PDA

View Full Version : Greenies Lite

arasara
24th July 2008, 07:15 PM
I have been looking into Greenies Lite for a while now.. and since I'm going to stock up soon, I thought I would try them.. ..

I don't know what they did differently with their formula, but both of my dogs got these horribly loud talking tummies and then the runs the evening we gave them to them :(:(

Needless to say, I took them back and exchanged them for regular.. which they seem to digest fine.

Anybody else had this kind of experience? I wonder what exactly they've done differently :confused:

:flwr:

brotymo
24th July 2008, 10:14 PM
Not sure about those lite ones, I just have heard a few horror stories about greenies causing impactions in the intestines, so I never bought them after that. Maybe I am over-reacting.

Love my Cavaliers
24th July 2008, 11:07 PM
No you're not overreacting. My then 4 year old blenheim Oliver (now 7) had an impaction from greenies. He was in such distress that I rushed him to the vet and he had it manually removed. No greenies in this cavalier household anymore! Their favorite treat now is Sam's Yams (dehydrated sweet potato)
Bev, along with Oliver (blen) :paw:, Riley (b/t) :paw:, Madison (ruby) :paw:, and Oz (tri) :paw:

hbmama
24th July 2008, 11:10 PM
Hmmm....Remember when they came out with that fat substitute "Olestra?" They were selling all kinds of lite crackers and potato chips processed with it, saying that the chips were fat & guilt free. Problem was, those who ate more than 2 or 3 of them were getting "Montezuma's Revenge.":yikes Same theory?

I think I will stick with the original teeny weeny greenies. Thanks for the heads up!

arasara
25th July 2008, 05:09 AM
I've heard of them causing impactions before, but honestly I don't think they are any more dangerous than a rawhide. A lot of the people who had problems with greenies did not give the size appropriate to their weight.

the new "digestible" formula seems to be pretty good though. If you leave it in a cup of water, it disintigrates.

My dogs REALLY like greenies and I don't mind giving them as a treat :)

I was surprised that they both got the runs from the greenies lite though. I was actually planning on trying greenies senior on them because they contain glucosamine and chondroitin, but now I think I'll pass. The runs are no fun! :(

Dublin
25th July 2008, 10:11 AM
Not sure about those lite ones, I just have heard a few horror stories about greenies causing impactions in the intestines, so I never bought them after that. Maybe I am over-reacting.

I'm the same I'm afraid!

I acctually found an un-opened greenie yesterday when packing away my dog food order & threw it straight out - even though SParky looked at me like I'd killed his friend!

Holly
26th July 2008, 02:35 AM
I've heard of them causing impactions before, but honestly I don't think they are any more dangerous than a rawhide. :(

But, Sara, rawhides are really dangerous (unless they are compressed from what I have been told).... the greenies still make me nervous, too.

arasara
26th July 2008, 03:14 AM
Yes, and that's my point. Many people continue to feed those with no problems or cares and concerns. I think greenies are relatively safe, and just like any other chew, owners need to watch their dogs closely. According to the greenies website, the "new foruma" greenies are 96% digestible, which rates better than most dry dog food.

Holly
26th July 2008, 03:15 AM
ahhh... I gotcha!