PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Dylan.

*Pauline*
25th July 2008, 12:39 PM
I wasn't well this morning and got up very late which meant, though Dylan had been let out of his crate, he wasn't fed till 10.30am. He didn't get up to greet me and I heard his tummy rumble. I put his snood on and gave him his food and he didn't want it. He backed away,sat there and his eyes started to close and he looked like he lost his balance, only very slightly, more like he was falling asleep sitting up. I put his food back in the fridge and he looked fine straight away so I gave him his food and he ate it all. When he finished he came into he lounge, sat on his bean bag then jumped up onto the sofa by me. He then jumped on my lap, something he's only ever done about 3 times, he's no lap dog. Then he got off and on my lap every few seconds then he yelped a few times. He really didn't look well. I called the vet and made an appointment then he looked perfectly fine. I made sure he drank some water too. Though he has water down all the time, I put some in a cup to entice him to drink it. I wonder if he just had a hypo as I fed him late and then got indigestion. I called the vet and cancelled but made an appointment for tomorrow just in case he acts odd again. I hope I did the right thing.

sins
25th July 2008, 12:46 PM
The fact that he got off your lap a few times and yelped is a bit worrying.Get him checked out tomorrow if it happens again.He could have an ear infection or something not easily noticable to the naked eye.
Sometimes symptoms can be obscure before an illness hits. Before Daisy got gastroenteritis, she was off form, crying and turning round and round in circles in an effort to get comfy on the couch.
Trust your own instincts, they're usually right.
Sins

Louise1823
25th July 2008, 01:00 PM
I don't have any advise to give, but just wanted so say that I hope he his okay :xfngr: Let us know how you get on tomorrow.
Sending lots if :hug:from Millie and Chloe!!

timclayton
25th July 2008, 01:12 PM
could be the warm weather.. make sure he gets plenty of water

*Pauline*
25th July 2008, 01:17 PM
could be the warm weather.. make sure he gets plenty of water

Yes, everything apart from the yelping I could put down to the heat. Also if he is frightened, usually only if he back snorts or something, then he really wants his me and he clearly wanted to be close to me then he yelped. I'll feel his tummy later, he's resting now and we have people over for lunch and he wants to play with them but I told everyone to leave him alone.

ice-cavi
25th July 2008, 01:42 PM
I agree with sins...you should trust your own instincts...
it´s allways better to go to the vet if something is worrying you. If it turnes out that nothing is wrong with Dylan at least youll feel better hearing the vet telling you :)
I hope Dylan is fine :flwr:

Lani
25th July 2008, 01:54 PM
Hope it turns out to be nothing Pauline.

Thinking of you and Dylan. Hope he feels better soon. :hug:

Justine
25th July 2008, 02:25 PM
Hope hes ok.

Brian M
25th July 2008, 02:42 PM
Hi

Best Wishes Dylan
From
Pops Daisy & Rosie:flwr::thmbsup:

merlinsmum
25th July 2008, 05:11 PM
Pauline, perhaps his glands are full? I would get him checked at the vets to be sure

Hope Dylan feels better soon:paw:

Cleo's Person
25th July 2008, 05:19 PM
I've only just seen this now. Pauline, I'm sorry Dylan seems of form. You know him better than anyone in the world, and if you feel he's not quite right then you probably should head to the vet tomorrow. Best case scenario, they'll tell you he was a little off as his routine had slightly changed and you might feel a bit foolish, but at least you can rest your mind knowing that you got it checked out. If something is wrong with him, it is better to catch it earlier rather than later, so going to the vets is still a good idea. You're his person though, and you love him to bits and know him, and his foibles, better than anyone in the world, so trust your instincts. If they tell you to get him checked out then trust that. If by tomorrow, you feel he is ok, then trusts that too! Either way :xfngr: he's soon back to his sunny self.

How are you? You mentioned at the start of your post that your not feeling too well today either. :hug: I hope you feel better soon, and that there's someone there to fuss over you a bit. Tx

*Pauline*
25th July 2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks everyone, I will take him to the vet tomorrow.

Tanya, I'm struggling with the heat a bit myself thanks for asking. I've had a house full of friends and a baby today but I've had it easy as Ash cooked for us all and we ate in the garden :)

I have put a fan in the lounge to keep it cool in there and Dylan is taking it easy. I think I'll give him a small dinner tonight, not put him in his crate at night so he doesn't feel hot and keep the fan on. I might sleep on the sofa just so I know what's going on with him. Last night he barked a few times but I just told him to be quiet, wish I'd taken a look at him now.

Cleo's Person
25th July 2008, 05:33 PM
It seems like you have a good plan!

I'm glad that you had someone to mind you too! I hope yiou have a nice relaxing evening once your guests are all gone.

Hope you both feel better soon. Tx

brotymo
25th July 2008, 05:34 PM
Pauline,
I sure hope Dylan is better and just was "off" today, like all of us can get from time to time. It is worrying, though, since our dogs can't tell us what feels bad. Please let us know.

cy1266
25th July 2008, 06:01 PM
I hope Dylan is okay, and that you feel better too :flwr: That humidity can really make people sick, I always feel a bit off when it's really humid...

pippa
25th July 2008, 06:22 PM
Hope he's feeling better soon..keep us posted.

littlelady
25th July 2008, 07:24 PM
I hope dylan is better soon.

jld
25th July 2008, 08:33 PM
Hope things are better. Please keep us posted on your precious Dylan.

Claire L
25th July 2008, 10:09 PM
Just seeing this now. Hope Dylan is feeling a lot better. This warm weather brings up all sorts of bugs. My two girls are not very happy in this heat either. I crush some ice cubes for them to cool them down. I stopped giving them whole ones when I read about bloat :eek:

I hope you feel better too Pauline :flwr:

Justine
25th July 2008, 10:17 PM
Keep us informed.

Shelli
25th July 2008, 10:19 PM
I hope you and Dylan are feeling better :flwr:

*Pauline*
25th July 2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks everyone, you really are supportive. My kids think I fuss too much. We've had 6 of my kids friends over today and Dylan definitely loved the boys the most. Mind you, they are as soppy over their dogs as I am about Dylan.

sallymum
25th July 2008, 10:35 PM
Just seen this now, hope Dylans ok.Let us know how u got on in the vet tomorrow.

Justine
25th July 2008, 10:37 PM
Ahhhhhh Pauline you daft woman,well i am just as bad or good.Archie can start going out next week and i cant wait,sooo many people stop to talk when you have a pup,good advertising for me though....

*Pauline*
25th July 2008, 11:30 PM
Archie can start going out next week and i cant wait,sooo many people stop to talk when you have a pup,good advertising for me though....

Make up some business cards to give out when you are walking Justine. :thmbsup:

pinkpuppy
26th July 2008, 02:02 AM
Hope Dylan feels better. Get well soon Pauline. Dylan needs his mum.

hbmama
26th July 2008, 02:57 AM
It is awful when you just know something isn't quite right. Often it is nothing vital, but we just need that reassurance from our vets that everything is okay. Will keep little Dylan in prayer (and you too, that you are feeling better!) and will check back for the vet results tomorrow!

*Pauline*
26th July 2008, 09:42 AM
Dylan improved as the day went on yesterday and I had him in my bedroom last night, he slept well and had a lie in until 8.30am. He seems to be back to his usual self so I am thinking I might not go to the vet. I have felt his tummy and there is no discomfort there and I checked his poos and they are fine. I really think the vet will find nothing wrong. I have until 12pm to make up my mind about the vets appointment which is scheduled for 2pm.

Last night one of the kids friends slept over in the lounge and Dylan wanted to sleep on his pillow and lick his face. He never does that to me, he always wants the end of my bed and if I move closer to him he looks at me as if to say, "Arrggghh, stop breathing on my face!!"

Cleo's Person
26th July 2008, 11:56 AM
Pauline, I'm so glad to hear that Dylan is feeling a bit better and is back to his usual self. How are you feeling today?

*Pauline*
26th July 2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Tanya, I do always hate playing the waiting game but I am keeping an eye on every move he makes. If he did anything unusual again I will definitely go to the vet.

I had a hypo this morning and was faint but I'm ok now thanks. This isn't unusual for me, I'm terrible with heat. I threw up and nearly fainted 2 days ago. It's so restricting though, I have to wait until evening to take Dylan out. It's too hot for him with his long fur.

My Mum wanted me to come to Colchester today with Dylan, 40 miles away. I declined, though she said she'd put the air con on, Dylan gets car sick and I think he's stressed when travelling (he pants loads) so I wouldn't put him through that at the moment.

Cleo's Person
26th July 2008, 12:43 PM
Pauline, mind your self and make sure you both drink lots of water. It can be a hard time of year if you don't do well in the heat. As I said earlier, you know what's best for Dylan, and I'm sure he knows you'll do the best fo him to ensure he doesn't feel miserable for too long. :flwr:

arasara
26th July 2008, 03:03 PM
Pauline,

Hope your precious Dylan is feeling better today :flwr:

rosiesmum
26th July 2008, 03:43 PM
Hope you are both feeling better soon :flwr:

Louise1823
26th July 2008, 04:26 PM
Glad to hear he is feeling a bit better today - you did the right thing not to bring him to Colchester, just incase it might stress him out too much.
Take it easy yourself too :flwr:

*Pauline*
26th July 2008, 04:48 PM
He seems to be fine now. Thank you all so much for listening. It's not nice to worry on your own.

brotymo
26th July 2008, 06:41 PM
Pauline, I hope Dylan stays fine. Glad to hear he seems to be. It is scary when they aren't well. I know how stressful the heat can be. here in Georgia, it is HOT this time of year. Our forecast for 9 of the next 10 days is calling for temps. over 95 degrees fahrenheit (35+ celcius). We have about another month of this to go before it slowly starts to moderate. Last summer we had like 12 days in a row with temps between 100 and 105 degrees. Some people in our neighborhood leave their poor pets out in runs with no shade or shelter and you know the water in their dish is hot, too. It infuriates me.

TillyTommy
26th July 2008, 07:47 PM
So pleased he is feeling better:)

Moviedust
26th July 2008, 08:39 PM
Have you ever noticed if Dylan is particularly in-tuned to your health? I think I've found with Cedar that, whenever I'm not feeling well, it seems that Cedar, too, has issues. I've noticed Cedar's attentiveness when I'm sad or upset; she is very clingy and loving, which is great. But I've also noticed that when I'm sick (cold, indigestion, etc.), Cedar also seems to have issues. She doesn't eat as well, is more lethargic, etc. I have no idea if this is even possible, but now when I start to worry about Cedar, I always first ask myself how have *I* been acting/feeling. Often, I will noticed that Cedar seems better when I seem better.

*Pauline*
26th July 2008, 10:44 PM
Have you ever noticed if Dylan is particularly in-tuned to your health?

Yes, Dylan is far less demanding if I am ill. He will keep me company if I go for a nap and strangely never snore when he's with me! (He does usually)Last time I had a cough he would sit near me when I coughed. But yesterday he was definitely off sorts.

littlelady
26th July 2008, 10:48 PM
Pauline glad dylan is better, I hope you feel better fast.

pippa
28th July 2008, 07:35 PM
Glad Dylan seems better..hope you are feeling better too,take care.