• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: cavalier dognapping in UK

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Stiffer penalties for dognapping call
By Journal Reporter

AN ANIMAL charity has slammed the "light" sentence handed out to a 25-year-old man for stealing two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels from a Dorset kennels.

Artur Wiese of no fixed address was given 80 hours unpaid community work after pleading guilty to snatching much-loved pets Willoughby and Darcy from Noarck Kennels on Ringwood Road, St Leonards in May.

Helen Griffiths of Parkstone-based charity, Dorset Animal Workers Group, called for stiffer sentences to deter dognapping which she says is on the increase.

She said: "It was a light sentence. Possibly six months or a year in jail would have been better. A dog is classed as property by law but there is more of an emotional element than if your car is broken into or your house.

"There are people who will steal dogs and demand a ransom. A lot of it goes on and also cats. A few years ago cats were going in colour batches.

"And stealing dogs is becoming an easy way to make money. The courts need to sentence harder then people will think twice about doing it if they have to go to jail for a year."

Thankfully Willoughby and Darcy were returned to their owners after police received a tip-off that two worried-looking dogs had been spotted with a group of men at Avon Heath Country Park.

Two other men aged 30 and 31, both of no fixed address, were cautioned in relation to the incident.

Owner Valerie Angell said: "It was a terrible thing to have happened - especially as we were on holiday at the time. However, justice has been done and we are very grateful to Ferndown Police and the amazing work they did to get our dogs back."

From: http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/n...1.0.stiffer_penalties_for_dognapping_call.php

:yikes

Best prevention: Be sure your dogs are chipped and never left alone in gardens or to wander during the day. Neutered and spayed dogs are far less attractive and far less likely to end up sold on for breeding. I recommend having a second tag for your dog that clearly states:

"I am chipped and neutered, reward of found" or something along those lines. Spayed and neutered dogs are often released, or such tags may tempt someone to instead go for the reward once they realise the dogs cannot be used for breeding -- a choice I'd much prefer if anyone ever nabbed one of my dogs!

Hi
I totally agree its the emotional upset not the money ,i have just ordered three more tags for my girls stating chipped and neutured as suggested.The incident that i posted about recently it was confirmed that the stolen dog was a 9 month English Bulldog bitch which i imagine would be a very expensive ideal target ,i still take my ft walking stick with Luke and I on every walk and if any unsavory characters appear along the way quickly change our direction .

We also have "Chipped & Spayed" on Amie's tag.

I also don't like putting the dogs name on their tags......I'd rather anyone who steals a pet not to know the name.

Back