• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice on bringing new puppy home...

Hello,
I have a three year old Cavalier boy and will be bringing home an 8 week old Cavalier girl on Friday. We are so excited, but Bentley never really took to puppies. I think he just gets annoyed with their hyper-ness. Any suggestions on how to smooth the transition? I know he will love his sister so much once things calm down but anything I should try to not stress him out too much? Thanks

There's a post on introducing a second dog in the Library section somewhere. (y)

You need to supervise all interaction and not give the puppy constant free access to your existing dog and vice versa. If a dog doesn't like puppies then in particular you need to be careful. On the other hand it is useful to have adults discipline puppies as they do this better than people do and most adults will keep puppies in line.

Eight weeks is pretty young too though and the puppy will be very small, so it is wise to be extremely careful with introductions to keep the puppy safe. A lot of breeders do not release pups til about 10-12 weeks because they are so small and immature and they are more robust at a slightly older age.

Just keep in mind some dogs don;t always welcome a second and it can take many weeks or even months for an adult, especially one that dislikes puppies, to accept a second dog -- so be prepared to be patient.

Back