PDA

View Full Version : Which harness for over coats?

nicola
12th July 2008, 06:37 PM
Hi just wondered which harnesses people use over winter coats? TIA

Melissa
12th July 2008, 07:11 PM
I normally sew a button hole in the back of my dogs coats for him to wear his harness under. Some of my coats for him I don't want to do that to and I use an adjustable nylon web one that way I can change with size from coat to coat.... I have like 5 different coats for Maverick.

nicola
12th July 2008, 08:01 PM
Any particular make of harness?

Justine
12th July 2008, 11:04 PM
I do the same as Mellissa ,i put the harness under the coat.

nicola
12th July 2008, 11:10 PM
I just checked coats. They are Puppia no 5 and unfortunately have no opening for harness

Justine
12th July 2008, 11:15 PM
I got all 3 of his coats from Pet Mania here in Ire,and they all have the holes for the laed to go on.You could allways just make the hole,,,

arasara
13th July 2008, 04:55 PM
Hmm, I have the puppia #5 coat in three colors.. the beige and the camo both came with harness holes, but the red did not ;)

I also put the harness underneath the jacket ;)

nicola
13th July 2008, 06:07 PM
Sara, I have the camo, black and red. The camo and black have the holes but my red also does not have the hole!! Strange eh? I am going to ask my seamstress if she can make a hole in the red one as it is actually my favourite of the colours.

MishathePooh
14th July 2008, 01:36 AM
I use a step-in-harness year round, and put it over coats in the winter. They are easy to adjust.

arasara
14th July 2008, 05:31 PM
It should be easy to make a harness hole, but then again I have had trouble with one coat. Just make sure that the seamstress has the proper machine.. I have been told it's called a "surger" to make button holes. My problem was that I didn't clarify that the first time I got it done, and they did it by hand.. which resulted in cotton stuffing coming out as well as an outlet for rain to get in :rolleyes: Ahh well, I learned my lesson!

it's weird that they only did it for certian colors. I love the #5 coats though and I got them for a pretty good price so I got 4, lol :flwr:

nicola
15th July 2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the info Sara. That is actually very helpful as I will tell my seamstress to not do it by hand. The no 5s are gorgeous. I also got mine at an excellent price...half price I believe! I have the coup d'etat in the camoflage for Charlie and it is also really nice AND it has a hole for the harness. Do you have booties for yours?

arasara
15th July 2008, 01:12 AM
I know someone who got it by hand and it was pretty much OK but again, human work is not like machine work, ya know? ;) I think if someone is experienced and was willing to spend the time, they could do a pretty good job ;)

I am actually looking into getting them the coup d' etat jackets for the upcoming winter ;) I also got the #5 jackets half price, so that's why I got 4. I like to have more than 1 coat per dog though, because in the snow and stuff, the coats get SOAKED and seem to take forever to dry back out.

Yes mine have booties.. lol :P It gets REALLY cold here in the winter, but aside from the snowballs, the booties are really actually worn to protect their feet from the salt. I live in "the city" and we generally walk sidewalks that are of course salted during the snowy months. It actually does a number on the soles of the muttlucks though and you can see exactly where each paw has been after a while.

Here are their shoes:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2076/2080301975_f9318d9113.jpg

nicola
15th July 2008, 07:12 PM
Is 'muttlucks' the make of the booties? What size do yours take? BTW, I am Canadian but got married to an Irish man and thus have been here in N. Ireland for 11 years. I grew up in Peterborough, Ont and then moved to Kingston to go to Queens Uni there. I REALLY miss the snow. Never thought I'd say that but I do. I love Ottawa and used to visit friends there quite often. I remember going to the carnival and skating on the canal...ok now I'm getting homesick lol! Just looking at your sig. and my two look very similar to yours. My Blenheim is female and the Black and Tan is the male. Yours are gorgeous in there coats!!!!!!!

arasara
15th July 2008, 11:17 PM
Yup the shoes are muttluks ~ they were actually "invented" in Toronto for the crazy sidewalks :p I actually live in Ajax right now but I'm moving to the Oshawa/Curtis boarder in June of next year . . . I'm sure you know where that is ;) Do you ever come back to Canada? I am actually originally from the states so I miss "home" a lot too :flwr:

www.muttluks.com (http://www.muttluks.com) is the URL for the shoes ~ they are good depending on what you need them for. They aren't exceptionally waterproof, so they would suck for rain, but they do pretty well with the snow; especially for salt. The bottom is made of leather which is waterproof but the top of them is a canvas like water resistent material.. but the water can go through the top. Both of mine take an XXS although Faithey with her bear paws is right on the line! I prefer it to be tighter than looser though because she kicks them off if they are too loose :eek:

it's funny that your dogs are the same as mine except for different sexes :P I think we're a few of the only people here with a bt/blen combination ;) Mine was purely by fluke, as Faith is a rescue :lotsaluv:

Thanks for the compliment on the coats.. Kosmo is alright wearing one but Faith hates it! :lol:

Elude
16th July 2008, 04:44 PM
A little off topic here but Sara where do you buy your Puppia coats? I've been wanting a coup d'etat for Zo since last winter but have had bad experiences orderering Puppia from anywhere other than Roxanne. I'll also have to get something for super little Mylee as she is no where near being able to fit into Zo's old stuff and probably never will be.

My issue is that most online stores that carry Puppia coats ship them UPS and arrive at the door with a 50.00$+ brokerage fee on *top* of the price of the coat and shipping charges. Have you ran into this? Roxanne ships USPS and its great, many won't do that though.

I got them Puppia rain coats through ipuppyzone and even after selecting USPS as shipping they sent UPS and I got the $50 brokerage fee. They then wouldn't return any of my inquiries by phone or email. :(

Getting back on topic I had to put a harness hole in Zo's winter coat. I got her a coat at Greenhawk which is a well known equestrian tack shop here. Its designed exactly like a horse coat only smaller for dogs. It was extremely well made and held up really well. I put a small step in harness on underneath. I also used muttluks after Sara's reccommendation and absolutely love them. Zo hates them but i'm sure she appreciates not having snowballs stuck between her toes and salt in her pads. I will be getting both the girls new boots in the winter. I found that after one winter of heavy use is about all they can take. They definitely had heavy use though. Zo is in an XXS and they fit her perfect. I think Mylee may be a Teeny tiny or whatever the smallest size is. Shes barely 11lbs and very very petite.

arasara
16th July 2008, 04:59 PM
Hmm Elude, to be perfectly honest with you, I generally order them when I go back home from the New York Dog Shop, and then take them back up here ;) I once ordered a $28 gooby sweater from California and ended up having to pay $15 for taxes/brokerage/handling fees :mad::mad::mad:

The one place from Canada that I DO want to try though is called Duds for Dogs from Cambridge ~ http://www.designerduds4dogs.com/harnesses.htm (http://www.designerduds4dogs.com/harnesses.htm) I've never ordered yet from these people personally, but I have asked a ton of questions and they've been really nice. I know it says $8 shipping for every item, but it's like $8 for the first item and $2 for each additional item after that. If you call them while you make your order and confirm they'll take off that charge, I think it should be fine.

They have the best Canadian prices I've seen thus far.

I think Ipuppyzone went down :( I can't seem to access their site. Did you end up ordering the right size of rain coats? How do you like the fit? I am stll considering getting them for Kosmo and Faith but haven't actually taken the plunge yet.

:flwr:

Elude
16th July 2008, 05:33 PM
Oh no, i'm going to be into trouble on that site. They have their puppia coats on sale! I may have to take the plunge and try them out. I'd much rather support a Canadian company than somewhere in the States and get hit with brokerage fees. Thank you for the link!

I love the rain coats, they are really well made and fit the girls well. I ended up getting a size large for Mylee that fits her perfect. Zo seemed to be right in between sizes and I ended up going with the XXL. Its baggy around the middle but fits well length wise. Its not hard to cinch it up with all the elastic toggles in it. They are really well designed coats. I think the XL would have fit her better in the chest and waist but would have been really short down her back. I think your guys would be an XL and XXL because I think Kosmo is smaller than Zoey? I just will never tell my fiance what I ended up paying out for those coats. I'm glad I'm happy with them or it would be a huge sore spot for me. I think they ended up being 90$ with shipping, and then the 50.00$ brokerage fee at the door. :eek:

nicola
16th July 2008, 08:03 PM
Yup the shoes are muttluks ~ they were actually "invented" in Toronto for the crazy sidewalks :p I actually live in Ajax right now but I'm moving to the Oshawa/Curtis boarder in June of next year . . . I'm sure you know where that is ;) Do you ever come back to Canada? I am actually originally from the states so I miss "home" a lot too :flwr:

www.muttluks.com (http://www.muttluks.com) is the URL for the shoes ~ they are good depending on what you need them for. They aren't exceptionally waterproof, so they would suck for rain, but they do pretty well with the snow; especially for salt. The bottom is made of leather which is waterproof but the top of them is a canvas like water resistent material.. but the water can go through the top. Both of mine take an XXS although Faithey with her bear paws is right on the line! I prefer it to be tighter than looser though because she kicks them off if they are too loose :eek:

it's funny that your dogs are the same as mine except for different sexes :P I think we're a few of the only people here with a bt/blen combination ;) Mine was purely by fluke, as Faith is a rescue :lotsaluv:

Thanks for the compliment on the coats.. Kosmo is alright wearing one but Faith hates it! :lol:
Sara,I don't know why I thought you lived in Ottawa?! I know Ajax well, my parents live in Cobourg and my step dad works at GM in Oshawa. I have been back several times but not in the past 4 or 5 years. I actually really miss the Canadian snow. Over here there are just two seasons, winter when it rains rains rains and summer where it rains with the (very) odd breakthrough of sun lol! I would much prefer the snow over the constant rain we have here. At least there are winter sports and the sun shines. Ah well, the grass is always greener syndrome eh? Thanks for the info on the muttlucks. It doesn't sound like they would be suitable for my two if they're not that waterproof.

nicola
16th July 2008, 08:09 PM
Elude and Sara, what rain coats did you get if you don't mind me asking? I'm always looking for info on coats for my two.

Elude
17th July 2008, 04:05 PM
Nicola,

I bought the Puppia base rain coats and have been really happy with them. They are really well made and have held up to quite a bit. We're out and about rain or shine. A little story for you; my little one is extremely submissive to dogs. Her first time in her brand new rain coat, a big lab ran up to her at our off leash park, and she plopped right down on her tummy and of course rolled over onto her back in a big puddle! The coat was covered with mud and water, but she was dry underneath. I also put it in the wash that night and it came out perfect.

nicola
17th July 2008, 08:47 PM
Awwwww, poor little guy, but a very good indication that the coats are doing their job lol!!! I'm off to google coats now. Thanks for the info!