• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Seizures?

Holly

Met a lady today with an 18-month old male Cavalier. She said he has been having seizures since he was a few months old (after she had purchased him). She got him from a reputable breeder who said that she has never had this happen with one of her puppies. The vet is perplexed. They have done many tests to try to determine the cause. Epilepsy has been ruled out, but he does feel it is something neurological. She said he had not been MRI'd and she also said her vet doesnt have a lot of experience with Cavaliers.

Apparently the seizures happen randomly and last about 2 minutes. His limbs jerk and tongue hangs out to the side. He isnt aware of his surroundings when it happens and doesnt respond to them. She said it is very frightening when it happens. The vet prescribed phenobarbitol and something else, but it isnt helping all that much.

I gave her this site and suggested she post-- that there is a wealth of knowledge here. Anyone had an experience like this or have any suggestions for her?

Has she looked into episodic falling syndrome? Also syringomyelia? I would guess EFS could be it. She really needs to be referred to a neurologist either way if the vet cannot figure out the problem.

I didnt think of EFS. I have her contact info. I will get in touch with her and also give her the names of some of the neurologists on the Cavalier Health site.

Back