PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cavaliers from a dog auction and another Cav puppy in a kill shelter

nicoles94
20th July 2008, 05:34 PM
:updte:
I contacted lucky star cavalier rescue and they've let me know they are on the case. Luckily, there are three rescue volunteers close by.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11462530
This is for the Cavalier puppy in the kill shelter. She is in Arkansas. Her adoption fees are just 40 dollars. I don't have the means to rescue this little girl, even though I live so close. That breaks my heart.
http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/AR91/AR91.11462530-1-pn.jpg

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11471858
http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/MO196/MO196.11471858-2-pn.jpg
This is Princess Grace, she was saved from a dog auction! She is very underweight. She is in a Missouri shelter, I am not sure of its euthanasia stance.

And finally, this is Cowboy. He was saved from the same auction as Princess Grace. They are listing him as a full blooded Cavalier, but he appears to be a mixed breed Cavalier to me.
He is in the same shelter as Princess Grace and once again, I am not sure of its policies.
http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/MO196/MO196.11471859-3-pn.jpg
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11471859

I am so ashamed of these puppy/dog auctions in my state. They only further the puppy mill problem. Despite a heavy letter writing campaign by many in my state to government officials to ban them, they are still allowed to go on.

Shelli
20th July 2008, 06:38 PM
Poor things :(, I hope they find a home soon.

Karlin
20th July 2008, 11:03 PM
If someone in the US contacts cavalier rescue, either CKCSC or ACKCSC I am sure they will try to get the dog in the kill shelter. All contacts are pinned at the top of the breed rescue section. This will be very urgent as kill shelter dogs are only given a few days before they are out down.

brotymo
21st July 2008, 12:23 AM
I suspect the tri female in the shelter is someones pet gone missing, or stolen then maybe got away or got dumped if the thieves got scared. I hope the owners think to check the shelter if this is the case. Poor little girl. I wish we were closer. We are going to be adding a cavalier to the family again very soon.

frecklesmom
21st July 2008, 01:23 AM
I emailed the CKCSC Arkansas person the information on this girl. :xfngr:

Daisy's Mom
21st July 2008, 04:14 AM
I hope the rescue gets her, but honestly, at least around here she would be adopted in about 2 1/2 seconds! A beautiful little Cavalier puppy like that -- gone in no time flat. I doubt the rescue contact would have time to drive to the shelter before she would be adopted.

There was a beautiful Papillon male in our shelter at 12 noon once, and he was gone in less than an hour. I can't even imagine how fast a Cavalier puppy would go!

Whichever way it turns out, I hope the beautiful little girl gets a great home! She looks absolutely precious and very, very pretty.

JudyG
31st July 2008, 08:17 PM
Probably being dumb here, but what is a kill shelter? not literal I hope? We have the Pound here in the UK which euthanise dogs after a certain amount of time has lapsed I believe, is this the same thing? I really hope these pups find homes, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about!

WoodHaven
31st July 2008, 08:47 PM
Probably being dumb here, but what is a kill shelter? not literal I hope? We have the Pound here in the UK which euthanise dogs after a certain amount of time has lapsed I believe, is this the same thing? I really hope these pups find homes, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about!

There are shelters that only keep a dog for days before it is euthanized. I would hope that these places knew about the MANY breed rescues that take purebred dogs from any source.

Cathy T
31st July 2008, 09:59 PM
I see that Cowboy is the only listing still on Petfinder. For anyone interested....the bigger they are, the more there is to love (Jake just whispered that in my ear :)). He looks like he's all Cavalier, just a big boy.

Karlin
1st August 2008, 12:17 AM
Kill shelters are basically pounds. Much of the time 'animal shelter' is another term for a pound; we always called the local pounds the animal shelter when I lived in California.

A lot of shelters and pounds will not release dogs to breed rescues, which is frustrating. The politics of dog pounds can be... interesting.

Marilyn
1st August 2008, 10:30 PM
Well here I am ...... and I confess that I have been lurking around for quite a while. But now I have some news to share.

I have a 2 year 8 month old blenheim named Emma that is absolutely one of the sweetest dogs to ever walk the face of the planet. I have been thinking of getting her a companion for at least the last year and a half. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I saw nicoles94 post regarding the two babies that were obtained at a dog auction and into rescue. The next thing I know, I am doing due diligence on the rescue operation, applying for adoption, approved for adoption and packing the car to go from middle Tennessee to Missouri to pick up "Grace" last Friday. Drove to Poplar Bluff, spent the night and on to get Grace the next day. Picked her up on Saturday and drove all the way home to middle Tennessee.

Grace is now JENNY (named after my father) and has fallen into the honey pot. Thank heavens. I picked her up and this poor baby was so pitiful, I had to stop back in Poplar Bluff, find a groom shop and see if they could give her an emergency bath. Those sweet ladies dropped what they were doing and helped me out. After her bath, I tried to get her to eat and drink, but she wouldn't. She wouldn't eat, drink or potty all day. Terrified, all she would do was to sleep with her head in my hand or my hand on her body all the way home.

Jenny had been living on concrete in the puppy mill and her feet were stained yellow from urine along with her tail due to it being tucked between her legs. It will come out eventually, but what a pitiful thing to live like that. I have gone from euphoria in getting her out of that life to extreme anger at those that made her live that way.

Jenny had been given her shots, checked for heartworm (negative), wormed and spayed by a vet in Missouri. I immediately took her to my vet on Monday for a recheck and to have the stitches taken out. He said, "She's in good shape for the shape she's in." She is very tiny, only weighing 8 pounds 2 ounces and is boney, but we're turning that around! Then I took her to my favorite groom shop/boarding facility for "Play Day" on Wednesday along with Emma, and she seemed to enjoy it. I knew she would come out of her shell the first time I saw her chase a white butterfly across the yard.

It will be a long road with Jenny. Quick movements and loud noises still startle her, but her tail is between her legs a little less often now. She sleeps on a soft cushion in her crate at night next to Emma and has bonded well with her dinner dish! It hasn't been a week yet, but I think she knows she is in a better place.

I felt badly leaving "Cowboy" there, but I can only do one more dog. I keep praying to the Cavalier Spirits that he will find a home like Jenny has here.

Thanks to all of you for the last couple of years of good advice, stories shared and the knowledge that there are so many good people out there that are willing to invest themselves in these most wonderful dogs.

Aileen
1st August 2008, 10:52 PM
Hi and welcome many thanks for getting Jenny more photos at sometime please
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Cathy T
1st August 2008, 11:21 PM
Oh wow Marilyn!! I am sooo glad you announced yourself and told us your story. It is so neat to find out what happened to one of those dogs that touches your heart. I was wondering what had happened to Grace and prayed she had been adopted by a loving family. And what do you know....my prayers had been answered.

How neat that you found someone willing to drop everything and get little Jenny cleaned up for you. There really are some wonderful angels out there.

And oh....she's so tiny. Please post a picture of her. And then I would so love to see pictures of her again in a few months. Heck, why don't you just post some pictures along the way :) I know we'd all love to see her progress.

I think Cowboy is adorable and have no doubt he will end up with his forever home soon.

Just loved reading your story!!!

Elaine 2
2nd August 2008, 11:37 PM
I'm so pleased for little Jenny she's so sweet, that's great news:rah:

ppotterfield
4th August 2008, 06:39 PM
Grace is now JENNY (named after my father) and has fallen into the honey pot.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. Please let us know how Jenny is doing and how Emma is adapting as well -- don't want to forget that it is an adjustment for big sister as well.

Claire L
4th August 2008, 08:16 PM
I just cried buckets reading your story. Thanks so much for sharing that with us. Jenny is sooo lucky to be in your care -bless you :hug:

nicoles94
5th August 2008, 02:39 AM
Oh Marilyn! You were so close to me you could've dropped by for a glass of ice tea :)

I am so, so, so thrilled that you are able to give Jenny the life she deserves.

Marilyn
5th August 2008, 04:48 AM
Thank you everyone for the warm thoughts and comments. I'll try to post a pictures soon ............ as soon as I get it figured out how to!

Jenny is doing well and continues to improve each day. She has inspected every inch of this big back yard, learned how to eat on her own twice a day, improved her social skills with the cats and figured out the growl and bark coming from Emma means "LET'S PLAY!" She has a long way to go, but has come such a long way in just a week. Emma has let go of some of her jealousy and is adjusting well also. Each day is a little progress for all of us.

I'll try to work on the picture thing ................

Thanks everyone!

Cleo's Person
5th August 2008, 10:00 AM
Marilyn, you are an angel for taking Jenny in. Thank you for telling us all about it so that we can continue to follow her story as she grows up. I'm glad to hear that both she and Emma are beginning to settle into their new living arrangements. I'm sure that she'll come right out her shell now she's landed on her feet with you.

stjon
1st September 2008, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know what the outcome was for these dogs?
Jennifer