• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Games on Animal Planet--Worried

brotymo

I wondered if any of you watched the show on animal planet called "Puppy Games" kind of like an olympics for dogs. The dogs were all puppies aged around 14-18 weeks and they played lots of games and wrestled, etc. I was actually waiting for something else to come on later and passing the time. Well, I absolutely was worried to death watching part of the games where they had a shallow pool filled with water and the puppies would splash in it and fetch toys out of the water, just like Pixie was doing before it killed her. It bothered the heck out of me...not to mention bringing back on the feelings of panic from that terrible day, and the sadness of her being gone.
I know Pixie was a rare case, but still, it has happened to others, even some others known by posters on this board. Something about their excitement to get the toy and their youth makes me fear them inhaling water. There were quite a few on there sticking their heads way under the water (they had an underwater camera showing the view). It makes me feel like I should share what happened to Pixie with Animal Planet so they might know and be careful of that in the future. (they do these things from time to time with puppies).
Do you think it would be overly paranoid or me, or prudent to contact them?

To be honest, im not sure but i guess you knowing from experience what its like to lose one will be very worried :(Pixie R.I.P:( but i would like to see what animal planet would say if you do send them a letter, so go for it(y)

I can only imagine the horrible feelings you had running through you while you watched that. It must have brought back so many bad memories.

I definitely think you should write to them. If your letters are as informative as your post here, they should take note.

I thought that show was terrible and really damaging too. I didn't like the special light effects and all the unsupervised play with puppies of all sizes. I'm glad you may be writing them.

Thanks for the advice. I did call and they told me to go online and submit my thoughts there. I am going to do that, but will condense it as short as possible and point them to my pet insurance company's blog. They even did a short write-up about it, so they could verify that it is true if they wanted. It might not make any difference, but some of the things those dogs were doing were exactly what Pixie was doing.

I think it's a mistake to believe that the puppies weren't supervised. Cameras are very good at only including the people that they want on screen, and it is virtually assured they had handlers off screen.

I understand that it's difficult to see something that very nearly replicates your own tragic experience (I haven't cried in years, and I had serious tears when I read your original message). But as when raising a child, you risk being overprotective. Nothing can keep dogs perfectly safe, so the question always has to be is whether the risk is high enough to cause you to avoid the activity altogether.

That said, I complete understand the feelings of panic and anxiety that you felt, and you have my heartfelt sympathies.

I've heard from several different people on different levels that the show bothered them. I'm glad you will be able to let your concerns be known.

I think you should contact them if you feel strongly about this issue..it sounds a bit scary.

Let us know when you get a response from them.

Back