• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What's the difference?

GCon

What's the difference between a 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' and a 'King Charles Spaniel? :confused:

Are there any physical differences? Any pics?

:)

King Charles Spaniel
Kingcharles.jpg

The King Charles Spaniel as we know him today resembles the spaniels of the Court of King Charles II, though at that period the similarity was greater to the Cavalier.In some countries he is known as the English Toy Spaniel. King Charles II decreed that they should be allowed in all public places, including Parliament; there is no record of this being revoked so perhaps someone might like to test it!Until early in the 20th century the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the King Charles Spaniel were a single breed, though divergent in type; the King Charles had had oriental toys introduced to create the typically eastern expression with the slightly undershot jaw. The colouring known as Blenheim, red and white, is thought to have been developed by the first Duke of Marlborough when he introduced red and white spaniels to the UK. The family seat of the Dukes of Marlborough is Blenheim Palace.It was early in the 20th century that the two breeds began separating, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to return to the original type whilst the King Charles Spaniell was bred to enhance his Toy characteristics.
Until the 18th century the King Charles Spaniel was still being used as a small gundog, principally for small feathered game but as they were crossed with non-sporting dogs they lost both size and gundog instincts and found their role as full-time lapdogs. William of Orange is thought to have introduced Pugs into England and crossing them with the King Charles would have reduced size, contributed towards the current head shape and given them a cobbiness unknown in gundogs.
The King Charles Spaniel is significantly smaller than his Cavalier cousin at a maximum of 12" and 6.3kg but is otherwise similar in coat pattern and colouring of Black and Tan, Tricolour, Blenheim and Ruby. However, his personality has more of the Toy about it, being rather more reserved and less boisterous than the Cavalier.

Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzzie---Sam)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

What's Connie? Her Papers say she's a Cavalier KC but she's tiny (now 10 months and only 6kg)... :confused:

I guess she got 'unlucky'!

Confpic3.jpg

:)

Coat

Like its larger cousin, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, the King Charles Spaniel has a silky, often slightly wavy coat. It tends to be shorter than that of Cavaliers.
This breed also comes in the same color varieties as the Cavalier: Blenheim (red-and-white), Prince Charles (tricolor), King Charles (black-and-tan), and Ruby (solid red).[1] Originally, each of these color patterns was regarded as a separate breed, but in the late 1800s the four varieties were consolidated into a single breed.
The AKC has two classes: English Toy Spaniel (B/PC) (Blenheim and Prince Charles) and English Toy Spaniel (R/KC) (Ruby and King Charles).

Health

The King Charles Spaniel may have health problems such as heart defects, eye problems, patellar luxation (kneecap slipping), and fused toes, which can cause incorrectly grown toenails. They tend to live 10 to 12 years.
Although there is less information available online, the King Charles Spaniel suffers from the same serious health problems as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Please see the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel health section for more information.

[edit] External links
Jump to: navigation, search
King Charles Spaniel

the king charles has more of a dome head
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

CKCS v KCs: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=10712

but she's tiny (now 10 months and only 6kg).

That's not tiny -- it is normal size. She is already well within the breed standard and is only 10 months so likely will get a bit larger. Breed standard is 12-18 lbs or 5.4kg-8.1kg. She;s already over 13 lbs. I'd guess she will end up 15-16 lbs as an adult which is the middle of the breed standard, very normal.

Connie is beautiful and all-Cavalier!

King Charles spaniels look like Cavaliers from a distance but then you see those smooshy faces (my personal reaction to those faces is "Yikes!" I have to admit. I guess lots of people think they are cute, but I think it's a little bit of an acquired taste myself, especially when you are expecting to see a beautiful little Cavalier face and you get surprised! Sorry ETS lovers! I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. )

Connie is a pretty cavalier-- she is just at the lower end of the weight standard. King charles have rounded heads, flat noses, docked tails (I think)-- they are much less common in the states too.

Back