PDA

View Full Version : Best toys for my new puppy?

laura85
9th August 2008, 06:43 PM
Im picking Bailey up in 3 weeks and have started shopping for bits - but when it comes to toys theres just so many i dont know what will be best!

I think hes getting a teddy from his bed at the breeders already, and im thinking he'll need something good to chew on?? are those chew things that look like little ropes any good?

theres too much choice and i dont want him to have too much and then not have any favourites that we can later bribe him with... hehe

Thanks v much!
Laura xx

Mom2Lola
9th August 2008, 07:42 PM
Lola loves her rope toy! It keeps her occupied for a while. Any of the sqeaky rubber toys are great too. They love the noise I think. Also the nylabone puppy bones are good for them to chew on instead of chewing on your furniture legs!

pinkpuppy
10th August 2008, 12:02 AM
The rope ones are great for flossing also. Nylabone is great for when they want to chew the heck out of something other than your precious items around the house. I agree the love the squeaky toys the best. All are positive plus will have divert their attention from chewing your valuables. It's a good habit before they do a no no. :)

Holly
10th August 2008, 12:45 AM
Kongs are great, too. You can stuff them with their kibble and some plain yogurt and freeze them! Makes a great treat that they have to work for!

A Treat Stick is really fun, as well. You put their kibble in and they have to figure out how to push it with their paw or nose to get the kibble to fall out. This is what they look like (not sure if you can get them where you live):

http://www.treatstik.com/

Toys that they have to learn how to work are great because it stimulates their brains and keeps them busy.

jazz
10th August 2008, 12:31 PM
A Treat Stick is really fun, as well.

Holly--that looks great--I'm assuming the small size would be good for our cavs? (When I have to order online, I've found with some toys, small is too small)

Holly
10th August 2008, 04:00 PM
Holly--that looks great--I'm assuming the small size would be good for our cavs? (When I have to order online, I've found with some toys, small is too small)

Yes, I have 2 smalls so they each have their own-- otherwise Rosalita steals it and hides under the bed so Oliver cant have it!

They are so much fun-- they carry them all around the house. It's really funny to watch them!

chloe92us
21st August 2008, 06:02 PM
Also see the post on "best outdoor toys" in this section. I just sent links to some of Ollie's faves, which aren't necessarily for outdoor use.

For chews, I like "bully sticks" too. They really last and are long so there's less of a risk of swallowing (your pup may be a swallower or may be perfect with chews, but you really need to watch him to find out which he/she is!)

Once any chew gets down to about 2" long or they start pulling pieces off, keep a close eye on the pup. If they try to swallow it at that point, you have a swallower and will always have to take chews away before they get them down to that point.

Alison_Leighfield
21st August 2008, 10:12 PM
Mine always seem to like the free things.....the cardboard roll from inside the loo roll, the plastic ball from the top of the washing liquid, an old sock with a knot in it. All the posh toys sit in the box never played with. They somehow seem to find their own toys!

With any toy, always keep a watch for when they get broken and worn.

Alison.