PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new here!

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 05:29 PM
Hi, I'm Katina from Tennessee. I am mom to Nathan and Zachary, my biological kids ages 7 and almost 5, and mom to my furkids 2 Siberian Huskies, a German Shepherd, a Cocker Spaniel, and soon to be a new Cav. puppy. Oh, don't forger the 3 kitties. I've been in Sibes for 14 years and just lost my oldest Sibe a month ago to old age. I have shown my Siberians and my oldest boy is a Champion. His name is Dillon. I showed him myself and finished with 3 majors. That was really exciting. I lost his mate and companion to bloat in march of 07, very unexpectedly as Sibes rarely bloat. I have a son out of my CH. boy as well. He's not show quality though, just a companion. My German Shepherd and Cocker are both companions as well. I just love my furkids. I have a tri girl named Hannah coming home next weekend. She's from a show breeder friend of mine in California, but is just a companion as well. I'm not able to show right now for many reasons, but the main one being that I'm taking care of my 78 yo Dad with lung cancer. I'm flying out to Cali to pick Hannah up, and fly her back home with me. I've never had a cav. before, but have owned cockers and have a general sense of their temperment-sweet. Any tips or advice for this cav. newbie? Although I'm a very experience dog person, each breed is different. I can't wait to meet and bring home my little Hannah girl. :)

sdarone
11th July 2008, 05:52 PM
how fun! a new puppy!! I live in California. Where in CA are you getting Hannah from? I have Charlie, my 1 year old Blenheim. He's a sweetheart. I would love to get a friend for him. I want a tri female this time.

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 05:59 PM
She's in San Diego. I've never been to Cali. before, so I'm looking forward to it. I need to start a new post to ask about transporting her as carry on through the airport and on the plane. I've never had a small dog before, to be able to carry one on. Charlie is so cute!!

sdarone
11th July 2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks! I love him dearly. He's such a good boy. San Diego is about an hour from me. When are you getting her? Weather is good out here now. Was a little cloudy, but they say it should be nice a sunny over the weekend. Can't beat our weather out here! you have to send pictures of Hannah! I bet she's adorable!

don't know much about transporting a puppy. Maybe someone else might know more.

Growing up I had Cocker Spaniels, but now I have Charlie and he's the best breed ever! Such a gentle lovable dog. All he wants is to cuddle with you and make you happy. You are really going to enjoy having a Cavi

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 06:10 PM
He sure is beautiful!! I'm flying next friday, the 18th, so 1 week to go, and coming home on the 20th. I can't seem to post in the caring for your cav section, so maybe I'll see if anyone replies here. I had a cocker from 1993 until 2004 that was my heart and soul. Her name was Meagan and she truly was the best dog ever. She and I had a bond like I've never had before or since. She was so loyal and sweet. I miss her every day and hope that Hannah will have more of Meagan's personality as Cavs seem to fit the description. My current cocker Molly is a busy body, never being still, always on the go, and not a cuddler at all. I love her, as that's just her personality, but I want another Meagan, so to speak.

sdarone
11th July 2008, 06:18 PM
We had several buff cockers and then one day we found a black cocker, his name was Jasper. We put up signs and no one ever claimed him so we kept him. He was probably the best one we ever had. He sounds like Meagan. He was the cuddle bug and we were lucky to have him for 10 years.

When i started to look for a puppy i wanted one with Jaspers personality and they kept saying that the Cavi is the best. I have to agree! My husband never had a dog before and at first was a little leary, but now Charlie and him hang out together. So much so that Charlie now sleeps with us!

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 06:22 PM
Awww! He does sound like a total sweetheart. That's what I'm wanting out of Hannah, a constant companion, she'll go everywhere with me that I can take her, someone to snuggle and cuddle with, and once potty trained will sleep in bed with me if she wants.

sdarone
11th July 2008, 06:28 PM
Charlie was easy to train. He never cried that first night. I had him in his crate in our room and he slept all night long. I even got up to check and see if he was breathing he was so quiet! hee, hee

the potty training is no fun, but once they have it down, its so much easier! OH i want another puppy! You are so lucky!

Send pictures when you can!

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 06:40 PM
My GSD was the easiest dog to potty train. She was fully trained at 12 wks and never has had an accident since then. I don't expect that out of Hannah, but hopefully it won't be too hard. Linda has her in a crate at night already, so she should be used to it. Here's a pic of her. She's 6 wks here.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b266/LullabyChick/HannahBanana.jpg

sdarone
11th July 2008, 06:42 PM
Oh my goodness! What a cutie!!! I love the name Hannah too. Good choice! Oh you are going to have so much fun with her! :)

sdarone
11th July 2008, 06:44 PM
if you go to my profile I have an album set up of some of my favorite shots of Charlie when he was little. Enjoy...

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 07:19 PM
That picture of him with your hubby just melted my heart!! I hope my girl is as sweet and cuddly as he is. :)

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for moving me mods! I didn't see this forum until I had already posted. Sorry!!

sdarone
11th July 2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, Joe fell in love with him pretty quickly. That's his buddy now. They like watching sports together. Charlie sits on top of the couch and lays his head on Joe's shoulders. Its quite cute!

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 07:46 PM
It's precious! If Hannah is anything like that, I'm gonna be so in love with her. Nevermind, I will be regardless. I already am and haven't even met her.

sdarone
11th July 2008, 07:48 PM
Most Cavi's are like that. At least all the ones that I know. They just are so lovable. I bet Hannah will be a dream. I bet you can't wait until she comes home.

So how did you decide on the tri vs the blenheim or the ruby? they're all so cute, its so hard to decide.

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 08:01 PM
Oh, I hope so! I am so excited, I dream about her at night, think about her in the daytime. I'm trying to figure out what I need for the trip home. I know I need a soft sided crate, pee pads, leash, collar and treats. She was the only pup in the litter. This was mom's first litter and only Hannah was born.

sdarone
11th July 2008, 08:05 PM
oh how cute. Take a towel or blanket and rub it on her mommy so she has her mommy's smell with her and she won't be scared.

I remember I took Charlie's crate over to the breeders and had his brothers and sister and mom and dad go in it and leave their scent. That's probably why he slept all night long.

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 08:06 PM
That's a great idea. I'll take a blanket for her to do that.

sdarone
11th July 2008, 08:13 PM
I was trying to think what else you might need, but i think you'll be okay all that. How exciting!

I think the blanket will help her not be so scared. She'll be really attached to you and create a close bond with you. oh the other thing i bought Charlie was this cuddle bug thing that i got at Target. you can heat it up and it she'll think she's sleeping with mom. Maybe you can get that and rub that on mom too. i'll see if i can find the cuddle thing i'm I'm talking about and post the link.

sdarone
11th July 2008, 08:19 PM
okay, its called petstages puppy cuddle pal. petsmart has it too. They run about $8 or $9, but Charlie loved it and still has it. He likes to carry it around the house and plays fetch with it. Here's the link to it at Petsmart so you can see what i'm talking about. you can warm it up in the microwave a little.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754626&utm_medium=googleproduct&mr:referralID=NA&mr:trackingCode=36CC2CB9-514F-DD11-98CA-001422107090&utm_source=cse

Tobietots
11th July 2008, 08:56 PM
Hi,

Hope you enjoy it here. :dogwlk:

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 09:18 PM
Thank you!! I know I will!

Jasperxxgabby
11th July 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi and icon_welcome from us.:)

luvmypups
11th July 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Shelli
12th July 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi & icon_welcome to the forum. Hannah is adorable :lotsaluv:

Love my Cavaliers
12th July 2008, 12:07 AM
Congrats on your little Hannah. I am sure you'll love her. Once I got one cavalier, I couldn't stop and now have four (and this is from someone who started out with a German Shepherd!!) Anyway, I have flown with my litlle puppy several times from Chicago to Tucson. He was always the star at the airport. EVeryone wants to see, touch, talk to your dog so you might have to keep people away a little bit since she's so little. I flew the first time with Oz (a tri) when he was just under 3 months. He went into the little Sherpa bag and slept the entire flight. I actually kept checking on him to make sure he was alive! We flew that same trip with him at least 4 more times (he just turned one last week). Now I let him walk through the airport on a leash and have only been stopped once. When you go through security, you will need to take off her leash and carry her through - which was always fine with me. Oz still sleeps through the flight - mostly. The last flight he got a little antsy during landing and started whining. I gave him a little treat and he settled down. Also, beofre you leave, don't feed her for a couple of hours before. After I checked in and got my boarding pass, I would check the flight status and then take him out for one last pee. If I was traveling with someone else, they would text me to keep me updated about any delays so I could keep him out longer. After landing, I always kept him in his Sherpa bag and carried him in that until I would get outside. Didn't want to take a chance that he would piddle in the airport. Hope all this helps. Have fun with her!
Bev

luvmypups
12th July 2008, 12:29 AM
HI Shelli!! and thanks Bev. I'll reply to you in the other thread. :)

littlelady
12th July 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi and icon_welcome Hannah is a cutie!:jump:

gloria
13th July 2008, 02:11 PM
:thmbsup:What a beautiful puppy, I do think Cavalier puppies are just about the prettiest of all----or am I just biased? I wish you lots of happiness with her, she will help you through the sad time you are coping with. Good luck.

sdarone
22nd July 2008, 10:06 PM
Katina,

Did you pick up Hannah? How was the plane ride home? How's she doing? so many questions!! Let us know....

luvmypups
25th August 2008, 04:11 AM
Sorry I went MIA on you. Things got crazy and I barely made it out to get her. I flew straight out and straight back all in 1 day. It was nuts. She's here, and wonderful!! I love her so much. She's got an amazing personality and loves my boys, too. The cats are her entertainment, which is really fun to watch. LOL

sdarone
26th August 2008, 01:01 AM
Oh I'm so glad she made it back safe. You'll have to post some pictures when you can. Was the travel on the plane okay?