PDA

View Full Version : Games You play With Your Cavvies!!

Rocky and James
31st July 2008, 10:21 AM
Hey all,

I really dont no what games to play with Rocky other than fetch:(:confused:. So just list all the games you play with your dogs and hoepfully me and Rocky will find some we like:dogwlk:

leesanlucie
31st July 2008, 10:33 AM
I love to play games with Lucie.....but she doesnt like to play games.
So me and the hubby look like morons with out with a chuck a ball ,frisbie, u name it we have it.....we try and try and try......so i wil be interested in any new games people write up!
I see other dogs playing with their owners.....but all mine is interested in is WATER!
If there is water at a park she is there and in it!

We have.....chuck a ball,frisbies,tennis balls,footballs with rope attached so she can drag it,soft toys,kongs, in fact we have the majority of the pet shop.:thmbsup:

Rocky and James
31st July 2008, 10:38 AM
lol yes mine only seems interested in his teddy, but i would like him to play with me more.

Rocky and James
31st July 2008, 10:41 AM
oo ive just had an idea maybe you could get one of those water balls that soak up water then you might be able to have some fun!!

Dublin
31st July 2008, 10:52 AM
What about bubbles? Ive seen them on ebay - they come in chicken & beef flavour bubbles & they love to chase them - I'm going to get one for Sparky at some point - but he has so many toys at the moment anyway!

he loves his ball on a rope, rope chewy thing, & rubber bone. I also give them filled kongs during the day when I'm at work & they both love those

*Pauline*
31st July 2008, 11:11 AM
I like to get a piece of kibble and hide it in one hand. I show him both hands and ask him to "find it" and he nudges the hand with the kibble. If he gets it right, he gets the kibble, if he gets it wrong, we start again.

Dylan has a bubble machine which he really likes. I don't use it often as it produces enough bubbles for the whole street. It's funny when they burst on the windows and he runs indoor to find them!

merlinsmum
31st July 2008, 12:50 PM
I play hide and seek with my two - Merlin seems to definitely have kept his hunting skills :)

pippa
31st July 2008, 12:59 PM
Mine love fetch and ball etc but there favourite is bubbles..they love chasing them . DJ didn't really get it at first ( I don't think he knew what they were) but he is starting to catch on now and enjoys it too. I usually play bubbles in spring summer and autumn as it's too wet and mucky in winter but it's so funny..the bubbles go away in oct/nov then as soon as I go to the press in say april/may and they see the tub they remember straight away and get really excited!

ourempire
31st July 2008, 01:14 PM
I learned a game at dog school called "candy machine". You hide treats in the fist of one hand, then you hold the other hand flat towards the dog (like: two hands held forward - one flat hand, the other fist with treats inside). Then in order to get the treats, your dog has to touch the flat hand with its nose or mouth, then you open the fist and reward with one treat at the time. Molly quickly learned that, and we then held the hands further and further apart - until she had to touch my husbands hand in one end of the room and go get the treats in my hand in the other end... it trains their brain, too...

Justine
31st July 2008, 02:04 PM
We play all the time,we do Ready Steady GO to race up the stairs,hide and seek,shooting him,rats under bed clothes,tug of war,speak,toilet roll singing thats a good one,helping me to roll paper up for the fire and monster me he doesnt like that one.

Noelle
31st July 2008, 02:46 PM
We play chase games with Brinkley, who is very energetic!!
We take him to the local school and throw the ball or get him to chase after one of us.He also loves to chase his teddy around the house.:jump:

*Pauline*
31st July 2008, 03:06 PM
I learnt a game at dog school called "candy machine". You hide treats in the fist of one hand, then you hold the other hand flat toward the dog (like: two hands held forward - one flat hand, the other fist with treats inside). Then in order to get the treats, your dog has to touch the flat hand with its nose or mouth, then you open the fist and reward with one treat at the time. Molly quickly learnt that, and we then held the hands further and further apart - until she had to touch my husbands hand in one end of the room and go get the treats in my hand in the other end... it trains their brain, too...

I like the sound of this one, I'm going to try it.

brotymo
31st July 2008, 03:15 PM
Bubbles is a great one. Just use a hand-held wand and you wont get too many bubbles.
Pixie's favorite was hide and seek. I would stay behind with Pixie to make sure she stayed (since she was so excited and didn't want to wait), and the kids would hide, then call her. She would madly race around looking for them. It she was having trouble, they'd make a sound to give her a clue. She was soooo pleased with herself for finding them! She would remember the hiding places and alway recheck them on the next round first.

ppotterfield
31st July 2008, 03:47 PM
Here are a couple examples of what we play at home:

Fetch, of course!! We often play this with a stuffie instead of a ball. When the weather is bad you can do it down the stairs to get more exercise in. I have to admit, while Buddy loves to play fetch, he wants
to at least every once in a while get a treat or he will quit! :rolleyes:

Hide and Seek can be played by either hiding people or hiding a favorite toy. The trick is to start small -- by hiding it a foot away, two feet away, etc. and treat, treat, treat for a reward.

Scoot! is a game we discovered by accident with Buddy when my little nieces and nephews were over and made a train out of my kitchen ladderback chairs. We taught Buddy to scoot under the chair, turn around and scoot back. Start with one and work up to three or four. Chairs have to have risers low enough for them to crawl on their tummies.

Agility is great fun and you can do it at home. We first took a Fun Agilty class then bought a couple pieces of used Agilty eqipment (a tunnel, a small A-frame and adjustable bar jumps) but you can make some of these yourself. Here is a site that has a number of links to equipment and plans to make equipment: http://www.australian-shepherd-lovers.com/free-agility-plans.html. If you do "home" Agility without first taking a class be careful that you are not stressing your dog or putting him or her in danger. Puppies should definitely not do anything with jumps or which might strain their growing joints, etc !!

Hope this gives you some ideas. Have fun!

Rocky and James
1st August 2008, 06:59 AM
these are great ideas thanks guys im going to go and try hide and seek right now.

MishathePooh
1st August 2008, 09:22 PM
I just play hide and seek with treats. I put Misha in a sit-stay somewhere and go elsewhere in the house to hide a treat. Then he has great fun searching all over for it and really helps reinforce the stay command. Start small as others suggested hiding it one or two feet away and work your way up. The awesome part of this game is the target is the reward so they catch on super quickly. I can also play this game while doing other things about the house :-)

Cathy Moon
2nd August 2008, 01:08 PM
Our main indoor game is a wild and crazy fetch type game. I get all of their smallest squeaky toys, 15-20 different toys, and I sit on the living room floor then I raise a toy, squeak it, and throw it either towards the kitchen or into the foyer; then I quickly grab one after another and repeat. It's a very fast and squeaky game because they all love to fetch, so I keep them running and each one is fetching a different toy. I yell "Yay" every time someone returns a toy to me, and they squeak the toys in their mouths as they run back to me - so it's a very noisy game!

JudyG
2nd August 2008, 01:12 PM
Maddy doesn't play with toys at all! She came from rescue & although she was obviously well cared for physically she just didn't know how to play :confused: She will happily run around the garden with one of my cats chasing butterflies though, that's her favourite game. Another thing she loves is when we're out walking - off lead - she waits for me to tickle her back & say " come on then" we then run a little then she stops & waits for me to sneak up behind her & do the whole thing over again. It's so sweet as she slyly looks over her shoulder watching for me :D

*Pauline*
2nd August 2008, 01:22 PM
Our main indoor game is a wild and crazy fetch type game. I get all of their smallest squeaky toys, 15-20 different toys, and I sit on the living room floor then I raise a toy, squeak it, and throw it either towards the kitchen or into the foyer; then I quickly grab one after another and repeat. It's a very fast and squeaky game because they all love to fetch, so I keep them running and each one is fetching a different toy. I yell "Yay" every time someone returns a toy to me, and they squeak the toys in their mouths as they run back to me - so it's a very noisy game!

We need a YouTube of this Cathy! ;)

Rocky and James
3rd August 2008, 04:04 AM
We need a YouTube of this Cathy! ;) Defenitly:thmbsup:

Claire L
5th August 2008, 11:34 AM
We need a YouTube of this Cathy! ;)

:xctly: That sounds like sooo much fun :jump:

Cathy Moon
5th August 2008, 12:16 PM
I'll ask Colin will video us this weekend, but you must promise not to think I'm a total eejit! :fool:

lala2332
5th August 2008, 01:20 PM
Winston, my 7 mo. old LOVES fetch. He is crazy obsessed with tennis balls. I actually hide them when we come in the house, b/c otherwise he would drop tennis balls in my lap all day. Though just about any toy will work for him, so I still get my fair share of throwing in the house.

he loves playing chase too. I'll run and he'll corner me and then I chase and corner him and repeat.

Cleo's Person
5th August 2008, 05:14 PM
I'll ask Colin will video us this weekend, but you must promise not to think I'm a total eejit! :fool:

No chance!

Edited to add:
That we'd think your an eejit sure if I was filmed playing with Cleo the men in those nice white coats would be calling over.

Jpup
6th August 2008, 08:00 AM
J loves to play football with his ball but will only play with the yellow one even though his blue and purple balls are exactly the same. I have had to buy an extra yellow ball and hide it as the last time his yellow ball went missing he wouldn't play with any of the others. He also likes to hide with his ball so that we try and catch him.
His fave of all time though is chasing the feathers that fall out of Jimmy's (our cockatiel) cage.

Rocky and James
6th August 2008, 08:55 AM
J loves to play football with his ball but will only play with the yellow one even though his blue and purple balls are exactly the same. I have had to buy an extra yellow ball and hide it as the last time his yellow ball went missing he wouldn't play with any of the others. He also likes to hide with his ball so that we try and catch him.
His fave of all time though is chasing the feathers that fall out of Jimmy's (our cockatiel) cage.

thats really strange because dogs are colour blind:confused: me and Rocky played hide and seek, and it was so much fun. I would throw his ball down the hallway while he chased it, i ran and hid in my bed called him and then he managed to find me and he was so proud of himself and excited.:jump::D:D

nursejess80
6th August 2008, 07:23 PM
Ruby hasn't been able to play too much since her knee surgery, but I'm sure she's dying to play our little games. Basically, whenever one of us sits on the floor, she runs and grabs the closest toy to play a tug-of-warish type game. We also play a game where we tell her to get her cow, duck, bunny, ball, etc. and see if she gets the right toy. She's pretty good at differentiated which one is which. She either gets the toy thrown, we play tug of war with it, or she gets a treat. Fetch is not the best game for us because she doesn't like to give it back. It takes a lot of treats for that game to work. We also play a version of hide and seek/chase in the house. Our kitchen is L-shaped with openings to the hallway and the dining room. My husband or I will hide behind one of the walls and Ruby finds us and chases us around. She LOVES it! We basically end up running in circles, but it's funny to watch her if she thinks I'm going one way and I stop and go the other. She quickly catches on and darts toward me and "catches" me. It wears us both out, so I tend to like that one the best.

Cathy Moon
7th August 2008, 12:50 AM
thats really strange because dogs are colour blind:confused:
Actually, dogs can see blue and yellow!

angelmommy
8th August 2008, 03:48 AM
i saw on top dog or something like that that this collie or german shephard one of the 2 she showed it a colour flag and it ran in this box and brought out the right colour she always done blue and yellow and red so im guessing if they only see the blue and yellow then the red is a greyish colour too them that makes total sense :)

we play loads angels fave seems to be tug of war lol

Rocky and James
8th August 2008, 09:41 AM
Actually, dogs can see blue and yellow!
WoW you learn something new everyday :thmbsup: