• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Trafficking - GMTV Now!!

The video is viewable here:

http://www.giveanimalsavoice.org.uk/

More info on the campaign on www.rspca.org.uk

The MAJORITY of these imported puppies come from IRELAND where there continue to be no restrictions on puppy farmers. Hopefully this is to change very shortly with the implementation of the working group's recommendations on the issue.

However it must be said that there is a HUGE indigenous puppy farm industry inside the UK as well especially in WALES and that this sometimes is not really acknowledged. Media reports and organisations tend to blame the problem on Irish imports.

From the RSPCA.

PLEASE folks buy your cavalier puppy ONLY from club registered breeders that can provide all health check certificates and have a reputation as a *quality breeder*, not from small ads, online vendors, etc.

I would have doubts myself about that 1000 puppies from Ireland into Wales... I think a good portion of those ARE from Wales. Many Tears rescue can confirm what an active puppy farm industry exists there. :( But if even 3/4ths that figure is correct you see what a HUGE puppy farm industry there is in Ireland and why Irish people too need to be extremely careful where they get their puppy from!!

Results of an undercover investigation coupled with real-life owner experiences are unveiled by the RSPCA today to expose the grim realities of unethical 'puppy trafficking'.

As part of the campaign, undercover RSPCA officers test purchased six puppies - two of which were found to have potentially fatal illnesses.

Chardonnay, a cavalier King Charles spaniel cross, was diagnosed with pneumonia and, despite constant care, sadly died two weeks later. Frank, a mastiff, had parvovirus, but was fortunately saved by vets.

The remaining four puppies were healthy, although two had behavioural problems, and were sold with good advice and paperwork.

A short film featuring undercover footage from the investigation is available to view on the RSPCA's new campaign network website:

www.giveanimalsavoice.org.uk
[This link opens in a new window.]

People must know the risks when buying a puppy
Tim Wass, chief officer of the RSPCA inspectorate, said: "This investigation shows only a small snapshot of what is happening, but if these figures are multiplied to reflect the huge market for puppies in this country, then we are talking about a lot of sick dogs."

Consumer Direct, the government advisory service, received more than 700 puppy-related calls in 2007, many of which concerned animals who became ill soon after purchase, or who were not as described in adverts.

Mark Evans, RSPCA chief veterinary adviser, said: "Puppy trafficking is a despicable, profit-driven business. We want the dog-loving public to destroy the puppy trafficker's market.

"If you're planning to buy a puppy, do your homework. Question everything and make absolutely sure the puppy you buy has come from a loving, caring home. Let common sense prevail and if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't, so walk away."

New surveys highlight the problem
A new survey shows that 73% of vets are concerned about the trade in puppies, or 'puppy trafficking', which sees about 1,000 puppies a week imported from Ireland into Wales, and then sold on further afield, via internet or newspaper advertising, or by pet shops.

Yet in a recent online survey:

only 2% of those who bought a puppy in the last three years believed it was from Ireland

38% of those who bought a puppy from a pet shop said it got ill within a few months.

If buying a puppy, do your homework
The Society believes it is high time that people planning on buying a puppy know the risks they face if they do not do their research and get one from either a rescue centre or a responsible breeder.

Mark Evans added that mothers may be kept as nothing more than breeding machines and have a miserable life, forced to produce litter after litter.

The puppies they give birth to are treated as products and are unceremoniously passed on to unscrupulous traders or sold direct to naive new owners.

In the cases of the two sick dogs test purchased, undercover inspectors were told they had been vaccinated, when blood tests showed no evidence of this.

He said: "The RSPCA believes that many are likely to have been exposed to disease and may become seriously ill, or even die, within days or weeks of entering their new home.

"And puppies who have only experienced life on a puppy farm may be mentally unprepared for life as a family pet, making them more vulnerable to developing behaviour problems as they grow up."

I e-mailed GMTV and hopefully put my point across that there is a HUGE problem in South Wales.

Couldn't sit and look at Bradley & Jemima and not e-mail them, if that makes sense :(.

I notice someone on the comments area for the RSPCA also raises this issue.

I may go and see if I can find where they are getting that figure of 1000 puppies from Ireland a week. A week!! I'd find that extraordinary -- I don't think the ISPCA would consider the problem to be that large, nor vets I gave dealings with who would be aware of the number of puppy farms around the state. I don;t think the industry here is large enough to be producing puppies at anything like that level. :confused:

Irish Times doing a story on this for tomorrow. :rah: Another journalist is writing it, but Lisa Whelan at Dog Training Ireland has been interviewed for it.

Also: she checked on that 1000 dogs a week figure and the RSPCA feels that is a conservative figure as this is only for the Welsh ports and not for Scotland.

If so, this is truly shocking. You'd be talking about an 'industry' with probably €1 million in dogs going over to the UK monthly, if the dogs are sold for €100-200 and you include Scottish shipments.

This is a sleazy, exploitative, DISGUSTING industry as you can see in the video.

Make sure you never, ever patronise such people and this system of cruelty to cavaliers and other breeds (imagine your dog living its life reproducing in a 3x3 concrete kennel or a crate). Know your breeder and where his/her dogs come from.

Back