• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Games You play With Your Cavvies!!

Rocky and James

Hey all,

I really dont no what games to play with Rocky other than fetch:(:confused:. So just list all the games you play with your dogs and hoepfully me and Rocky will find some we like:dogwlk:

I love to play games with Lucie.....but she doesnt like to play games.
So me and the hubby look like morons with out with a chuck a ball ,frisbie, u name it we have it.....we try and try and try......so i wil be interested in any new games people write up!
I see other dogs playing with their owners.....but all mine is interested in is WATER!
If there is water at a park she is there and in it!

We have.....chuck a ball,frisbies,tennis balls,footballs with rope attached so she can drag it,soft toys,kongs, in fact we have the majority of the pet shop.(y)

oo ive just had an idea maybe you could get one of those water balls that soak up water then you might be able to have some fun!!

What about bubbles? Ive seen them on ebay - they come in chicken & beef flavour bubbles & they love to chase them - I'm going to get one for Sparky at some point - but he has so many toys at the moment anyway!

he loves his ball on a rope, rope chewy thing, & rubber bone. I also give them filled kongs during the day when I'm at work & they both love those

I like to get a piece of kibble and hide it in one hand. I show him both hands and ask him to "find it" and he nudges the hand with the kibble. If he gets it right, he gets the kibble, if he gets it wrong, we start again.

Dylan has a bubble machine which he really likes. I don't use it often as it produces enough bubbles for the whole street. It's funny when they burst on the windows and he runs indoor to find them!

Mine love fetch and ball etc but there favourite is bubbles..they love chasing them . DJ didn't really get it at first ( I don't think he knew what they were) but he is starting to catch on now and enjoys it too. I usually play bubbles in spring summer and autumn as it's too wet and mucky in winter but it's so funny..the bubbles go away in oct/nov then as soon as I go to the press in say april/may and they see the tub they remember straight away and get really excited!

I learned a game at dog school called "candy machine". You hide treats in the fist of one hand, then you hold the other hand flat towards the dog (like: two hands held forward - one flat hand, the other fist with treats inside). Then in order to get the treats, your dog has to touch the flat hand with its nose or mouth, then you open the fist and reward with one treat at the time. Molly quickly learned that, and we then held the hands further and further apart - until she had to touch my husbands hand in one end of the room and go get the treats in my hand in the other end... it trains their brain, too...

We play all the time,we do Ready Steady GO to race up the stairs,hide and seek,shooting him,rats under bed clothes,tug of war,speak,toilet roll singing thats a good one,helping me to roll paper up for the fire and monster me he doesnt like that one.

Chase Games

We play chase games with Brinkley, who is very energetic!!
We take him to the local school and throw the ball or get him to chase after one of us.He also loves to chase his teddy around the house.:jump:

I learnt a game at dog school called "candy machine". You hide treats in the fist of one hand, then you hold the other hand flat toward the dog (like: two hands held forward - one flat hand, the other fist with treats inside). Then in order to get the treats, your dog has to touch the flat hand with its nose or mouth, then you open the fist and reward with one treat at the time. Molly quickly learnt that, and we then held the hands further and further apart - until she had to touch my husbands hand in one end of the room and go get the treats in my hand in the other end... it trains their brain, too...

I like the sound of this one, I'm going to try it.

Bubbles is a great one. Just use a hand-held wand and you wont get too many bubbles.
Pixie's favorite was hide and seek. I would stay behind with Pixie to make sure she stayed (since she was so excited and didn't want to wait), and the kids would hide, then call her. She would madly race around looking for them. It she was having trouble, they'd make a sound to give her a clue. She was soooo pleased with herself for finding them! She would remember the hiding places and alway recheck them on the next round first.

Here are a couple examples of what we play at home:

Fetch, of course!! We often play this with a stuffie instead of a ball. When the weather is bad you can do it down the stairs to get more exercise in. I have to admit, while Buddy loves to play fetch, he wants
to at least every once in a while get a treat or he will quit! :rolleyes:

Hide and Seek can be played by either hiding people or hiding a favorite toy. The trick is to start small -- by hiding it a foot away, two feet away, etc. and treat, treat, treat for a reward.

Scoot! is a game we discovered by accident with Buddy when my little nieces and nephews were over and made a train out of my kitchen ladderback chairs. We taught Buddy to scoot under the chair, turn around and scoot back. Start with one and work up to three or four. Chairs have to have risers low enough for them to crawl on their tummies.

Agility is great fun and you can do it at home. We first took a Fun Agilty class then bought a couple pieces of used Agilty eqipment (a tunnel, a small A-frame and adjustable bar jumps) but you can make some of these yourself. Here is a site that has a number of links to equipment and plans to make equipment: http://www.australian-shepherd-lovers.com/free-agility-plans.html. If you do "home" Agility without first taking a class be careful that you are not stressing your dog or putting him or her in danger. Puppies should definitely not do anything with jumps or which might strain their growing joints, etc !!

Hope this gives you some ideas. Have fun!

I just play hide and seek with treats. I put Misha in a sit-stay somewhere and go elsewhere in the house to hide a treat. Then he has great fun searching all over for it and really helps reinforce the stay command. Start small as others suggested hiding it one or two feet away and work your way up. The awesome part of this game is the target is the reward so they catch on super quickly. I can also play this game while doing other things about the house :)

Our main indoor game is a wild and crazy fetch type game. I get all of their smallest squeaky toys, 15-20 different toys, and I sit on the living room floor then I raise a toy, squeak it, and throw it either towards the kitchen or into the foyer; then I quickly grab one after another and repeat. It's a very fast and squeaky game because they all love to fetch, so I keep them running and each one is fetching a different toy. I yell "Yay" every time someone returns a toy to me, and they squeak the toys in their mouths as they run back to me - so it's a very noisy game!

Maddy doesn't play with toys at all! She came from rescue & although she was obviously well cared for physically she just didn't know how to play :confused: She will happily run around the garden with one of my cats chasing butterflies though, that's her favourite game. Another thing she loves is when we're out walking - off lead - she waits for me to tickle her back & say " come on then" we then run a little then she stops & waits for me to sneak up behind her & do the whole thing over again. It's so sweet as she slyly looks over her shoulder watching for me :D

Our main indoor game is a wild and crazy fetch type game. I get all of their smallest squeaky toys, 15-20 different toys, and I sit on the living room floor then I raise a toy, squeak it, and throw it either towards the kitchen or into the foyer; then I quickly grab one after another and repeat. It's a very fast and squeaky game because they all love to fetch, so I keep them running and each one is fetching a different toy. I yell "Yay" every time someone returns a toy to me, and they squeak the toys in their mouths as they run back to me - so it's a very noisy game!

We need a YouTube of this Cathy! ;)

Back