• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Time for Cavy number 2 !

srp999

My wife and I are considering adding to the Cavalier family with another pup. Our own is now 13 months old,so is now a good time to buy the second one we always promised ourselves someday ? Any advice is welcomed.

:w**h**: I LOVE having two Cavs! We got our second, Truman, when Miles was about 10 months old. It worked out fine, but if I had to do it again I probably would have waited at least a few more months, when Miles was trained a bit more. It was hard teaching both of them to walk nicely on a leash. However, I do like that they're close in age; they have become the best of friends, are always together, and I don't feel bad leaving them like I did when we just had Miles. We were leaning towards getting a girl because we heard boy/girl combinations were better, but we trusted our breeder's judgement (they're both from the same breeder) when she told us the boy would be a better fit for both us and Miles. The first couple of months were pretty hard with the two of them still being pretty young, but once Truman was housebroken at around 6 months it became much easier. I am so glad we got Truman, Miles truly seems happier, and we love having an extra Cav to snuggle with at night :lotsaluv: Let us know if you end up getting a second Cav!

Our Breeder is taking another litter off our boys mum using his dad she has just been mated, so we are keeping our fingers crossed for another :xfngr: Would be great to have two brothers :rah:

We have two (much closer I might add 6 months & 9 months). It was the best decision we ever made! It was a lot of work and extra training and time apart, but well worth it. Kip is older and he really needed a brother to have around. Ours our half brothers too! As my husband likes to say, "brothers from another mother!"

Jake was 14 months old when we added Shelby. Best thing we ever did!! I love having two.

we waited a year between Lily and Tia,second dog is always easier as they learn from the first(bad habits as well as good lol)

We got Murphy when Holly was about 10 months, although Murphy was a rescue and was 2.5 years. A nice age difference between them.

They do both copy each other a lot.

It is lovely having two as they are great company for each other and I didnt notice too much of a difference in terms of routine or anything. I do their training seperately though, in and out of classes, and take the time to walk them seperately on occassion as well... just to keep the bond between the dogs strong.

More time is needed of course, but it is definitely worth it as the others have said! :)

hi mate .. i have had my cav around 5 months and i am definetly going to get another one ...i think from now on im goin to rescue them ..there is so many that are sadly unwanted...just given away by people ...wouldnt do that with kids ..ooops anyway yeah id go for it ...but use rescue as an option can be very awarding

I've wanted another one since I got my first! you should go for it!! my husband would kill me. not that he doesn't adore Anastasia, he just wants "his" dog, so I'm not allowed to get anymore until he's gotten his. he wants a rotti. :rolleyes: You should deffinately get another one.

At Last !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jump: It seems a long way back that I started this thread that we were having another Cav , but finally we made the decision to take the plunge and are about to introduce number two ( no name yet ! He's only 5 weeks ) into the household (y).

Any advice out there for the pending arrival would be much appreciated, having had three Cavs in total but never two at the same time we are in new territory.

Best of all this new one is a full brother of our 17 month old and he's a real star in our lives so heres :xfngr:

Congratulations!! Please let us know how things go. We're adding a 2nd Cav, too. Our first will be a year old on Nov. 15, and our second is a month old today. They're from the same breeder and have a grandfather in common. We're bringing her home in early January, when Jasper will be almost 14 months old. I'm nervous about how Jasper will react to sharing his throne, but I think it'll be good for him.

Good luck with the addition, and I can't wait to hear how things go!

Lori

We will be welcoming our second Cav in a couple of weeks. Mindy is 10 years old so I hope all goes well. I have wanted another Cav since we got her 10 years ago but we already had a Golden Retriever so agreed that two dogs were enough. Zeus died in September and we decided two dogs are still just right for us. Mindy is very lonely and hates when we leave her now. I hope that she will accept her new brother - as he is bound to be far perkier than Zeus, who was a few months older than her. The good thing is (from her perspective) that he will be smaller than her and she can put him in his place if he gets out of line.:razz:

Hi
I added a second cavalier when my olest Lucie was 2 yrs and 5mths old. They get on great.(y)
I would love a third but as a rescue not a pup....but I already have 2 bunnies and 1 cat and 2 kids....hubby said when we move to a bigger house!So am holding on to that thought!:rolleyes:
I do enjoy having two....although my pup is a total "velco dog" so spends more time with me than with her sister.
X

Two is so much better than one!!! Four is a lot, although I love each of their distinct personalities. We got Riley when Oliver was 17 months and she was 11 months. That transition was soooooo easy. Then we got Madison when she was 3 months old and Riley was 16 months old. They are half sisters - 13 months apart. That transition was also easy as pie. Now we have Oz who is 16 months (the others are now 7,6, and 5). Madison is really the only one who hasn't really been enamored of
Oz - maybe because she lost her baby status! I try to give her lots of individual attention. To sum up - 16 to 17 months difference in age was really easy for me and the dogs. Go for it! You will love it, and so will your other baby!!

Well Cavi number two has arrived in the form of 8 week old Mylo and boy is he a live wire ! Our own Cav is still in shell shock at this new bundle of fun that has arrived so watch this space :D

Hee - you could be talking about Mindy and Max. Max has seemingly boundless energy. Mindy is definitely softening towards him - she whined and didn't want to continue on her walk today when hubbie and Max turned back after just a few houses. She isn't into letting him cuddle though. Probably because a cuddle with Max generally ends with his teeth chomping on a body part.

Back