• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

reasons to get a cavalier

gwyndog

Hi, I'm new to the site and i hoping to be able to persuade OH that a cavalier is not just a couch potato he thinks. He has been brought up with big dogs, German Sheppard’s, Dobermans etc and until recently we did have a border collie. So downsizing to a cav is a bit of a step. The two breeds that I’ve always liked and wanted is a cocker spaniel and a cavalier. We did re-home a cocker at the beginning of the year. And sadly now because we lost our border collier a few months ago we are looking for a second dog. Now i would really like a cav, but i would like OH to see past the 'toy' part and the reputation as a lap dog only. I would like him to see that a cav would be able to fit into our home and be quite happy to play in the garden or walk the 5 miles around the country park with us etc etc. And fit in with our cocker - who is a show type, not a manic working, who is equally happy with the above walks etc but is also happy to have a cuddle in the evenings.

We did foster a little tri coloured cav a few weeks ago, but she like our cocker was an ex-breeding (probably puppy farm) girl who was very timed and not use to living in a home. (all that can be overcome with time, as our cocker has), but she was not with us long enough for her to come out of herself properly ( although she has now gone to her nice new forever home :D ), but this did not help much when it came to OH seeing a cav at it's full potential.
I would be interested in anything you can say about the behaviour of your cav’s and their energy levels.

Last edited:
I think because of their popularity and broad ownership in the UK (and propensity to gain weight if overfed) and being a favourite of little old ladies too, they have a reputation as a fat lap dog.

They are not seen in quite such a stereotyped way in the US, where the breed isn't as well known. There, cavaliers hold some of the top agility titles.

Lots of us here regularly do agility with our cavaliers (see my guy pictures below). Jaspar has routinely outperformed the collies in his classes. :lol: They are also well able for swimming and hiking -- a fit cavalier would have no problem with hikes of several miles. They are also highly trainable because they are so food motivated.

A cavalier is only a couch potato if people don't bother to do anything with them. A healthy cavalier will relish a very active lifestyle! Dogs of any breed really need a good hour's exercise daily anyway; few people could actually keep up with the ability of their dog of any breed or size to workout hard! :)

main.php

My house was being rebuilt the boss had a cav, i was dog sitting while he was at work! i fell in love and noticed that all cavs had same personality so much love, i just had to get one and could not imagine life without her! she has bought me much joy happiness and is very loyal! I really couldnt be without her.

I personally prefer smaller dogs, but I have said in posts in the past that I don't feel these dogs fit in the "toy" classification. If I had a choice, I would put them in the non-sporting class. Just MHO.

These are very active dogs if you want them to be, and very snuggly "velcro" dogs if you want them to be. I am always amazed at how easy-going and adaptable they are. They really do mesh with whatever mood you are in. If you feel like going to for a jaunt down the street, they're up for it. If you feel like taking in a movie, they will gladly sit on your lap the entire time watching with you. They act like a big dog in many ways but aren't in the way like big dogs are. I think they are just as close to perfect as you could get.

Mika is only a year and a half old, but she is getting to be a real star at agility. People are always amazed at how young she is, since she does so well - a real natural ability. She can barely contain herself when we pull up to where the class is.

She will also play fetch for literally hours. Today I was sitting out on the deck reading for about 2 hours. The entire time she kept bringing me her wabba to throw for fetch. I finally had to quit because my arm was tired. No couch potato here, although when that is what I want, she's certainly game for that as well.

Karlin, that is an AMAZING picture! Adorable! And I loved the videos, debjen! I bet Sasha would love agility.

I think because of their popularity and broad ownership in the UK (and propensity to gain weight if overfed) and being a favourite of little old ladies too, they have a reputation as a fat lap dog.

They are not seen in quite such a stereotyped way in the US, where the breed isn't as well known. There, cavaliers hold some of the top agility titles.

Lots of us here regularly do agility with our cavaliers (see my guy pictures below). Jaspar has routinely outperformed the collies in his classes. :lol: They are also well able for swimming and hiking -- a fit cavalier would have no problem with hikes of several miles. They are also highly trainable because they are so food motivated.

A cavalier is only a couch potato if people don't bother to do anything with them. A healthy cavalier will relish a very active lifestyle! Dogs of any breed really need a good hour's exercise daily anyway; few people could actually keep up with the ability of their dog of any breed or size to workout hard! :)

main.php
That is a gorgeous pic -the epitomy of a dog :luv:

while my Pixie loved to snuggle and was happy to do that, she got most excited by the prospect of a good active play session. She'd play hide and seek in the house with the kids. The would tell her stay, then run and hide and she would run and whine and look for them until she found them, and then go crazy with excitement when she did. She loved to fetch and she had this game with my son where she would race him to the trampoline. She was fast as lightning, too! When we got her at 9 weeks, she could already outrun us! I loved the way she would go from active fun to a quiet snuggle whenever it was time to shift gears.

Omg that is amazing even i hadn't thought of cav as doing agility, even after we did it with our first border collie. Thanks for posting the videos i will have to get OH to watch them after work tonight.

As with getting any dog we are not in a rush to do so, and we will take careful time and consideration. Hopefully we will be able to foster a few more cav's before we finally come to our discision. Although this weekend we should be getting another cocker on foster placement.

oooh angel is most defiantly NOT lazy lol.. dont get me wrong she LOVES cuddles n that but as these pictures will show she is a little loony lol

angelcakes.jpg

angel laying in the grass
editcrops007.jpg

angel and pip running in the sand

editcrops025.jpg

angel has to be centre spotlight lol
editcrops024.jpg

agen with pip
editcrops023.jpg

infact she rarely sits still
editcrops022.jpg

here she comes again

editcrops020.jpg

another
editcrops019.jpg

and another
editcrops015.jpg

dont know where she was off but she had fun
ourwalk074.jpg

finally she sat down lol
ourwalk066.jpg

and shes off agen
ourwalk184.jpg

i have to add this one so you know she is actually cute and not hilariously funny looking like some of those running shots lol
thegirlsresting.jpg

if you show your hubby these pics hell laugh and then he will know cavies arnt lazy butts lol..
ourwalk234.jpg

and of course after a long walk every dog needs a bite to eat
ourwalk227.jpg

a good read

Snapshot_20080627_1.jpg

and a loooong sleep

angelrunning.jpg

but of course there is always tomorrow to go for another run heehee

haha hope my many pics manage to convince your hubby...plus ^^^those other cavies are a fine example of the little fuzzballs :rah:

They are def.not couch potatoes.Alfs has loads of energy.Dont forget they need grooming every day.

This is the very first paragraph from the breed standard from the CKCSC website:

General
An active, graceful, well-balanced dog, very gay and free in action; Appearance: fearless and sporting in character, yet at the same time gentle and affectionate.

I think that pretty much says it all and supports what everyone here has said so far.

BTW, I wish I had a dollar for every spouse who was not really excited about getting a Cavalier initially (I was one of those years ago :eek:), but came around in very short order.

BTW, I wish I had a dollar for every spouse who was not really excited about getting a Cavalier initially (I was one of those years ago :eek:), but came around in very short order.

:jmp2:That has given me hope.

Thanks everone for posting your photo's they have been great to look at , very beautiful dogs

Last edited:
Yes I second that! The number of stories here and that I get from places I home rescue dogs to... where initially the woman wants a cavalier, the husband reluctantly goes along, and soon it is the husband suggesting the absolute need for a second... or a third... :rotfl:

The biggest surprise I had after Charlie arrived was his hunting instinct.
He buries his nose to the ground when we go on walks and loves to chase squirrels and birds. He watches everything, but particulary loves flying objects; birds, planes, etc.
He thinks he's a big dog and all of his best buddies are big dogs.
He can be a couch potato when he wants to be, but after chasing all those animals around, who can blame him. :paw:

People always comment on how "fit" my cavalier is, I guess the impression really is that they are just couch potatoes! Now, when we are home being lazy he is a dream lap dog and will snuggle for hours on end. He has a very low energy level inside unstimulated which is great for me if I'm trying to do some work or want to relax.

However, if I get out a toy he is ALL energy and playful excitement! My cavalier and I take long walks and go jogging on the beach. He plays fetch and knows tricks and is in really good shape (which is even more apparent when he is wet and all the fluff sticks to him :luv:)

The only drawback is their potential health risks but if you want a dog that will adore you unconditionally and show affection and soak up attention better than any other then a cavalier is for you!

I've also seen several cavaliers do agility and I bet my little guy could too if there were local classes :)

I have a flickr account open for my cavalier and his adventures http://flickr.com/photos/24034832@N08/ if you are in the mood to see MORE cavaliers in action :D

Last edited:
Back