• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Sick Puppy

Caryl

I have a four month old cavalier she has been very sick. First Kennel cough than gardinia (i think thats how you spell it.) Now all her hair is starting to fall out the vet did blood test but still dosen't know have you ever heard of this in this breed/

She could have mange; I would take her to the vet as soon as possible for diagnosis and treatment.

How worrying it must be for you and your pup to have so many problems to deal with. Please let us know how she's doing! :flwr:

I think it's "giardia" and it can be quite serious for puppies. There are 2 good websites at http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=10914 and you can get more explanation there. Loosing hair is not usually a symptom of giardia but that being said your puppy's system is fragile now and "blowing the coat" can come from being so sick. I would certainly check with your vet re: the hair loss in case your pup has acquired a skin problem. You have a lot of work in caring for your pup right now (cleaning, etc.) but hopefully the efforts will have a healthy puppy soon.

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with a number of things. Have you also contacted your breeder? A reputable breeder will be quite concerned that a puppy of their breeding is ill; but at the same time, a puppy from a reputable, health focused breeder would only very rarely have these sorts of problems. The fact that the puppy is ill with something like giardia means it has been exposed either at the breeders or since -- most likely at the breeders. The same for kennel cough, which simply should never happen in puppies recently from their breeder as it means the problem is spread throughout the breeder's breeding operation. Problems like this tend to surface in puppies from mass breeding or poor breeding situations. If the latter is the case, you can take the breeder to court in many states via lemon laws or through small claims to recover your vet costs. Also many contracts from breeders would explain what the breeder will do if the pup is sick within a short time of homing.

In short healthy puppies from heath-focused show breeders don't tend to have problems like this (which is why the small extra amount such a health puppy sometimes costs is so worth it, as is the supportive relationship people get with their breeder for the lifetime of their dog :)). If the pup came from such a breeder, I know they will be very concerned to know you are dealing with this, and will offer you full support as you work through these illnesses and would be the first port of call for any questions regarding breed related problems, care etc. If the puppy did not come from such a breeder, unfortunately these are pretty common, serious health issues that start to crop up but nonetheless I would try to get some of your costs covered as it doesn't mean they should not be held responsible if they sold you a sickly puppy.

I have a long post in the Library section (in the 'health' forum) on what to do if you are sold a sickly puppy.

Karlin, kennel cough can happen to even the most careful of breeders. So can coccidia. I took all the precautions I could , but my litter of 9 each got kennel cough one by one and the one who got the sickest of all was my 9 month old Teddy, poor dear. :swear:
Now the giardia is very uncommon and usually a sign of a kennel with problems. Where is the poster and her breeder located?

Yes, giardia I know is a problem with poor breeding situations. Kennel cough however I would not expect to see in a puppy that a breeder has decided is OK to home and I'd expect good breeders to refrain from homing puppies if they see kennel cough in their dogs on the assumption that puppies are then at very high risk. I see and hear of that (poor breeders homing puppies that start coughing from day 1) a lot in puppies from bad backgrounds over here, with several of those puppies going on to get pneumonia (including one of the puppies I currently have in rescue, whose vet bill pushed near 4 figures as a result). I have not seen a good breeder ever knowingly place a puppy with kennel cough; generally there's lockdown as soon as it is spotted. I have seen a lot of mass breeder puppies or puppies bred in sheds etc arrive and quickly come down with kennel cough. :(

Back