• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Irish members: please help influence animal welfare policy

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I should have posted this earlier but the deadline crept up on me. Tomorrow, Friday is the deadline for the Irish govt to receive submissions on what should go into its animal welfare bill. Anyone can make a submission.

You can read a discussion of the kind of thing you might want to submit here.

If you click on this link the government's document will download to your downloads folder and you can view it there:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/AHWBill.doc

Done! E-mail sent. Here's hoping they'll take all into consideration. I wouldn't be too worried about closing date Karlin as they're off on their holidays in Kildare St. today. But lets hope we hear about good decisions made on animal welfare when they get back!

In this case, they have to close the submissions when they say so -- all of that is auditable and they have to only accept submissions within the framework unfortunately, so do get something in if you are able!

I also rang the department of the environment press centre (with my journo hat on) to ask about the proposed puppy farm legislation. I got a reply back stating that they are finalising legislation developed from the recommendations of the puppy farm working group and the public submissions I made one then, too) and plan to publish it shortly and then bring it into law through a statutory instrument (SI). That means it doesn't need primary legislation nor Dail (parliamentary) debate. So fingers crossed they won't gut the recommendations.

For those of you doing boarding and running kennels, this will have implications for you as there are specific recommendations for requirements for kennelling dogs too.

Thanks to having a Green Party minister in this department they are finally bringing this in as it should have been nearly three years ago, through a simple SI. Fianna Fail and Minister Dick Roche had started a long delay by arguing that it needed to be brought in as primary legislation, a very long process (but if they had actually started it back then, it would already have been done...:bang:).

Back