• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Husky Rescue?

There is in the UK and I think in Northern Ireland. There's an increasing number of these coming into rescue and they can be challenging dogs so it is a good idea to contact breed rescue for placing the dog -- they can easily end up in the wrong home or the wrong hands. I will go check for you.

I would try calling the breed club sec. in Ireland, or try:

Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain Rescue
Co-ordinator, Burton on Trent. Tel: 0871 277 6783

Thanks Karlin.

PS not sure if you are looking for a dog, or have a dog needing rescue!
Definitely not looking for another dog :D

It's the same old story, these people got a husky probably as a status symbol and now want to get rid of him. I will pass on that number.

They should try a DTI training class... maybe that would sort things. But UK rescue might be able to help.

Thsi is not an easy breed; the UK breed club has a page just devoted to how destructive they are, believe it or not! :eek:

Someone on another Irish board currently has a cat with half its ribcage crushed by one of their rescue huskies. :(

I almost fell out of the chair laughing at those pictures of destruction and the light-hearted captions to accompany them. Oh my!!! I love that most people adore their dogs no matter what.

However, as I type this, my precious little Dottie is curled up in her pink polka dot onesie (stitches not out from spay yet) and looking up at me with those angelic eyes as if to say, "I would NEVER do anthing like that!" Her halo couldn't shine any brighter than it is right now. Those naughty, naughty huskies!!! :D

Those pics are hilarious. My Kaya is a 5 1/2 year old malamute/husky/shepherd mix. She is a huge 100 lbs. and until she got about a year and a half old, she was in to everything. One night she opened the kitchen cabinets and had out a package of nutter butter cookies on the floor chowing down. The Vizsla, knowing what Kaya was up to was big trouble, was laying on the farthest side of the room when I heard the noise and came in to check. Fortunately she settled down, but some of her littermates are also escape artists as well, and no fence will hold them. I'm glad Kaya is too lazy to try getting out.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_5116a.jpg

Kaya is very pretty. Love all the pictures. I have a Newf and isn't it funny when the big dog and little dogs stand next to each other, like night and day. I think it's funny when I let them both outside and they take their morning pee together, so funny looking!!!

I think people forget to think about what dogs were bred for. Huskies are very beautiful dog, but bred to pull sleds and run. So they have lots and lots of energy and if the owner doesn't help the dog to get rid of it, that's when they start becoming creative and rearranging your house. Good Luck to your friends, I hope they do the right thing by turning their dog over to rescue.,

Thank you, we think she is, too! It was funny to see Pixie (at 13 lbs) trying to get a bone from Kaya (100 lbs). Kaya would let Pixie gnaw and lick on the bone while she was chewing it, but get mad if she tried to grab it. It was like she was saying "I will share, but I will NOT give it to you!".
It is funny how diverse dog breeds are, and how their breed characteristics come out whether or not you train for it. Our collie will herd the kids and circle you when you are in the yard. He will grab your clothes and pull on you, and he will block you if he doesn't want you to go the direction you are headed.. If you are up on the porch, he will circle below. Kaya will pull your hands raw when walking on a leash. It doesn't matter how much I train. I went to using a pinch collar to stop it. Odin, the vizsla hasn't been trained to hunt, but he points everything (grasshoppers, birds, butterflies)

Have you tried a front clip harness like the Sense-ible harness for pulling, or a halti? Either of these are generally very effective and are far more humane than pinch collars, which are painful to the dog (if slightly better than choke collars).

Kaya is beyond beautiful:luv: If they didn't have such terrific faces, personalities and intelligence no one could stand to have them. My dtr. often said, "Mom, you have no idea what Shane has done over the years" and I thot she was tough to get along with at 16 ( Shane, that is)! Those faces make my heart sing.

Still love you, Shane (at the Bridge) :lotsaluv:

Have you tried a front clip harness like the Sense-ible harness for pulling, or a halti? Either of these are generally very effective and are far more humane than pinch collars, which are painful to the dog (if slightly better than choke collars).
Hi karlin, I have tried the halti, with no results except her pitching herself on the ground in a hysterical fit and pulling backwards and rearing like a horse :eek: but not the Senseible. Kaya has gotten smart, and when I slip the pinch collar on now, she gets insanely excited (because she knows she is going for a walk) but she also walks nicely and I don't have to pull it. Now, it is more of the message that the collar gives Kaya than it is a tool to keep her from pulling. I keep waiting for us to get a good snow here so we can hook her up to a sled! She loves the snow sooo much.

Back