• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dog groomers

steph

hello. I'm looking for a good dog groomer in the naas area. Charlie is 9 months old i have gotten him groomed once before but i would like to try someone who comes recommended by a cav owner. any suggestions???

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'groomed'. The problem is that any sort of trimming isn't normally done on this breed and hence that makes it very hard to recommend a good groomer when they all seem to have some weird and wacky individual idea in their head about how they will groom, I mean shave, a cavalier. :rolleyes:

Many people here have had nightmarish results because groomers shave down their dogs or trim them way back, when the proper way to groom a cavalier is not to trim anything except the hair underneath their feet, between their pads. :)

If you want a cavalier groomed properly like this, I would write down exactly what you want and tell them specifically not to cut ears, feathering, or slippers and put the fear of God in them about it. basically tell them you want the dog washed and dried and not to put a scissors anywhere near the dog on threat of legal action.

If you want your dog shaved or trimmed -- then it depends. Most will do a hack job, in my opinion. On the other had some people like to shave their cavaliers and want them to look like this. In that case the majority of groomers will be happy to do this under the impression that this is how cavaliers are groomed.

So what I'm saying is (or rather ranting about in total frustration! :lol:), sadly very few Irish groomers (or groomers anywhere going by board experience!) have a clue about how to correctly groom a cavalier and will just shave them down, resulting in a dog that looks like another breed for months and months before the coat slowly begins to grow back. If this isn't what you want, or you want some sort of trim but not a shave -- then it's difficult. I'd still explain exactly what you want on paper and be absolutely specific. :mad:

Hi Steph ,
If you pm me I can give you the number of a great groomer , who understands we do not want them shaved or cut . I still give them a list to be on the safe side but they havnt let me down yet .
It's in Kilkenny , about an Hour from Naas .
mimi

Once again I'll have to say.....I LOVE my groomer!! And I'll have to give her a big hug next time we see her :lotsaluv: She had a Cavalier so she understands what I want done. I'll pick up a coffee for her and her assistants when I come to pick up the dogs, for various occassions I'll give them little gifts....and she's always telling me I do too much. And then I tell her about the horror stories I've read about doggies getting shaved down to nothing, get their ears cut (that was a poodle I think....not on this board but in a newspaper article), dying in a cage dryer, etc. And I tell her I can't thank her enough for caring so well for my little ones.

When you do find a good groomer they are worth their weight in gold. Definitely go with a recommendation from someone.

Back