancer, ulcers or inflammation. Your veterinarian may need laboratory tests and X-rays to sort these out.

The first important criteria is to confirm that your dog is drinking water and able to hold it down without vomiting. Then, evaluate your dog’s attitude: Is she lethargic, lacking appetite and not interested in her usual activities? This can be a sign of serious underlying disease. Finally, note whether the vomiting and diarrhea appear to be worsening or fail to improve in 24 hours. Without improvement in 24 to 36 hours, it is time for a visit with your veterinarian to rule out serious disease.

You are definitely dealing with regular, protracted vomiting and you do need vet advice. It's good that she seems well in herself but this isn't necessarily meaningful in a dog that is constantly vomiting. Daily vomiting can actually burn out the lining of their esophagus as the stomach acid will burn it away, so you really do need a vet to investigate what is going on and look for a solution.

My own opinion is that eating grass is pretty normal and both dogs and cats normally seek out some greens in this way from time to time. I have two dogs that simply like to eat grass and will at any opportunity. Two others will eat it anytime they have a stomach upset. It both helps them vomit and helps them pass whatever is n their bowel by stimulating the bowel to start up (eating does the same for us!). As log as the grass hasn't been recently sprayed by pesticides and isn't the really tough spiky kind I don't think there's any problem -- my vets don't think there is -- but check with your own vet as different people may have different advice. (y)

the vomiting i not changing its always the same amount and colour and shes fine drinking water i will check with the vet and let you all know thaks for all the help and advice, its been very useful.
james wellbeloved does look good from the website so ill try her on that.
thanks again:)

yay

shes not been sick today :jump:
i gave her a puppy biscuit before bed and no sick in the morning.
thanks everyone

Has she vomitied again since last reply? It sounds like maybe worms/parasite? That can cause frothy vomit as well.

Back