PDA

View Full Version : SORTED: Cavalier Mix-Urgent-in TN

Holly
28th July 2008, 05:09 PM
There is a Cavalier Mix in a Kill shelter in Cleveland County Animal Control-near Chattanooga. A friend of mine spoke with the shelter-- they are a kill shelter- usually euthanizing the pups after 4 or so days. He came in last Tueday, so is lucky to be still be alive. Is there anyone who can get him out? Poor baby!

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11528833

Louise1823
28th July 2008, 05:30 PM
OMG, he is beautiful! I am praying that he gets homed... Such a shame that he has ended up there.
I would drive straight for him if I were in the US :(
:xfngr: someone will save him asap

frecklesmom
28th July 2008, 06:13 PM
Someone on Cav Con on way to get him out for fostering :jump:

*Pauline*
28th July 2008, 06:14 PM
He is really beautiful.

*Pauline*
28th July 2008, 06:15 PM
Someone on Cav Con on way to get him out for fostering :jump:

Fantastic news. I didn't have to worry for too long then!

brotymo
28th July 2008, 06:33 PM
oh, so glad he is being picked up. I was about to call and go get him, though I knew it would be a challenge until he could be found a home until I read further down on the thread. (my malamute doesn't accept other adult dogs, only will accept them if they come into the family as puppies)I am about an hour and a half from Cleveland. He looks very sweet.

Louise1823
28th July 2008, 08:12 PM
Great to hear he is sorted now!

Holly
29th July 2008, 12:42 AM
Yes, that was me-- I went to get him--about 5 hours round trip. I couldnt let him be put down. Too tired to write another post, but here is what I posted on another board:

Well, I'm back-- tired and with a headache but I saved a life today! It makes me feel good to have done some good. I drove straight to the vet with him--luckily they stay open til 9 pm. He is there for about an hour and they are going to give him a flea bath (he was loaded with fleas), clip his nails, do vaccinations for Parvo and Distemper and give him the Bordatella vaccine, as I have no vaccine history on him.

Someone onanother board let me know that he was posted last year on PetFinder at this time, too--with the same exact info, but a different ID number. I wonder why in the world he has been turned in twice?? Wonder if he has some really bad behaviors? Guess I will find out in the next few days...

He was in a kennel with about 8 other dogs and when we went back there to get him out, he was wiggling all around and wagging his tail. It appeared as though he got along well with the dogs he was with and he is very friendly. He barely made a peep in his crate on the way home and pottied outside.

The people at the shelter were very nice and thanked me many times for coming all the way from Atlanta to pick him up. It was a very rural area. They were filled to the brim with dogs and puppies but the facility was very clean.

So, I will pick him up in an hour and we will see what happens. I have some people working on trying to find him a foster home or furever home. Someone very graciously offered to pay his vet bills (that's what I was worried about) and the ladies that own the pet supply store (Im a teacher, but having been working at a fabous pet supply store for the summer that specializes in educating people about good nutrition for their pets) are helping with some other things. They are also actively trying to find a home.

A good friend of mine is taking my two Cavs for a few days for me-- I simply couldnt put my two dogs at risk--who knows what this pup has been exposed to at the Shelter!!

I decided to call him Bailey-- he needed a new name!! I will post pics as soon as I can. And, anyone with Atlanta contacts, please ask around for a home for this sweet guy.

I think he is part Cavalier and part Papillon. He has those ears that stick up and a pointy nose but a Cavalier tail with looong feathers. He only weighs 14 lbs and I think he could lose a pound or two so he is small.

Poor guy-- I only paid $10 for him. He had been neutered recently-- still has stitches in.

What a day!

frecklesmom
29th July 2008, 01:09 AM
Holly, you're fantastic. You did such a great job. :thmbsup:

*Pauline*
29th July 2008, 01:29 AM
Bless you Holly, you're one in a million. :D

Cathy T
29th July 2008, 02:37 AM
Super job Holly!!

Holly
29th July 2008, 03:08 AM
Ok, this may be the Honeymoon period, but so far this is one sweet, well-behaved pup!!! He is alseep beside me on the couch as I type this. Not sure why someone would give him away. He is really, really cute with a cute personality, too, although I will let you know more about that as I get to know him. He has pttied outside every time I have taken him out.

Picked him up from the vets and they were in love with him. He smells much better and we treated him with Advantage for fleas-- hope it works, They no longer carry Frontline Plus and I was out.

His heart sounds good and they tested for Heartworm but wont know til tomorrow. They couldn't get a fecal sample, but they gave me Drontal to give him--just to beon the safe side. I am beting that since he was loaded with fleas, he probably has tapeworm. I am going to wait to give him that tomorrow, as Im sure his system is on shock at the moment with all of his vaccines, etc. I will also start the Heartguard tomorow. They said to start it, as it cant hurt. Cross your fingers that he is heartworm negative, please!!

This little boy really is a lovebug--- I cannot believe that he has been given up so many times. Pray that we can get him his forever home. I dont think he has ever met a stranger-- he was trying to give everyone at the vet's office kisses and he follows me around everwhere.

Based on his teeth, the vet think he is 2-3 years old.

Going to take some pics for you guys!

Holly
29th July 2008, 12:58 PM
So far, so good still. He slept all night long on his crate. He cried for about 30 seconds when I put him in his crate, but then settled down and went to sleep. He slept til I woke up. I took him out and he pottied outside-- still no acidents. He potties as soon as we get outside, so I am hoping he is potty trained.

He ate some raw green tripe-yum! -for breakfast. He LOVED it , of course. Right now, he is curled up in a little ball on the couch, just chillin. Still trying to figure out why he was given up twice-- so far he seems to be the perfect dog. BUT-- it could be like the first day of school when ALL the kids are perfect angels!! Speaking of--I sent his picture and info to some of the parents from my school, so we have lots of people trying to find this guy a good home! He is one lucky boy!

Lani
29th July 2008, 01:28 PM
And it sounds like who ever gets to be his forever home is very lucky too!

What a sweetie he seems to be!

*Pauline*
29th July 2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think it will be long. Whoever decides where he goes better be really careful they are a special family, he doesn't deserve to go back to rescue.

Holly
29th July 2008, 01:35 PM
I don't think it will be long. Whoever decides where he goes better be really careful they are a special family, he doesn't deserve to go back to rescue.

I couldn't agree more, Pauline--- this little guy needs to go to his forever home. He has been bounced around enough. He deserves better.

Shelli
29th July 2008, 01:37 PM
:xfngr: I hope he finds his forever home soon :xfngr:

*Pauline*
29th July 2008, 02:00 PM
Holly, do you think you will reintroduce your dogs before he goes?

Holly
29th July 2008, 02:05 PM
I'm not really sure, Pauline. I guess it depends how long he stays here. Lots of people are working on a home for him. My pups are staying with a friend for now, as I didnt want to risk him having something like Parvo.

His petfinder posting said that he did well with other dogs and they had him in a kennel with about 8 others. He was in his cate at the vet, but didnt really react o the other dogs there. When I walkedhim last night and this morning, we ran into several people with dogs and he was wagging his entire body! :) So far, it seems that he is okay with other dogs, but I know it's early days.

Holly
31st July 2008, 02:58 PM
Charlie went to his furever home yesterday! His new mom is a teacher that I know and her daughter is a holistic vet. He is living in a beautiful home with a fenced backyard, 2 kitties (we made sure he was ok with cats, first, and he will not be left unsupervised with them) and another dog. They lost their 12 year old Golden this past Christmas and they were ready to open up their home to another pup. They feed RAW which I really like, as I do, too. He went from eating the worst possible kibble at Animal Control to raw green tripe and rabbit. He is one lucky guy!! :)

They also made a small donation, at my request, in Charlie's name to a Cavalier Rescue organization. I thought that was really important.

They will keep me updated on Charlie's progress... all in all I'd say it's a happy ending! :)

frecklesmom
31st July 2008, 03:14 PM
From rags to riches :) Holly, you obtained a wonderful life for this little guy. Congratulations on a job so well done :w*w::jmp2:

Daisy's Mom
31st July 2008, 07:07 PM
That is a truly awesome story -- and lots of wonderful people made it happen! I'm so glad for the little guy -- I hope he's happy. He sure is lucky. As you said "rags to riches!"

We have a rescue cavalier we are fostering right now and he has been bounced around quite a bit, too. We are his 4th home and he's only 2 years old. He just wants love so much. He follows me around endlessly and just looks up at me as if to say "I'm finally home, aren't I?" I know I will bawl for hours when we give him up. I know that Cavalier Rescue will find him a great home, though. He's a very good boy with only a few annoying habits (Don't we all have those?) :-p They are working on finding the right home that will be his forever home for sure. I think he will be here till the middle of next week.

Elaine 2
1st August 2008, 12:39 AM
Oh Holly what a great ending for such a lovely little boy, he deserves the best and it sounds like you've found it for him, well done for saving his life :thmbsup:

Holly
9th August 2008, 10:39 PM
Charlie's new mom brought him into the store where I work today. He looks FABULOUS! He has filled out and his coat looks great-- it has gotten much softer and fluffier. She feeds him RAW. What a difference. He looked so handsome and happy-- he even has a new red Puppia!

littlelady
9th August 2008, 11:23 PM
Thats great news about charlie:p