• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice for introducing new puppy to Maya

ALE

Maya is now two and thankfully behaving again (had a day of mishaps a month or so ago). We're now likely to get a boy Blen in about 3 weeks and I want to do the right thing for both him and Maya. Maya likes to look at and sniff other dogs but she doesn't really play with them when we go to the dog park... she's a people-dog, as I think many are of this breed. She also starts hugging our legs when she sees us petting other dogs (a little jealous or insecure, I guess.)

Any advice on how best to introduce him so that he feels welcome and Maya accepts him and still feels loved? The breeder tells me he's small, quiet and loving, which sounds like Maya. I've read articles online saying pups and incumbent dogs should be introduced on neutral territory outside and that I need to feed them in separate locations. Anything else? Do I have to get two different crates for them or will they eventually be able to sleep in the same crate? Do I have to buy a second set of toys for the boy so that they don't fight over toys? (This is like a kid!)

Thanks...

What were the 'mishaps' that were behaviour related?

On getting a second dog -- there's a post with lots of information and links in the Library section.

You need two crates. It isn't ever advisable to keep two dogs in one crate. They may be best friends but you just never know -- in a confined space that small, you would not want to have two dogs in a fight.

No you don't need a second set of toys but you will need to supervise when they have toys. For many dogs, toys and chews quickly become a flashpoint for fights so it tends to be better to give them things like chews separately, in their crates, and never leave the dogs alone together with toys.

Expect an adjustment period as well. Some dogs get along right away but more typically it can take a few days to a few weeks, sometimes longer. (y)

Back