PDA

View Full Version : Grapes & Raisins - just say no!



GCon
5th August 2008, 01:27 AM
At 10 months and having a very healthy constitution, Connie was admitted on Sunday morning with grape poisoning after going down with severe diarrhoea and vomiting. She was put on a drip and placed under observation for 48hrs to avert renal failure - we would have lost her had we not twigged that maybe we'd done something wrong.

Seems such a silly thing but raisins and grapes can be fatal to dogs. It's fortunate we didn't give her more than the three we did.

We didn't know, so I hope this post saves life. :)

Cathy T
5th August 2008, 01:50 AM
Oh how scary! Is she okay now? Please let us know how she's doing after her 48 hours. I do know that grapes and raisins are toxic...and know that with such a small breed just a small amount can be deadly. But I know a lot of people aren't aware of this. I was at a huge Cavalier gathering and noticed an older gentleman feeding grapes to the dogs. He had no idea what he was doing. I gently let him know that he shouldn't feed anyone else's dog any kind of food without an okay from them. And then let him know that grapes, in particular, can be particularly dangerous. I didn't want to embarrass him or make him feel bad (my father in law used to try to feed the dogs food. I suggested he bring a small bag of baby carrots to feed the dogs, they were good the dogs and the dogs would love him for it).

GCon
5th August 2008, 01:55 AM
She's bounced back well, thankfully. We saw her today and she was almost back to her young self, rather than the dishevelled and in pain wreck we left with the vet on Sunday.

We'll be bringing her home again tomorrow. :)

Cathy Moon
5th August 2008, 02:22 AM
I'm so glad she's improving! :flwr:

*Pauline*
5th August 2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for posting, I'm always reminding people about grapes as not everyone knows. I'm glad you pointed out it was only three grapes.

Mom2Lola
5th August 2008, 02:27 AM
So sorry to hear about this and glad she's improving! I only found out in the last 2 years that grapes were toxic to dogs! :yikes I used to give them to Paco all the time! He never got sick though, thank God!!! I now give baby carrots to the dogs.

*Pauline*
5th August 2008, 02:34 AM
I've just copied your post and emailed it to all my friends and family with dogs.

Lani
5th August 2008, 02:57 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Connie but thrilled that she is better now.

Here is a link you might find useful:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe

It has some good tips on what is okay and not okay to feed (people foods). Also there are links to poisonous plants too, so you can check to make sure your garden is safe.

:flwr:

Lucky sends some get well kisses to sweet Connie. :hug:

Karlin
5th August 2008, 01:20 PM
:eek: Thanks for this important post; I have seen so many people dismiss the possibility that their dog could have this happen and who think grapes and raisins are fine. Can I crosspost? I won't include your name, but I think it really important for people to know this can happen.

ice-cavi
5th August 2008, 06:12 PM
I knew about grapes &raisisns but I never thought such a little amount as 3 raisisns could do so much harm:eek: So one really really has to take care when the kids are having this a snack,crate the dog and vaccumclean before letting the doggie out again.

GCon
6th August 2008, 12:02 AM
:eek: Thanks for this important post; I have seen so many people dismiss the possibility that their dog could have this happen and who think grapes and raisins are fine. Can I crosspost? I won't include your name, but I think it really important for people to know this can happen.Of course! :)

Thanks for all the concern - she's back home now. Very tired from all the stress and pain by the looks of things.

Karlin
6th August 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm glad she's back. That is really scary -- especially as a lot of the poison websites claim a dog would have to eat a lot more grapes than raisins so people might not suspect the cause from so few grapes.

I found this article:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/f/grape_raisin.htm

Seems they do not know why they cause this reaction sometimes in some dogs. I also read a vet's article that said the effect is cumulative -- ie feeding them over time can make the problem arise, but don't know if that is documented or not.

GCon
6th August 2008, 12:40 AM
Here's the article we found... http://www.dog-games.co.uk/poisontreats.htm

Cathy T
6th August 2008, 12:55 AM
So glad she's home and safe. That is really scary that it was so few that caused such a bad reaction.

Karlin
6th August 2008, 12:57 AM
Yes, that is the one that has a fairly wide circulation, I've seen it before posted to various lists. Many people have wondered if it could be true or was a fake but Snopes confirms it is true and obviously your own experience, too! Also this vet is listed as practicing in Vernon, Ohio, so is definitely a real person.

GCon
11th August 2008, 02:32 AM
If not this thread, could we please sticky a 'Poisonous to dogs list'? :thmbsup:

Cathy Moon
11th August 2008, 03:04 AM
We have a 'Poisonous Foods and Plants' list in the 'Caring for Your Cavalier' section of Karlin's permanent library:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=9503

And several people regularly post about foods that are toxic to dogs. I think Pauline was the most recent one to post a reminder.