• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Picture updates of Tybalt.

Poor little Tybalt - he has been through the mill... :xfngr: he is feeling better and will be back to normal soon :flwr:

Hope he is getting better as this is a really uncomfortable condition. Did you talk to your vet about the need to contact his breeder? There is often a genetic component to susceptibility to demodectic mange and a dog that has it should always be neutered and the breeder should be informed as s/he will probably want to sterilise those breeding dogs as well.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

You may also want to further investigate with your vet why Tybalt was susceptible to an infestation as generally it indicates some underlying cause for suppression of the dog's immune system. We tend to see this in dogs from gypsy halting sites that are malnourished, or dogs that have been severely stressed from roaming or have been a long time in the pound.

It may have been an off chance occurrence or genetic, but I'd probably want my vet to run tests and see if there are other things going on and I would certainly inform the breeder and find out if this has been seen in her other dogs and she should be herself investigating the parent dogs.

Also; wouldn't most of the secondary skin problems be due to the mange in the first place? Eg may not have problems with fleas or grass long term, he may just be susceptible while he is suffering with mange.

Back