• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do you feed your puppy?

I am getting an 8 week old Cavalier on Friday. The breeder recommended Eukanuba Puppy, but my older Cavalier is on a holistic food and I'm not too crazy about the ingredients in Eukanuba. Any suggestions?

i have limited experience, but.....

my vet recommended Natual Balance by Dick Van Patten. it's available at Petco, and it comes in small bites. the dogs love the potato and duck formula. we use their tasty treats, too. if you sign up on their website, they'll email you coupons, too. the vet also said that the Costco brand dog food is pretty much the same thing and can be used in substitution. we also, once a week, bake up chicken breasts and then tear them into small chunks for a mix that also includes steamed cauliflower, carrots, brown rice, and green beans. we mix a half cup of that with a half cup of the Natural Balance. they get that twice a day.
mine are 11 months old, so the vet didn't say they had to be on puppy food. but he did mention that he likes the fact that Natural Balance had the small bite food that would work for a puppy and/or small breeds. :)

we mix a half cup of that with a half cup of the Natural Balance. they get that twice a day.

Wow -- do you mean you are feeding two cups of food a day to each dog? I am sure that is probably about twice what they actually need unless they are huge! Or do you mean they divide that between the two and get half a cup at each meal? Even my very active agility dog only eats about 3/4ths cup of food daily maximum.

ack!

:eek: no, haha. we mix it like i said, and then they each get half. they are fed twice a day, with their daily total at about one cup of food each. at their last check-up the vet said they were a little underweight. they are a full pound less than they were back in march of 2007! but the vet said they looked healthy and they must be getting more exercize with us than with their previous owners. ;) that being said, the vet said it was not a problem to give plenty of treats along with the positive reinforcement training. :p

I am getting an 8 week old Cavalier on Friday. The breeder recommended Eukanuba Puppy, but my older Cavalier is on a holistic food and I'm not too crazy about the ingredients in Eukanuba. Any suggestions?

You're right to be "not too crazy" about Eukanuba! Full of fillers. What holistic food do you feed your older Cav? What is easily available in your area?

After trying a couple of foods with poor results, Winston settled on Innova puppy for a while, then the Timberwolf Organics line (Wild and Natural, and Ocean Blue) until we decided to switch to prey-model raw when he was about 8 months old. Another really good brand is Orijen...that's what my guys get when I travel and I leave them with others.

I feed Lola Wellness puppy formula- about 1 or 1 1/4 cup a day and at her evening meal a little forkful of Wellness canned food mixed in. I feed Paco Natural Balance Venison and potato (we think he has food allergies) about a 1/2 cup a day and with his evening meal he gets some canned food mixed in as well. They also get carrots and green beans mixed into their food sometimes too!

I am switching Tybalt over to Natural Balance sweet potato and duck from Castor and Pollux puppy food. I really, really, really love the Castor and Pollux brand and our cat is thriving on (and gobbles up!) their cat food, but I think the dog foods from them are probably too rich for Tybalt and his tummy. Our vet suggested either Natural Balance or Wellness to cope with this. Both have limited ingredient diets.

So once we make a full switch, Tybalt will get 1/4 cup of Wellness sweet potato and duck canned food and 1/4 cup dry Natural Balance sweet potato and duck kibble and then in the evening, a 1/2 cup of Natural Balance sweet potato and duck kibble.

I looked at the Natural Balance food rolls and saw they have wheat as an ingredient and decided to go with Wellness canned instead. It has no wheat.

Maisy at 4.5 months is on Fromm Puppy Gold but after several weeks her poops were still very soft so I started mixing it with one of the Fromm Four-Star adult foods and she seems to be doing better. I have the feeling if I drop the puppy formula all together her poops would firm up ...I'm just afraid of the higher calcium levels in the adult food.

She was weaned to Orijen (adult) and now that I've found a supplier I may try their puppy formula.

I have just recently switched Jato (7.5 months) to Wellness 5 Lamb. He loves it, and is doing really well on it. He was eating Canidae before, but had lots of gas with that one. Sometimes you have to switch around a bit to find what is right for each individual dog. As long as it is a high quality food, you will be OK. Good luck, and can't wait to see photos of the new little one. :)

My pup Sasha was fed pedigree dry mixed with wet food and rice and veg....not at same time, alternated.
I am not a fan of pedigree....so I bought James wellbelloved(thats wot my adult dog is fed)and am now in the process of changing my pup to it.
They now have a wet pouch out so they wil both get an occassional pouch as a treat!:razz:
I was advised to put her onto a complete dog food by the vet.
But she does enjoy her bit of veg a couple of times a week ontop of her dry food.

Thanks for all the reponses. I think Bentley is on Artemis (I'm having a brain freeze, but I think that's it.) I am about to switch him to something else as well. For those of you that use Wellness, are you real happy with it? I saw it at Petco and was surprised to see a dog food there with such good ingredients, (I usually go to a holistic dog food store), and it seemed like a good quality food.

I love the ingredient list in wellness but I have found Lola to be a little gassy on it :eek:. I'm not sure if it's just the puppy formula or what. My other dog was on Wellness also but the adult formula and he didn't seem to be gassy on it (we have since switched him to Natural Balance because we are suspecting a food allergy).

Thanks for the info. That's not the first time I've heard that Wellness can cause gas. I better make a decision quick, the puppy comes tomorrow morning. I may try Natural Balance.

Back