• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Totally exhausted...

CVFlagg

Help! It seems as though my precious three angels have had a regression in sleeping patterns, resulting in me sitting half asleep at work trying to make it to lunch hour so I can go home and nap!

My three have always slept in the big bed with no problems, asleep about 11pm, up around 6:30am. Lately, they have been waking up almost every hour, each one wakes up at a different time and of course wakes the other two up. I have tried putting them in the family room (where they stay during the day) but they just bark and huff and puff until I can't take it anymore and come let them back into the bed only to have them get up an hour later. I have tried ear plugs but I can still hear them.

Any thoughts on how to get the team back on track? Thanks!

What are their ages?

Most likely one is waking and getting all the others up. Have you looked into a medical issue that is waking one and causing that one to wake the others? Maybe it seems like different dogs waking but this seems very unlikely.

If it is behavioural I'd separate them into crates in your room at night (crate train in advance if you haven't done this). If they are still noisy I'd put them in separate crates in a separate room and realise you will need to hold firm til they learn that making noise will not be rewarded by you showing up to let them all out.

I'd really be wondering though whether there is not a medical issue there though and that is what I would check first -- for skin problems, pain problems etc. I have never heard of dogs all waking like this constantly throughout the night unless perhaps one is waking and that wakes the others.

I hate to say this -- because I know it is not what you want to hear -- but you are going to have to ignore them. Decide how you want it to be either in your room or in the family room and then when they want to play and/or bark for attention, you will have to gut it out.

You should look to see if there is anything that has changed that this might be related to, to figure out if there is a trigger so you can fix it. I would also recommend increasing the amount of exercise they have in the evening. I have never had trouble with our Cavalier Buddy, but my Clumber Hadley went through a stage where she needed extra exercise late in the evening. Even just keeping them awake through the evening with simple little games or running them through "obedience" tests to stimulate them and ensure that they do not nap the evening away can let.

Good luck!!!

They are all boys, ages 2, 4 and 8. The 8 year old has only been with us since March but he will pretty much sleep through anything. I wonder if the other two are just mad that they have to share the bed with one more?

Also, how does everyone else handle water? Should I be taking it up at a certain time before bed? They don't always need to go to the bathroom but sometimes they do, maybe too much water.

At their age they shouldn't be needing to wee in the night. Saying that, like humans, dogs produce less at night while sleeping but as they are awake so often, this would be different. Pick up the water 2 hours before bedtime and see if this makes a difference.

If it was me, they'd all be in a nice bed in the family room, don't feel sorry for them, they have each other. Ear plugs plus that distance and you might get some sleep. They soon learn but go them once and you make matters worse.

I hope you all get a good nights sleep soon.

Back