• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Pup in 3 weeks!

redhare

We are excited and nervous to have our first pup come home in 3 weeks! A sweet little butterball of a boy! We visited our breeder this past Saturday and were able to watch the puppy evaluation, and all the others are to be show dogs.

Any tips on house training and introducing to our spoiled cats? I've read the sections on this site, just wondering if anyone has personal experiences!

Please tell us we won't raise a monster! We plan on puppy classes and have Ian Dunbar's book, plus Dog Training for Dummies. I'm so afraid of ruining him somehow!

h*lp and:jump:

Hi, Congratulations on your new puppy. You'll do fine, don't be nervous.

I introuduced my Cavalier, Scout to my two cats when I brought her home. I'm sure there is a proper way to do it, but I just put her on the floor and took my chances. My older cat walked up to her, she sniffed him, he hissed and batted her upside the head. That was it for him, she never bothered him. The younger cat ran away from her she chased him. I had to be very persistent and watch Scout carefully around the younger cat. Scout is 2 now and they get along just fine. Persistence. Good Luck

Our Pixie was very easy to housetrain. We started out in a crate, but quickly abandoned that. I was able to just put her in her bed beside me in my bed and when she got up during the night, I knew to take her out. We used puppy pads on the floor in the kitchen when we had to leave her and she'd use them if she couldn't wait until we got home. When she could hold it long enough, we stopped putting the pads down and she'd wait until we took her out. Then we put in a doggie door and she could go out on her own. She had very few accidents, and the breeder we got her from had done NO house training on the puppies.

Back