• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

buying a new puppy

mulryan

is it always a bad idea to buy a puppy from an add on Find a Dog?
What should you look for? My vet recommended a particular lady who regularly sells cavaliers on findadog.

Ah, my vet tells people that the pet store a town over is a good place to buy puppies. Because the owner seems to care about the pups. Most vets really don't have a clue about byb or puppy mills.

When a person buys a dog (a 10-15 year commitment) they should buy the best, healthiest dog that will 'fit' into their lifestyle. This means doing some research (health temperament - size even), going to visit where the pups were born. See the dam of the litter. Ask about the sire. You want to see actual test results from the sire and dam (each breed HAS certain tests that reputable breeders do before breeding). This isn't a guarantee that the pup won't grow up and have an issue, but you (and the breeder) then are doing everything in your power to promote the breed of your choice.

What is Find a Dog? I'm assuming it's a website along the lines of puppyfind, etc. Short quick answer...not a good place to buy a dog.

There are some really great reference articles on this board to guide you in properly purchasing a Cavalier. Please have a look at the library section, this topic in particular:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11335

Looked at Find a Dog site. Any breeder is allowed to list their business for a one time $10 fee. This is not the place to find your desired puppy or dog. I would bet the person your vet spoke about or thought of brings their dogs to him and he likes the person-not a recommendation for choosing a healthy puppy. At the Vets this past week, I mentioned that I saw another Cavalier breeder (think puppy mill )-close to my town- was advertising and the receptionist was all smiles and said "Yes, that's ---". In other words, if they bring their business they are gold. :( Look at this information here on Cavalier Talk-it's important.

Im not being funny but i would talk to karlin, she is cav hot, knows what to look for health etc.

Back