• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

scratching and itching

jewel

Can someone help me out here ? My 2 year old is doing alot of scratching and biting at his stomach and rear end. I just had him at the vet the other day and had his anals cleaned. Could that be botherig him ? I also gave him a bath and usd the same shampoo I always used. Should I try an anti itch shampoo or just back to the vet ? I was also told to try and give him benadryl. Is that safe for a dog ?

Jake has been doing a lot of scratching lately (he usually does this twice a year). He has flea allergy dermatitis. One flea bite is all it takes to set him off. I give him a little extra salmon oil with his dinner and bathe him with an anti-itch shampoo. I also have an anti-itch spray I'll spray directly on a spot that's bothering him. I dislike using flea medications but I use Frontline Plus on him (and on Shelby as well). The trade off between flea meds versus hot spots just isn't worth it. I apply the Frontline as needed. In February he got hot spots, had to be shaved on those areas and put on antibiotics. Not worth the trade off in not using flea meds. Yes, benadryl is normally (anything can cause side effects) safe to use. Jake is 24 lbs and I used to give him 25 mg two to three times a day. Unfortunately the benadryl doesn't seem to help him much.

Thank you for the info. I did go to the pet store and I picked up some anti itch shampoo. Thank goodness he doesn't mind getting baths because he is getting another 1 tonight. I wasn't sure how much benadryl to give him. He is about 18lbs and didn't want to over do it. Thanks again.

Back