PDA

View Full Version : Took Dylan to vet, SM? Long post, sorry.

Pages : [1] 2 3

*Pauline*
20th August 2008, 11:57 AM
Excuse my rambling but I want to get this all off my chest. I ran out of food this morning for Dylan so I thought we'd take a walk to the pet shop to get some Chappie. I mentioned in another thread that I was very worried Dylan was air scratching while walking on his harness. I hadn't seen another dog do this before I saw the preview to the documentary shown last night.

I thought Dylan only scratched for a minute at the beginning of his walk. Wellhe scratched all the way to the vets, which I pass going to the pet shop. So I pop into the vets, very upset and holding back the tears and by some fluke, the best vet who is usually fully booked was free in an hour. We continue to the pet shop, I tell the poor lady in the pet shop the whole story. Then we went to the bank, still scratching all the time. We go to the park, still on his lead, the scratching stops. We go back to the vet as an hour has passed.

Well she saw the documentary and had lots to say about it and she told me how breeders bring their dogs in for operation after operation (not Cavaliers) and how bad the Kennel Club is etc. She expects to see many Cavaliers this week. Cavaliers are the top dog in our town, we see many of them. She checked his ears of course and they are inflamed, not infected though. She said we have to rule out everything else first. So we have drops. Funny thing was, he hasn't been scratching his ears. As I'd been to the pet shop and had his food with me, she got a book out and when through all the ingredients and quantities. She said Chappie used to be rubbish but it looks great now.

Here's the important part if you don't want to read all my rambling, read this! She told me once we rule out all other causes, she can refer him to the college hospital (I think that's what she called it) about 45 minutes from me as they are doing research and, if he qualifies, he will have an MRI for free. I think, not sure, she said treatment is free too. I was worried she wouldn't know much about SM like some vets but it was like she knew I was coming.

So he is on drops now and we go back in a week. But I know his air scratching is an SM sign, as he only does this on the lead.

Thanks everyone who supported me yesterday when I was worried as I know we are all upset at the moment.

cecily
20th August 2008, 12:02 PM
Pauline I'm so sorry to hear what you suspect.
I hope that Dylan is just scratching because of some very minor thing. Fortunately for Dylan we know you'll make sure he gets the best possible care, and that's all you can do.
Good luck with everything.

*Pauline*
20th August 2008, 12:06 PM
Thank you. The vet said he's lucky I'm his Mum because I love him so much and I'm so careful with him. It's all I can do.

pippa
20th August 2008, 12:09 PM
Hi pauline ..sending positive thoughts for you and beautiful Dylan.

Claire L
20th August 2008, 12:16 PM
It's a good job you ran out of food Pauline eh! otherwise you might never have known about the research programme. I hope the drops help and Dylan stops scratching :hug:

Phoebe
20th August 2008, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry to read about your concerns regarding Dylan's health Pauline, I sincerely hope your fears are unfounded and that he is suffering from some minor health problem.
Please keep us updated and very best wishes to you:flwr:

Cleo's Person
20th August 2008, 12:25 PM
Pauline, I'm so sorry to hear about your suspicions regarding Dylan. I sincerely hope that it is not SM and is curable. Great news though about the free programme nearby. If he does have this awful disease, then I hope he qualifies as it sounds as if he will have the best of medical care there. It goes without saying that he'll have the best of care at home. :flwr: You are both in my thoughts. Tx

ice-cavi
20th August 2008, 12:29 PM
Pauline Im so sorry to hear that you are suspecting SM in Dylan:(
This is something that every Cavalierowner is fearing to have to deal with:(

My best wishes for you.:hug:

*Pauline*
20th August 2008, 12:29 PM
It's a good job you ran out of food Pauline eh! otherwise you might never have known about the research programme. I hope the drops help and Dylan stops scratching :hug:

God was looking out for me today, he knows I can't cope with stress. And honestly, the vet I wanted to see is usually ALWAYS busy, a little Spanish lady who is so sweet, she baby talks to Dylan and gives him treats and kisses the whole time.

Ashley
20th August 2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for updating us Pauline. I hope you slept ok last night :confused:

Well its good that the vet was supportive and knew her stuff. Hope it is just his ears playing up, although if it isnt then you know you have the vets support, and hopefully this college programme as well.

Big :hug:

x

sins
20th August 2008, 12:51 PM
Oh dear, I had no idea that you were going through this.We all think Dylan is just the most gorgeous boy and would be upset to hear of any illness.
Hopefully you can get him onto this program at the vet college and it'll answer the question of SM once and for all for you.
Sins

Bunnylover
20th August 2008, 01:01 PM
Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you at this difficult time.Hugs to you and Dylan.x

*Pauline*
20th August 2008, 02:00 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't talk things over with you.

PaganMojo
20th August 2008, 02:13 PM
Big hugs to you & Dylan x

merlinsmum
20th August 2008, 02:35 PM
me and the boys send our love :paw:

Daisy's Mom
20th August 2008, 06:29 PM
So sorry to hear about your worries. I know that must be horrible to suspect something like that, especially as all the fears raised by this program are top of mind.

Good luck to him and you, and lots of prayers, too.

How old is Dylan? I seem to remember you getting him right around the time we got Daisy. which is 2 years ago? Maybe I can find that out in your profile. I'll look.

Sibealb
20th August 2008, 06:36 PM
So sorry to hear you're going through this, Dylan is a gorgeous dog , he really is lucky to have someone like you as a mum. My thoughts are with you. :flwr:

*Pauline*
20th August 2008, 07:05 PM
How old is Dylan? I seem to remember you getting him right around the time we got Daisy. which is 2 years ago? Maybe I can find that out in your profile. I'll look.

That's nice of you to remember, he's 2 on 8th September.

Tobietots
20th August 2008, 07:12 PM
Sending lots of love and positive thoughts xxx:hug:

frecklesmom
20th August 2008, 07:26 PM
Ah Pauline, sorry you're going thru this time with Dylan.:hug:to you and your sweet boy.

Louise1823
20th August 2008, 07:49 PM
Oly seeing this post now Pauline - so sorry to hear about your beautiful little boy..
I really hope it turns out to be nothing too serious and he will be back to his normal self very soon.
Sending lots of hugs and kisses across the water from me, Millie, Chloe and Rex :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
21st August 2008, 12:11 AM
Pauline I am so sorry you are now having to go through this with darling little Dylan. My heart goes out to you both. Me and the boys will be keeping everything crossed for you xxxx

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. I am still hoping I'm wrong. I'll be trying all the different harnesses I have over the next few days and seeing if I get a different reaction. Also I have asked a friend to film us this week. But for now, I am dealing with it and slightly in denial if that makes sense, only way I can handle it. I also told his breeder. She encouraged me to get the MRI done.

Maxxs_Mummy
21st August 2008, 12:42 AM
((((Pauline)))) that makes perfect sense - been there done that etc.... Sometimes it's the only way of dealing with it. Do you want me to email you my phone number? I am free tomorrow if you want a chat. Thinking of you x

Maxxs_Mummy
21st August 2008, 12:45 AM
Meant to say that at least Dylan's breeder is one of the better ones out there (or so I have heard). I am sure she'll also give you plenty of support. If he does happen to be affected I hope she won't use his parents to breed from again, or his siblings unless scanned clear. Big hugs anyway xxxxx

Cathy Moon
21st August 2008, 12:58 AM
So sorry you have these concerns about Dylan. :flwr:

You might want to try a harness in the same style as the UpCountry step-in harness. There are links to it in the shopping and SM forums. That's what worked best for Charlie, and now for Geordie as well. Geordie doesn't seem to be comfortable in his Puppia at all.

pinkpuppy
21st August 2008, 02:28 AM
Oh Pauline. I hope this is not true for Dylan. He is such a handsome darling boy. Many hugs and paws crossed for a negative outcome.

Sandrac
21st August 2008, 12:47 PM
Pauline
We all know Dylan so well through your posts, he is such a darling. Sincerely hope that it is an ear problem, keeping fingers crossed for you.:xfngr:

shippers
21st August 2008, 01:05 PM
:xfngr: this is a minor health problem which can be fixed easily. I will be thinking of you and Dylan this week. He is a gorgeous boy. Please let us all know how you get on next week at the vet?

Nicki
21st August 2008, 04:08 PM
Pauline, so sorry to hear of your concerns for wee Dylan.

It's good that your vet is so aware - it might be worth you rereading this site and printing off the relevant information for your vet too.

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

I really hope that it isn't SM, and that maybe once his ears are ok he will be just fine.

It's brilliant that you have already contacted his breeder and that she is being supportive :thmbsup:

Lucysweetie
21st August 2008, 04:31 PM
I'm just throwing in another thought, could he be sensitive to his harness? My Golden is very sensitive when walking on leash and he pulls a little he'll stop and scratch his neck right away. He is not a puller. Also on ocations I put a harness on him and he can't stop scratching because it's a new sensation on his body. Like a said he is my sensitive boy LOL.
I hope you're boy is getting better soon.
Elke

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 04:34 PM
could he be sensitive to his harness?

This is what I'm thinking. I will be trying all the harnesses I have this week, I have a few styles.

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 04:36 PM
You might want to try a harness in the same style as the UpCountry step-in harness.

Thanks Cathy. I had a look at their web site, thanks for the tip. I have one the same style and I just put it on him and it is in fact further away from his neck so we will try that next walk.

Sabby
21st August 2008, 04:39 PM
Hi Pauline

I will be hoping and praying that this will turn out to be something minor.

Thinking of you and Dylan.

Sabby

Justine
21st August 2008, 04:40 PM
Sorry to hear this,Alfs is going to a top vets here in Cork,we have a major ear problem and its not getting any better,he has gone deaf,not totally,but he is shaking the head alot.He has been on antibiotics 3 times and we have now made the decision to go to the top.I am worried,i have to use hand signals and we have to touch him now to get his attention.Hopefuuly it can be resolved one way or another.One of the girls at the vets said what would i do with him if his hearing has gone.I just gave her the LOOK.

Cleo's Person
21st August 2008, 04:42 PM
Oh Justine, I'm so sorry to hear that Alfs is also unwell. :( Fingers crossed all goes well with the Cork vet. Have you actually been there yet for your appointment? Tx

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 04:53 PM
Oh Justine, so sorry. Ears are tricky, Dylan had not been scratching his ears and they are not infected but she said even the outer ear was a bit red. If I had not gone to the vet to ask about SM, I would not have known his ears were sore. Let us know what happens please. :hug:

Justine
21st August 2008, 05:03 PM
Hi,Pauline.he had to be knocked out and they went down deep in the canal,and it was black.I think the vets didnt react quick anough,the drops were proberly never going deep anough becos there was so much muck in there.

Justine
21st August 2008, 05:09 PM
By the way,Pauline i wasnt meaning to tell Alfs story and forget about yours,hoping just to make us feel a little better with our worries.

cy1266
21st August 2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Pauline, I'm sorry to hear about Dylan...I hope it's just an ear issue, but if it's anything more he's lucky to have you as his mom since you take such great care of him. I'm glad your breeder is being supportive. Miles and Truman are also thinking about him and hope that he's okay :flwr: Keep us posted...

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 06:23 PM
By the way,Pauline i wasn't meaning to tell Alf's story and forget about yours,hoping just to make us feel a little better with our worries.

No problem Justine, it's all relevant and I'm not the only one with worries. We are all here for each other at these times.

hbmama
21st August 2008, 06:42 PM
Oh Pauline, I know the angst you are going through now. If I hadn't been up to date on this information from this forum, I would have never figured out that Dottie had any problem other than what I thought was "Cavalier quirky behavior."

She had many of the symptoms at 7 months, like happily walking along and then yelping for no reason, or yelping sometimes when I put on her harness. She also started walking in the funny curved "C" position sometimes in the yard. She also yawned alot, shook her head, scratched incessantly at her neck and ears and rubbed her head and face along the carpet and furniture after eating. The only two symptoms that we never saw were the air scratching and limb weakness.

I too was terrified it was early onset SM and got her right to a neurologist after being cleared by her vet for other causes. The day of the MRI was the longest ever, but she was ultimately diagnosed with a mild chiari-like malformation (common in Cavs) with NO syrinxes. She did have alot of fluid in her ear and was diagnosed with PSOM. After she had her myringotomy/ear flush and plug removal, she is thankfully symptom free.

You are fortunate to have a study that Dylan can participate in. Fortunately we had Pet Plan insurance that paid for the bulk of the $3,200.00 in vet and mri fees, though I would happily mortgage the house to pay for WHATEVER medical needs she has.

You and Dylan will be in my daily thoughts and prayers that he is properly diagnosed and treated soon so he can be relieved of his discomfort.:hug: We will watch for updates. Hang in there!

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 06:54 PM
She had many of the symptoms at 7 months, like happily walking along and then yelping for no reason, or yelping sometimes when I put on her harness. She also started walking in the funny curved "C" position sometimes in the yard. She also yawned alot, shook her head, scratched incessantly at her neck and ears and rubbed her head and face along the carpet and furniture after eating. The only two symptoms that we never saw were the air scratching and limb weakness.

Oh my goodness, I obviously know a lot less about SM than I though because you are describing Dylan right there. He does the C shaped back when he is happy to see me. I'd heard a dog wags it's tail mostly to the right when it's extra happy and I thought Dylan was wagging his whole body to the right he was so happy! I'm so stupid. :(:(

sins
21st August 2008, 07:06 PM
How soon will you know about dates for the scan?
Sins

Aileen
21st August 2008, 08:53 PM
Oh my goodness, I obviously know a lot less about SM than I though because you are describing Dylan right there. He does the C shaped back when he is happy to see me. I'd heard a dog wags it's tail mostly to the right when it's extra happy and I thought Dylan was wagging his whole body to the right he was so happy! I'm so stupid. :(:(
No you are not stupid a lot of people would not know :hug:
---Aileen

Karlin
21st August 2008, 08:57 PM
Pauline, I wouldn't worry until you get a scan if needed, and know what you are actually dealing with. I very much doubt his curving himself when he sees you is scoliosis -- a lot of dogs will do this. Scoliosis tends to affect young dogs and then they grow out of it as they seem to adjust to it -- with SM it is more likely to see scoliosis when the dog is around 6 months old. You would tend to see the C shape more when the dog is being walked, too. There is a chance it could be but on the whole I wouldn't think so, in that circumstance.

Marilyn
21st August 2008, 10:50 PM
Pauline; I have only recently begun to post, but have always enjoyed the pictures and your stories of handsome Dylan. I am keeping good thoughts for you and all paws and fingers crossed here over the "pond."

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 10:57 PM
I very much doubt his curving himself when he sees you is scoliosis -- a lot of dogs will do this.

That's a relief, my brother has scoliosis so I know what that is. Dylan's spine is lovely and straight normally.

I'm in a bit of a daze at the moment. I am trying to stay calm.

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 11:03 PM
How soon will you know about dates for the scan?
Sins
The vet first needs to rule out any other possibilities. If she suspected SM she would refer to the college then they would examine Dylan and decide if he qualifies before planning an MRI. I don't know the time scale involved.

Sabby
21st August 2008, 11:06 PM
I am probably paranoid but my Rosie and Ebony always rub there faces along the carpet and furniture after they have eaten. Rosie also does that when she had a poo and comes in from the garden. And when I come in they wag their tails, it looks like the whole back of the body is moving, and they rub themselves on my legs.
Is that just coincidence?
Sabby

*Pauline*
21st August 2008, 11:12 PM
I am probably paranoid but my Rosie and Ebony always rub there faces along the carpet and furniture after they have eaten. And when I come in they wag their tails, it looks like the whole back of the body is moving, and they rub themselves on my legs.
Is that just coincidence?
Sabby

Well I only heard about dogs rubbing their faces after eating being a symptom today. I know dogs who do this, not Cavaliers, isn't this normal?

The bum wag is pretty normal too, I was only worried as Dylan did it to one side.

Chelle & Rex
21st August 2008, 11:20 PM
Pauline just wanted to send big :hug:to you and Dylan. I hope he'll be ok, he's such a gorgeous doggie

hbmama
22nd August 2008, 02:24 AM
Pauline, I wasn't trying to panic you more with the symptoms that Dottie had, just trying to say that I didn't pay that much attention to them until I started reading up on the conditions here on the board. Until you have had an MRI you won't really know what you are dealing with. The "C" walk could be something that these dogs just do when they are excited. I just know that she hasn't done it since her myringotomy/ear flush, a few months ago.

We were so fearful that it was SM but it was a HUGE relief to find that it was just PSOM, which is much easier to treat. The MRI and diagnosis from her neurologist (who has done many SM surgeries, and also lectures to Cavalier clubs on the subject), brought us peace of mind and relief.

I know it is so hard waiting to find out, but just try not to get over anxious and take the attitude that you are going in the right direction to find a reason for Dylan's behavior. You will be in my constant thoughts and prayers!

hbmama
22nd August 2008, 02:28 AM
Oh, and regarding the face rubbing.....I also saw that in the archives as a listed symptom. However, the neurologist said that some dogs just do this and it isn't necessarily a firm symptom of SM. Dottie still does it after eating sometimes. She seems happy and healthy otherwise. One additional note...my sister's purebred Aussie Terrier also does this after eating and sometimes while playing.

cecily
22nd August 2008, 09:44 AM
Well I only heard about dogs rubbing their faces after eating being a symptom today. I know dogs who do this, not Cavaliers, isn't this normal?

The bum wag is pretty normal too, I was only worried as Dylan did it to one side.

Well both Tandie and Dougal rubbed their faces after eating. Tandie preferred my silk hand woven mat I brought home from India last year!! And Dougal prefers me!!!!! Not sure which is worse. But let me tell you, Dougal NEEDS to wipe his mouth after eating. We've started calling him Droogal because he has drool tracks right down to his neck :D

Anyway, I just wanted to say don't panic. Many of the SM symptoms have a lot in common with normal dog behaviour. I think it's great you're being so careful, and getting him checked but don't worry unduly. Isn't it true that something like 90% of what you worry about will never happen?

And if the worst comes to the worst you're in great company, with so many knowledgable people on the boards, and many that are dealing with an SM dog also.

My thoughts are with you and Dylan Pauline. I hope the change of harness helps. :xfngr:

pippa
22nd August 2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Pauline...I know you are going through a lot at the moment but try not to worry too much about possible outcomes..I do this all the time and get myself worked up before I even know what I am dealing with...as for the curved to one side waggy bum Pippin does this all the time when he see's me come in from work and has always done ...it's just excitement...I think he wags his tail so much he propels himself around!

*Pauline*
22nd August 2008, 10:49 AM
As Dylan has had a few episodes of ear infections could it be PSOM? Would you get air scratching on a harness with this? Is PSOM something that is confused with SM in diagnosis?

Edit: Don't worry, I just read air scratching is not associated with SM.

Cathy Moon
22nd August 2008, 11:25 PM
As Dylan has had a few episodes of ear infections could it be PSOM? Would you get air scratching on a harness with this? Is PSOM something that is confused with SM in diagnosis?

Edit: Don't worry, I just read air scratching is not associated with SM.
Pauline, I don't want to upset you, but air scratching IS associated with SM.

Charlie air scratched whenever he had a pain episode. Geordie, whose SM is milder, does not air scratch. He had started to neck/shoulder scratch when excited just before he was diagnosed. Now he only scratches when his medication is wearing off.

Karlin
22nd August 2008, 11:53 PM
I think maybe Pauline meant not associated with PSOM?

On ear infections -- these don;t have anything to do with PSOM -- PSOM is in the space on the other side of the eardrum, not the outer side where infections happen. Some dogs jut seem to be prone to ear infections.

Face rubbing in cavaliers with SM tends to be pretty distinctive -- you get the sense that they are really trying to scratch an itch. When Lo does this, he usually is clearly feeling s sudden jolt of discomfort. Same when he scoots where it seems related to SM as opposed to just scooting, which all four of mine do.

Lots of dogs of all types also scoot and face rub. These are to activities that can be associated with SM that I would not worry about unless they happen in association with other indications or seem to be sudden responses to pain or discomfort.

The lead scratching is a very distinctive sM trait. None of my other dogs ever does that kind of stop and start scratching on and off during a walk. One of the videos I have on the SM site shows Leo scratching while walking. You can see that it isn't as extreme as the dog from the BBC film but still is pretty noticeable as 'not normal'.

*Pauline*
23rd August 2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look at the SM site, I haven't noticed anything other than the 2 dogs scratching so if I can't find it, please would you post a link? Thanks for the advice. I think the only evidence I have is the air scratching. Dylan does scoot, rub his face but I feel these are normal. He does keep getting up from sleep to find another spot, I always thought this was because he was hot as he has a very full coat but now I'm not so sure. I printed off all the info for my vet from the SM site, thanks for that, it's a very good idea.

I've just found it, I don't know how I missed that. Dylan scratches worse than that, more often and he keeps walking but on 3 legs. The only thing that I don't understand is why it stops after a while. Maybe he is pulling less after he gets tired. He seems to forget it when he is on his long lead with the same harness in the park.

babs
23rd August 2008, 11:53 PM
Hi Pauline
I really hope and pray that Dylan is not so sick as you fear.He is just adorable and he has the best mum to look after him :lotsaluv:

Scouty girl
24th August 2008, 01:31 AM
Pauline, how is sweet Dylan feeling today? I'm so sorry to read that he's under the weather, please keep us posted. Everything will work out.

*Pauline*
24th August 2008, 02:35 PM
Pauline, how is sweet Dylan feeling today? I'm so sorry to read that he's under the weather, please keep us posted. Everything will work out.

He seems ok, scratching his ears less but that wasn't the problem anyway. He is very good at taking his drops. I've been frightened to take him out and put a harness on his and to see him hopping along but I am taking him out soon as we have a big congregation do and there will be two other dogs and I like him to see other dogs when possible as he doesn't have many play mates. I've put a different harness on him and it's further from his neck so that's better. He'll probably pull though!

brid kenny
24th August 2008, 09:43 PM
Only catching up with everything here. Just watched the programme on "You Tube" as well. Hope Dylan is okay.

*Pauline*
29th September 2008, 10:11 AM
:updte: Hmm...I'm not sure that spangly update icon reflects my mood today. I'll keep this brief as I don't want to think about it or I'll be upset all day. We are off to the vets today at 2.15. as Dylan's ears are all cleared up nicely as has the conjunctivitis that followed. So now we have to see about that referral to the neurologist today.

Alison_Leighfield
29th September 2008, 10:24 AM
Hope it goes well, thinking about you both today. Let us know how it goes.

Alison

Jan Bell
29th September 2008, 10:31 AM
:xfngr: Fingers crossed for you. Hope it goes well.

Best wishes,

diddy
29th September 2008, 10:36 AM
Will be thinking of you and Dylan today. Hope everything goes well for him.

sins
29th September 2008, 10:40 AM
Think positive thoughts Pauline,
Good luck with the appointment and give Dylan a big hug from us all.
Sins

*Pauline*
29th September 2008, 10:51 AM
What else could the air scratching be? :( I have written a list of things to tell the vet.

Air scratching while walkng on harness.
Sratching ears, very minimal, twice a day, very brief. I'd say this wasn't a symptom.
Wiping face after meals, prolonged. Has stopped this recently.
Changing sleeping spot as if too hot or uncomfortable very frequently.
Yelping sometimes when picked up.
Yelping in pain for no aparent reason, very distressed, once.
Spaced out a couple of times, not epileptic.

pippa
29th September 2008, 11:06 AM
Hope all goes well today..hugs to you and Dylan.

coconut
29th September 2008, 11:33 AM
good luck today pauline!

leesanlucie
29th September 2008, 11:40 AM
Good luck at the vet today.....:xfngr: for Dylan
Keep us all posted.
x

Aileen
29th September 2008, 11:41 AM
good luck today pauline!
Me Too
Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Claire L
29th September 2008, 12:05 PM
Good luck today Pauline. :xfngr: everything goes well and you get all of your questions answered. At least then you have something to work with.

Will be thinking of you so let us know how it goes :hug::hug:

Cleo's Person
29th September 2008, 12:05 PM
Pauline, I hope it all goes really well today. :xfngr: :xfngr: and big :hug: :hug: :hug: to you today.

brotymo
29th September 2008, 02:26 PM
Pauline,
Hugs and good thoughts coming to you from us today. I hope you get answers and hope for an SM free future.

:hug:

*Pauline*
29th September 2008, 04:25 PM
We just got back. I got a lift to the vets as the air scratching happens at the beginning of a walk. I asked her to come outside with me and walk behind Dylan and watch him walk. That was enough, we are being referred. I think she is concerned as the last two times I went to pay, it's been free. I only had to pay for the referral today £20, no consultation fee.

She said the letter she received about the free consultation and MRI for research came about a year ago and hopes it's still free. Otherwise my insurance will pay. She said if the Veterinary College think he is not a candidate I may have to pay the consult there but I can claim that back too. She said the insurance have to pay for that as she said the referral is necessary.

I'm not too bad. As soon as I came out I met a friend and she told me her dog might have cancer in his nose. If it is cancer, the vet said it's probably too late to do anything because it's been bad for a while and a different vet didn't twig.

brotymo
29th September 2008, 04:34 PM
Pauline, I'm sorry. I suppose it is good that he is being referred right away with no hassles so you can get a definitive diagnosis sooner rather than later.

I hope things work out okay for him. :flwr:

sins
29th September 2008, 04:49 PM
A referral sounds wise as you need an answer at this stage.Did she give any indication of how long the scan appointment might take to come through?
Sins

*Pauline*
29th September 2008, 04:57 PM
A referral sounds wise as you need an answer at this stage.Did she give any indication of how long the scan appointment might take to come through?
Sins

Yes because I asked if he could have his Kennel cough vaccine, it's due next month. She said she didn't want to because she didn't want him to go to the neurologist with the sniffles or anything. She said it might be one week.

coconut
29th September 2008, 05:02 PM
at least u got ur referral pauline! give dylan a hug for me!!

*Pauline*
29th September 2008, 05:03 PM
I can't remember the name of the veterinary college she said, it's just off the M25 apparently. I'm wondering if it's the Royal Veterinary College in Hertfordshire. Anyone heard of it?

*Pauline*
29th September 2008, 05:04 PM
at least u got ur referral pauline! give dylan a hug for me!!

Yes, my vet is lovely, she has made this as simple as possible for me. She is very kind.

Cleo's Person
29th September 2008, 06:15 PM
Pauline, I'm sorry to hear that Dylan needs to referral, but am glad that you have met such a considerate, kind and caring vet. :xfngr: an referral appointment comes through soon for him, and that it goes well. Please pass on a :hug: to Dylan for me and here's a few for yourself :hug: :hug: :hug:

HollyDolly
29th September 2008, 09:23 PM
Have just logged on Pauline, my word it has been a bad few days for you, what with Antonia's allergies and not knowing if she has become allergic to Dylan.
My thoughts are with you all.:xfngr:

*Pauline*
29th September 2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the hugs and best wishes.

Elaine 2
29th September 2008, 10:33 PM
Just to let you know I'm thinking of you and Dylan,

pippa
29th September 2008, 11:07 PM
More hugs to you and Dylan.

Sorry to hear about your friends dog, hope the next few weeks bring good news for you both.

Cathy Moon
30th September 2008, 12:49 AM
Your vet sounds like a very kind person. We'll be thinking of you and Dylan as you wait for your appointment. :hug: I think it is better to get a diagnosis sooner rather than later, since you can start giving him something to lower his CSF pressure, which could very well slow progression (if he has SM).

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks everyone, I don't know what I'd do without you all to help with advice and support. It would be quite easy to never have heard of SM if it wasn't for this forum.

Lani
30th September 2008, 12:55 AM
Thinking of you and Dylan, Pauline :hug:

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 12:58 AM
Any advice on meds would be great. What's good, what's not so good. How they work etc. Which are for pain, which lower CFS pressure.

Cathy Moon
30th September 2008, 01:23 AM
There's lots of information in the SM forum.

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 01:25 AM
There's lots of information in the SM forum.

Oh yes, silly me. I'll take a look in the morning :eek: it's 1:30am!

Cathy Moon
30th September 2008, 01:30 AM
Oh my - you're being a night owl tonight! :)

arasara
30th September 2008, 02:40 AM
Nothing like hopping onto the wagon late, (I've been very busy!) but Pauline, I just want to say I am SO sorry that you think Dylan may have SM :( I want to give you big over seas *HUGZ*. How worrying this must be for you. Hopefully things go well .. :xfngr: :hug::hug::flwr:

pinkpuppy
30th September 2008, 03:24 AM
Lots of :hug:, Pauline. Hope everything will be sorted out quickly and not as bad as it seems. Sorry to hear about your daughter being allergic too. I know how that feels.:(

Margaret C
30th September 2008, 12:42 PM
I can't remember the name of the veterinary college she said, it's just off the M25 apparently. I'm wondering if it's the Royal Veterinary College in Hertfordshire. Anyone heard of it?

Hello Pauline.

The RVC is a very well known veterinary teaching hospital. They were doing a trial on a new pain killing drug for syringomyelia earlier this year, and participants did get free MRI's, but that has now finished.

I live about 10 - 15 minutes away from the College, so when you get your appointment let me know & I'll see if I can pop over & meet you.

Margaret C

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 01:11 PM
Oh it would be lovely to meet you Margaret. Is this the best place to go as I just got off the phone from the vet and she told me the consultation and MRI will cost between £1,300 and £1,500. I have to ring my insurance company and see if they will pay for this. Are the places that do it cheaper only for breeders?

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 01:19 PM
I'm on hold on the phone to the insurance company AXA, stressed!!!!h*lp

coconut
30th September 2008, 01:20 PM
fingers crossed they will pay up

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 02:20 PM
Yes they will pay and the premiums won't shoot up next year because I put a claim in. I just called the vets manager to say yes go ahead and she was so nice she said it's very sad and he's young dog so keep an open mind to treatment, see what they say. She is trying to get me an appointment in the afternoon or late morning because of traffic on the M25.

It has really hit me now and I'm very upset.

AXA will give me up to £7000 every year.

Now I should make a dvd of his symptoms.

Phoebe
30th September 2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Pauline, I'm sorry to hear that you are having to go through this with Dylan, it must be a very worrying time for you. Very good news that your insurance company will readily pay up. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the results of Dylan's tests will be positive ones and I shall follow this thread to see how things go.
Kindest regards, Phoebe's mum :hug:

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 02:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your support. It's very much needed and appreciated.

Karlin
30th September 2008, 02:43 PM
Hi Pauline -- I'm sorry for all the worry as well. On the lower cost schemes -- they are not useful for diagnostic purposes if you actually want your dog treated -- the low cost scans are very basic scans and consults to give breeders awareness of the status of their breeding dogs. Pet owners can use them too -- at a higher cost but still relatively low -- but again that doesn't involve treatment advice, or a full consult, and another full MRI would be needed for surgery.

Cleo's Person
30th September 2008, 03:37 PM
Pauline, I'm so glad to hear that your insurer will cover the cost. I hope you can get an appointment at a convenient time so that you're not stuck in traffic for ages.

coconut
30th September 2008, 03:39 PM
pauline that is good news that the insurance company will cover the MRI!!! i hope u get a appointment pretty soon

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 03:57 PM
Hi Pauline -- I'm sorry for all the worry as well. On the lower cost schemes -- they are not useful for diagnostic purposes if you actually want your dog treated -- the low cost scans are very basic scans and consults to give breeders awareness of the status of their breeding dogs. Pet owners can use them too -- at a higher cost but still relatively low -- but again that doesn't involve treatment advice, or a full consult, and another full MRI would be needed for surgery.

Thank you, the vet and insurance company want me to go to the Royal Veterinary College as it's very good there. Did you go there?

Dublin
1st October 2008, 09:44 AM
Oh Pauline I'm only reading this now.

You must be going out of your head with worry. I hope you get your apt soon & get sorted asap

big hugs for you & Dylan :hug:

Shelli
1st October 2008, 10:43 AM
Only seen this now! I hope you get your appointment soon :xfngr: It's great that your insurance will cover the MRI. Big :hug::hug: for you and Dylan.

*Pauline*
3rd October 2008, 08:08 PM
I got a call from the vets practice manager, she got me an appointment for the 15th of this month at the Royal Veterinary College. She told me not to feed him after his evening meal the night before, I think, I felt so sick with nerves I couldn't take it in. I asked if he'd need the scan that day, she didn't know but I assume so if he can't eat. I hope they only sedate him and not put him under a general.

pippa
3rd October 2008, 08:11 PM
Glad you got your appointment try not to worry too much...I know thats easier said than done..hugs again to you and Dylan.

Margaret C
3rd October 2008, 09:34 PM
I got a call from the vets practice manager, she got me an appointment for the 15th of this month at the Royal Veterinary College. She told me not to feed him after his evening meal the night before, I think, I felt so sick with nerves I couldn't take it in. I asked if he'd need the scan that day, she didn't know but I assume so if he can't eat. I hope they only sedate him and not put him under a general.

Hello * Pauline*

Don't worry, the RVC is excellent. They will take good care of Dylan.
I'll come and meet you on the 15th.

I tried to send you a private message but your box is full. I'll be in touch next week for more details of your appointment.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

*Pauline*
3rd October 2008, 09:44 PM
Oh thank you so much Margaret. I'll delete some PMs now...

Dublin
3rd October 2008, 09:47 PM
Good luck Pauline, we'll be thinking of you both on the 15th xxxxxx

Chelle & Rex
3rd October 2008, 09:51 PM
Pauline :hug: to you and Dylan, I hope everthing goes ok on the 15th and we'll all be here for you waiting to hear how it goes xx

*Pauline*
3rd October 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks Sonia :flwr: Thanks Chelle :flwr:

Aileen
3rd October 2008, 10:10 PM
Take care of your self I will be thinking of you and Dylan on the 15th:hug:
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie--Jake)

HollyDolly
3rd October 2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Pauline and Dylan

Just to let you know we will all be thinking of you on the 15th and also to say thank you to Margaret C for meeting you there, how wonderful to have someone like Margaret be with you.:flwr:

sins
3rd October 2008, 10:28 PM
Not everyone is so fortunate to have Margaret in their corner:)! You know we're all behind you,wishing you and Dylan all the best and sending positive vibes.No matter what the outcome, he's been blessed with someone who will do everything to give him the most amazing quality of life.I know he'll continue to bring you many more years of joy and happiness.
Try not to worry too much.
Sins

Alison_Leighfield
3rd October 2008, 10:28 PM
We will have everything crossed on the day for you both Pauline...have you informed his breeder of whats going on? I'm sure she would give you some support with all this worry.

Alison.

Jasperxxgabby
3rd October 2008, 10:30 PM
Pauline and little Dylan, thinking of you and hoping all goes well on the 15th.
Sending you :luv::flwr::flwr::flwr::hug: and positive thoughts.
Andrea

*Pauline*
3rd October 2008, 11:07 PM
We will have everything crossed on the day for you both Pauline...have you informed his breeder of whats going on? I'm sure she would give you some support with all this worry.

Alison.

Hi Alison, yes I told Dylan's breeder right from the start. She asked me to keep her informed. I'm very tearful tonight and have had a head ache nearly all day.

*Pauline*
3rd October 2008, 11:15 PM
Not everyone is so fortunate to have Margaret in their corner:)! You know we're all behind you,wishing you and Dylan all the best and sending positive vibes.No matter what the outcome, he's been blessed with someone who will do everything to give him the most amazing quality of life.I know he'll continue to bring you many more years of joy and happiness.
Try not to worry too much.
Sins

I know, it will really be nice for me to have someone there who will know what's going to happen on the day. I'm the kind of person who asks lots of questions. I hope I don't cry.

About the future, well not knowing what to expect is really hard. I think every dog is different. I see his symptoms progressing even over the month. He yelped today when I picked him up for a cuddle. I'm frightened to walk him because his harness must be pressing on something to make him scratch. I actually haven't walked him for a few days.

littlelady
3rd October 2008, 11:27 PM
Pauline, I really hope everything goes well for you and Dylan, Will be thinking of you:flwr::flwr::flwr:

*Pauline*
3rd October 2008, 11:45 PM
Thank you everyone so much. No one else seems to understand. :(

Cathy T
4th October 2008, 12:53 AM
Praying for you and Dylan, Pauline! I'm so sorry you are going through so much but glad you have so much support. And we all understand :hug:

brotymo
4th October 2008, 01:44 AM
Pauline, I pray you get some answers soon. This must be so hard! It is like worrying about your children when something is wrong.
Hugs to you both.

Jan Bell
4th October 2008, 08:46 AM
Pauline, I hope that you get some answers on 15th, so ask all the questions you can. And if you get upset, I am sure no one there will be at all suprised - it's very natural to be upset when your much beloved pet is unwell. I am so glad that Margaret is going to be able to be there to support you.

Lots of love to Dylan

*Pauline*
4th October 2008, 12:14 PM
I just got the letter from the RVC and it says they do MRI scans on Wednesdays and Fridays but my appointment is on Wednesday. They do say if he needs a scan he'll have to stay in over night the night before the scan. So I assume the scan isn't on the 15th. They do say not to feed him that day so maybe they will keep him in on the 15th. Confused.

I just phoned them, the scanner is broken anyway :eek: So it might just be a consultation.

Cathy Moon
4th October 2008, 01:30 PM
About the future, well not knowing what to expect is really hard. I think every dog is different. I see his symptoms progressing even over the month. He yelped today when I picked him up for a cuddle. I'm frightened to walk him because his harness must be pressing on something to make him scratch. I actually haven't walked him for a few days.

Pauline, after he is taking medications for SM you will most likely notice improvement in his symptoms.

This is how we used to pick up Charlie - use a soft baby blanket folded for padding under his tummy. As you lift him, support his bum. Hold him close. :lotsaluv:

*Pauline*
4th October 2008, 02:42 PM
Pauline, after he is taking medications for SM you will most likely notice improvement in his symptoms.

This is how we used to pick up Charlie - use a soft baby blanket folded for padding under his tummy. As you lift him, support his bum. Hold him close. :lotsaluv:

Thank you Cathy, I must admit, I'm always picking him up for cuddles. He loves to put his head on my shoulder. Sometimes you can tell he's tired but he keeps getting over excited and barking a lot and I give him a cuddle, walk around for a minute and he falls asleep in my arms bless him. The same works for toddlers:rolleyes:

jazz
4th October 2008, 07:27 PM
Pauline, I want you to know your "sis" from the states is concerned right along with you. I don't check in here everyday, but you can be sure on the 15th I will. First, I hope the worrying will be for nothing. If that can't be, I hope you'll get the best advice and care there is.

My heart is with you.

*Pauline*
4th October 2008, 08:05 PM
Pauline, I want you to know your "sis" from the states is concerned right along with you. I don't check in here everyday, but you can be sure on the 15th I will. First, I hope the worrying will be for nothing. If that can't be, I hope you'll get the best advice and care there is.

My heart is with you.

Thanks sis:hug: I think it's just a consultation this time, I'll let you know.

hilary
5th October 2008, 08:59 PM
Pauline ....really hope you get good news about Dylan . I know how worried you must be . Sending you lots of hugs .....Hilary

coconut
5th October 2008, 09:53 PM
pauline i am really hoping that dylan will get good news!!!

murphy's mum
5th October 2008, 10:13 PM
Pauline, I've been following your thread, but not posting anything, as I've struggled to find words that could help comfort you at this time. I still really don't know what to say, except I'm thinking of you during this difficult time, and hoping with all my heart that you get some good news.

I can't imagine what it would be like to pick Murphy up for a cuddle only to have him yelp in pain:( There's nothing better than a cuddle from your Cavi to cheer you up.

Give Dylan a big kiss from me, sending you a big hug as well:hug:

*Pauline*
5th October 2008, 10:37 PM
Thank you Hilary, Aine and Murphy's Mum.

I know it's hard to know what to say and for that reason I really value everyones comments. Just checking into this thread lets me know I'm not facing this on my own.

I just want to do my best for him. I hope he never has to feel pain and I hope he lives a long time. Dylan doesn't yelp every time I pick him up.

cy1266
6th October 2008, 05:45 PM
Pauline,
Good luck with your appointment on the 15th, we'll all be thinking of you and Dylan. Miles + Truman are keeping their paws crossed that everything turns out okay...keep us posted on how he's doing.

When Truman had his back injury recently he yelped whenever I picked him up the "normal" way (one hand under his bum and one under his front arms). I found that if I picked him up with his back parallel to the ground, very slowly, one arm in front of his front legs and one arm in back of his back legs, and held him close to me, he didn't yelp. Stay stong, Dylan is lucky to have such a wonderful mom :lotsaluv:

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 07:20 PM
I'm not feeling very happy at all. My breeder sent me one of Gordon Inglis' write-ups on SM. :(

I tried to get over my fear of putting a harness on Dylan. He did air scratch all the way to the park in the center of town. I kept reassuring him. We went to the park and I put him on his long lead, it's one used for horses. I can't let him off, he is not neutered. This lead is very long and he gets a good run. What we like to do is I call "come" and start running in the opposite direction and he charges along towards me. This boy looks stunning when he runs. He was the delight of his training class when we did recall. We met a B&T boy who was beautiful and a tiny cross breed who usually goes for dogs but she loved Dylan.

Unfortunately, on the way home, we walked past the veterinary practice. We saw a dog outside and went to say hello but the owner said to keep back as her dog had kennel cough, I hope we were not too close, after being told kennel cough can travel 1 mile. Dylan is due his vaccine next month. But as you know, the vaccine doesn't cover every strain of kennel cough. I did ask for it early as lots of dogs have it at the moment but the vet said to wait until after the neurologists consultation.

chloe92us
6th October 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm sitting here thinking about SM, and I too think Casey may have it. So it is worrying to say the least. About the harness thing...Casey has NEVER air-scratched UNTIL I put a harness on her! As soon as I did, she air scratched for about 20 feet until I almost burst into tears and took it off. I was freaking out.

She will always wear a collar- she does not pull (ever) and it doesn't bother her. Have you tried Dylan in a collar? Since it seems that their armpit area seems to be so sensitive (it is w/ Casey) is it possible that harnesses actually create pain since they distribute pressure all around, including under the arms? Just a thought. I know they are supposed to be better for the SM and herniation, but it seems to cause pain i Casey and possibly others including Dylan.

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you Trisha, I hope you are able to get some treatment for Casey.

I really can't bear the thought of putting a collar on Dylan with the knowledge that his brain might be exposed there. Dylan does pull on the lead. I see your point about the harness though. If anyone has any ideas I would be very pleased. I know the lady who designed the Mekuti Balance Harness. Maybe I could call her and ask if she could design something.

Jan Bell
6th October 2008, 08:08 PM
Pauline, I've only just read your above post. Please don't let your breeder's reply to you upset you, it was very insensitive of her when you are so worried about Dylan. It sounds as if Dylan still enjoys his walks so make the most of these and remember that there are many dogs who still enjoy a great quality of life even with SM.

And Trisha, sorry to hear that you too are worried about Casey. Have you taken him to the vets yet? I can't help much about the harness/collar query but am sure somebody out there has some advice from experience.

Best wishes,

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 08:37 PM
I have just written to Racheal Manns who designed my old harness, see what she says.

rocky
6th October 2008, 09:05 PM
oh, pauline i have not been on for a while but my thoughts are with you i will be counting the days till the 15th, hopefully it wont be as bad as you think. I wish i lived near you to give you a big hug, Dylan is so lucky to have a kind and caring mum like you, and you are doing your best and you must try and take strength from that:hug:

chloe92us
6th October 2008, 09:08 PM
HI Jan, Thanks for your concern. Yes, Casey has had every test imaginable to rule out all else before I go to the neuro. Unfortunately, the local neuro (from what I understand) requires an MRI before doing anything, and we simply don't have the money now. My vet prescribed Rimadyl for the time being and it has helped immensely, although just in the past two days the scratching is back.

chloe92us
6th October 2008, 09:12 PM
I just have to add that I have just read all the comments on Dog World and the comments by Norma and her clam, including Bet (who posted here previously, but it sounds as if she has been banned) leaves me speechless.

WHAT IS THE ARGUMENT EXACTLY?????????

Cavaliers clearly have SM in disproportionate numbers compared to ALL other breeds (although other breeds do have it). So I just don't understand...what is their point? Are they trying, really, to convince people that this is not a problem? Please help me understand.

Mark
6th October 2008, 09:49 PM
Cavaliers clearly have SM in disproportionate numbers compared to ALL other breeds (although other breeds do have it)

Is this true? I have never read this?

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 10:02 PM
Is this true? I have never read this?

Yes it's true. Let me find you a video about it...

Here it is.
http://www.thedoctorschannel.com/video/897.html

Mark
6th October 2008, 10:10 PM
But I thought there were no decent epidemiological studies in Cavaliers....??

I'd like to see that video Pauline thanks

littlelady
6th October 2008, 10:40 PM
OH Pauline big hugs hun, i think my ruby has got it too!! i tried to hide it and ignore it! im good at running from problems! Thinking of you and Dylan. xxx

littlelady
6th October 2008, 10:51 PM
Just for info, does Dylan yelp sometimes when you pick him up?

Karlin
6th October 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm not feeling very happy at all. My breeder sent me one of Gordon Inglis' write-ups on SM. :(
Well that would certainly NOT be helpful. :bang: I cannot think of anything less helpful to an owner of a dog that one fears has SM.

I hope your scan will go well, Pauline. I would send the result and write up to your breeder by registered post so that she definitely knows his status.

Mark if you want all the current research references to SM also try:

Cavalierhealth.org

smcavalier.com

This was written some time back by Geoff Skerritt, one of the leading neurologists in the UK and the first to identify SM in the breed in the UK. He has now MRId over 1000 cavaliers:

Mr. Geoffrey Skerritt, BVSc, MIBiol ,CBiol, DipECVN, FRCVS on CM/SM in the breed:

"At ChesterGates Referral Hospital, and before that Cranmore Veterinary Centre, we have seen approximately 600 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels since we were aware of this condition, and our experience is that about 85% of these are showing clinical signs and/or MRI features of CM [the malformation]. Work by geneticists has established that this is an inherited disease although there is some dispute about the precise factors that are genetically transmitted. The inheritance not only results in visibly affected dogs but, as carrier status almost certainly exists, an appreciable proportion of the 15% are capable of transmitting the condition. So, it is likely that there is only a handful of Cavaliers that do not possess genetic factors for CM, and maybe none in the UK. Admittedly CM is not a fatal disease on its own but it can be severely disabling and it seems that some individuals suffer considerable discomfort and actual pain; human Chiari patients can give a clear description of the sensations that result from the disruption of nervous tissue in the development of syringomyelia.
"To ignore CM and continue breeding of Cavaliers with no effort to exclude affected dogs is frankly irresponsible. The situation is almost irretrievable because of the high incidence, and success in saving the breed will take hard decisions and 100% cooperation by breeders. The Kennel Club could be highly influential in the rescue effort; awards in the show ring should not be given to affected dogs. All Cavaliers should be screened with MRI and provided with a certificate that clearly states the MRI findings. I should add that MRI is a highly accurate and advanced technique which can clearly differentiate between dogs that have CM and those that do not. However, it does not identify carriers that have no evidence of the condition."

no decent epidemiological studies in Cavaliers....??

How do you define 'decent'?

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 10:52 PM
Oh I'm so sorry Katie. Please be brave and go to your vets. I know how you feel, I went the day after the BBC documentary as I had never seen air scratching like that. I knew Dylan did this just a little but I had no idea, I thought his harness was itching him. I'd stop, make sure his hair wasn't tangled and carry on. When I walked him to town the day after, he did it all the way. I walked straight to the vet. I was numb for a few weeks, I did what I had to do but I didn't cry for a long time. Now I cry all the time, you have to expect that, but I will get used to it and once I know for sure I will deal with it. AND I know you guys will say all the right things just like we would for you Katie. :hug:

littlelady
6th October 2008, 10:55 PM
Karlin is geoff based in the uk?

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 10:59 PM
Thank you Karlin. I have a lot of respect for Geoff Skerritt.

littlelady
6th October 2008, 11:03 PM
Oh pauline sounds exactly the same as my ruby!! I thought it was normal! hubby said all dogs have itchy bits! hubby said i was paranoid,i want ruby tested for sm, im willing to pay pounds to have her tested for it, I feel so heartbroken just thinking she could have it! but if she has others will know about it. i need to know where i got to from here?? my vet doesnt seem to know bout sm, do i change vets? any good vets in wales? xxx

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 11:04 PM
Karlin is geoff based in the uk?

Yes. I don't know if this info is up to date but here are details of some veterinary neurologists, Geoff Skerritt included.

http://www.vetindex.co.uk/vetindex/neuro_ref.htm

littlelady
6th October 2008, 11:06 PM
when i said to vet about sm in king charles he really didnt know what i was on about do you think i need to change vets?

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 11:08 PM
Katie, you could print off the info from Karlin's SM site and give it to your vet, that's what I did but mine knew all about SM. I think all you need is the referral to the neurologist, see if they will give you that, if not, change.

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 11:10 PM
when i said to vet about sm in king charles he really didnt know what i was on about do you think i need to change vets?

You might have say Syringomyelia rather than SM. I had to learn how to say it let alone spell it!

littlelady
6th October 2008, 11:10 PM
will do and thanks pauline i know it must be such hard time for you,:lotsaluv:

*Pauline*
6th October 2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks Katie, and yes, Dylan does yelp. Have a read through the whole thread, I describe all I have noticed. Sorry Katie, I know how you feel :hug:

Mark
6th October 2008, 11:20 PM
How do you define 'decent'?

Well if we are talking about SM being more prevalent in Cavaliers than any other breed there would need to have been cross sectional studies of cavaliers and all these breeds. Cross sectional studies describe the frequency of a particular attribute (disease/disorder) in a population.

To be decent, these studies would require that the participants be randomly selected from a sampling frame (Cavaliers). It is important that the study sample be representative of the target population (all cavaliers).

The principle of random sampling is that every cavalier would have an equal chance or participation in the study. For example and to simplify it this would mean writing a list of all cavaliers in London (just for example) and randomly choosing every third one on the list to participate.

I don't believe that a properly designed cross sectional study has been performed in order to show that SM is more prevalent in Cavaliers than any other breed. I don't think it has even been done to obtain the prevalence in Cavaliers.

Selection bias occurs in cross sectional studies when study participants are not representative of the target population about which conclusions are to be drawn. This is the only current source of estimate of prevalence which is unreliable.

littlelady
6th October 2008, 11:21 PM
oh pauline im numb, annoyed why the hell did they let my breeder kc reg her!! Im with you on this, and like you i will prob find out the bad in this!!!

Karlin
7th October 2008, 12:09 AM
Well if we are talking about SM being more prevalent in Cavaliers than any other breed there would need to have been cross sectional studies of cavaliers and all these breeds. Cross sectional studies describe the frequency of a particular attribute (disease/disorder) in a population.

Well, this sounds like just the kind of large scale study the breed clubs and kennel clubs internationally need to fund to answer the question. :) All the researchers have been saying this for a long time. Instead little tiny amounts trickle out to this study or that. The largest support so far is what is going into Sarah Blott's study to attempt to produce genetic estimated breeding values. There are details or links on all these studies on the links above, the club sites, and many other places.

But how many diseases within dogs have ever had this type of study? For example, it is widely accepted that MVD is prevalent in cavaliers as they have a relatively short life span and such a high number present with early onset murmurs. Any vet will tell you the breed has a very serious problem with MVD. The majority of us here will lose our cavaliers to this condition -- some at sadly young ages. Some have already lost them to this. Has there ever been a major epidemiological study across every toy breed? No, not that I know of. But any breeder or vet will agree that they see high levels of this condition. About 70-80% of the cavaliers over age 5 that I get in rescue test with a murmur when I vet check them before homing. There are a wide range of narrower studies though. Some of the world's leading cardiologists believe this is a particularly horrible and prevalent problem in the breed and thus devised the MVD protocol a decade ago. Incidence may be less or more that what is estimated but it is still atrociously high and directly affects how long we enjoy our dogs. I have had several rescue dogs die by age 7 now from murmurs, an old dog's disease. Evidence is mostly anecdotal or from modest test groups but it is widespread enough on every continent that no one doubts a high incidence in cavaliers and higher than any other breed as well.

Similarly with SM, talk to any of the neurologists that are seeing lots and lots of cavaliers for MRI and decompression and they will all say cavaliers far outnumber any other breed. Those are dogs that were showing up long before there was any minimal awareness of the condition. On average of the people who come here with a diagnosis or join my email support group, 90% had no idea what their cavalier had; they only knew it was in pain or had begun scratching strangely and become touch sensitive and either their vet looked up the symptoms or they did, or their vet had no idea what was going on and just referred them to a neurologist. Several of the studies have had groups of cavaliers in which the vast majority were believed by owners -- most of them breeders! -- to be unaffected as they were asymptomatic. A huge random sample study would be wonderful -- however is it worth spending the money on such a thing when there are far ore serious issues? I know few people who don't believe that the smallest estimate of 30% with SM is probably the minimum affected (considering too this came from the most random sample group in which most were believed unaffected by owners).

But let's look at the breed evidence so far. This is what Guy Rouleau, who heads the genome research, had to say at the international SM conference last Oct in Rugby (thanks to Rod for writing this up):

Dr. Guy A. Rouleau, (M.D., Ph.D., Director , Centre for the Study of Brain Diseases, Montreal, Canada) reported: "Pedigree analysis in a large database of over 5,500 CKCS has suggested that Cm/SM is inherited where all clinically affected dogs share a small number of common ancestors. To date, no genetic factor predisosing to CMI has been identified in either humans or dogs. He further stated:

"The CKCS is the only known naturally-occurring animal with a high frequency of CMI. We constructed a genealogy of more than 10,600 related CKCS dogs spanning 24 generations across 3 continents (North America, Australia, and Europe) from over 600 MRI confirmed dogs. "

It was so hard for them to find a control group of totally clear CKCS -- eg totally clear of the malformation -- that they went to another breed that is known to be affected, Griffon Bruxellois, for the control dogs. This is the current data on griffons: a worldwide database of 950 dogs spanning 12-15 generations with about 60 MRI confirmed dogs at the moment. But it was not difficult at all to find clear dogs for the control group -- there are lots and lots of clear griffons (clear of CM, clear of SM).

The neurologists do see a number of other toy breeds but all say cavaliers vastly outnumber the other breeds. The concern of course is that whatever has affected cavaliers fairly quickly is now beginning to affect other toys breeds. The question for researchers is whether merely being a toy breed predisposes an entire breed to gradually move towards an increasing incidence of CM/SM.

But not a single researcher or geneticist who has examined the data on cavaliers believes this is not a gravely affected breed. Even most of the breeders who recently might have been denying there was a serious problem in the breed now accept there is a serious problem -- percentages are less a concern than understanding this condition better. Even a 10% level of affectedness would be horrible. Even a 1% level is extremely high.

I'd encourage anyone who would like to see a broader range of breeds studied and larger studies put in place to lobby breed clubs and the national kennel clubs. Personally I feel the genome and EBV research and pain control research is more important -- I would prefer to see a better genetic understanding of CM/SM and more options for pain control for those of us who own one (or more) SM cavaliers. Other breed clubs have the responsibility to encourage the research to see what the status of their own breeds are. There definitely are a lot of yorkies affected for example.

But I could care less at this time whether more cavalier are affected than yorkies or vice versa. I care about the large number of cavaliers already affected and the fact that affected dogs continue to be bred. I care that I have very few ways of caring for my affected dogs and no reliable prognosis, only a guessing game as this condition is so poorly understood. I'd like breeders to have the tools to help them breed healthy dogs.

At any rate a personal thread about a person's concern about their own dog is not the place to open a general discussion of level of affectedness. There's a whole SM discussion group that you can join for such a discussion, or open a separate thread. Or search the archives as this discussion has come up in the past. :thmbsup: This thread is focused on Pauline and Dylan and concerned owners of dogs they fear may be affected.

Karlin
7th October 2008, 12:26 AM
Also wanted to add: yes some sensitive dogs are better on collars than harnesses -- Clare Rusbridge has noted this and I note her comments on the SM site. But I still feel there are a lot of harness designs to exhaust before I'd want to walk an SM dog on a collar.

The jacket style Puppia is more comfortable for some dogs too. Front clip harnesses are also more comfortable for some.

For Katie:

Geoff Skerritt is close, in Chester. Really though, there are a lot of other things to check for first especially in a young dog. It is rare for a puppy to be symptomatic. On my SM site I have a whole list of things to check for first. MRIs are costly and there's no point in doing this until every other possibility s exhausted. If all you are seeing is a young dog occasionally yelping when picked up or occasionally scratching I would not be concerned. It is easy to pick them up so that something gets hurt -- for example never pick them up by their front arms, always support from the chest and hind legs so legs don't dangle. Scratching can be a ton of things. If nothing checks out then ask for a referral to Geoff Skerritt.

Alison_Leighfield
7th October 2008, 08:34 AM
Katie,

being in Wales and on the M4 there are mobile MRI scanners that travel towards Bristol and my own town in Swindon, it calls here every Monday. Nicki the Neurologist can go through the scan with you and then send to Geoff or Claire for a written report. This is what I do myself.
This is not a mini scan-breeders scan scheme, it will require funding by insurance or by your self. "The Great Western Referals" will claim direct for the MRI and other work like reports etc if over £600 which this will be, it saves waiting for your insurance to refund.
Just a thought :)

Alison.

*Pauline*
7th October 2008, 11:08 AM
I don't think Dylan is himself today. He has slept all morning, hasn't touched his food and, much to my delight, fell asleep on my lap. He's no lap dog. Antonia took a nice photo of us, you can tell by my false smile, I've still got my head ache, it's lasted over a week. He is acting ok though so I'm not worried.

Jan Bell
7th October 2008, 11:15 AM
Poor Dylan, must need a rest and some reassurance. Sounds like the stress of everything is getting to you Pauline, so make sure you look after yourself as well as Dylan.

*Pauline*
7th October 2008, 11:38 AM
Thank you Jan, I'm taking it easy today.
Here's that picture of Dylan from this morning, he's still asleep.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2921579206_5848dfb80a.jpg

coconut
7th October 2008, 11:41 AM
Ah dylan looks so cute asleep!! Pauline i hope u start feeling better soon!! I hope dylan feels better also!

Dublin
7th October 2008, 12:14 PM
Dylan is one gorgeous puppy!!!!:lotsaluv:

Hope you're both feeling better soon - a bit of TLC is needed I think! (& maybe some sardines - allways works on my two if they're not eating!)

Shelli
7th October 2008, 12:48 PM
Dylan is gorgeous :lotsaluv:
I hope all goes well on the 15th Pauline :xfngr: Dylan probably senses your anxiety and is trying to comfort you :hug: I hope you are both feeling better soon :flwr::flwr:

*Pauline*
7th October 2008, 01:12 PM
maybe some sardines - allways works on my two if they're not eating!)

I caved in and crumbled a biscuit into his food and he ate it then went back to sleep. I took advantage of his sleepiness and trimmed 2 more feet, I did one yesterday and have one more to go when he comes out from under the table!

I hope it's nothing to do with the dog we came close to with kennel cough.

Jan Bell
7th October 2008, 01:23 PM
That's a lovely picture and Dylan looks so sweet. Glad to hear that he managed to eat something.

Best wishes to you both

*Pauline*
7th October 2008, 01:41 PM
I don't think I would go for it but how much does decompression surgery cost?

Dublin
7th October 2008, 02:16 PM
I caved in and crumbled a biscuit into his food and he ate it then went back to sleep. I took advantage of his sleepiness and trimmed 2 more feet, I did one yesterday and have one more to go when he comes out from under the table!

They know how to work us dont they!!! Glad Dylans eaten something now though - you must feel better for that.

Alison_Leighfield
7th October 2008, 02:23 PM
Pauline,

you have insurance so the money doesn't matter, it usually runs into the thousands...nice to see you both :)

Alison.

Karlin
7th October 2008, 02:39 PM
Usually around £3000 for the surgery and another £1000 plus for a full MRI and consult. Then post care. Varies by the neurologist but that is the ballpark figure.

*Pauline*
7th October 2008, 03:26 PM
Pauline,

you have insurance so the money doesn't matter, it usually runs into the thousands...nice to see you both :)

Alison.

Thanks Alison.:)

AXA sent me some new forms today and I didn't request them, That may be promising. I'm still not counting on it though, you never know. The deciding factor for the surgery is not dependent on money, I'm just not convinced I want to put him through this. The vet manager said to have an open mind and see what the neurologist says. That's what I'm going to do.

pippa
7th October 2008, 08:16 PM
Lovely picture Pauline..you sound so worried, I wish there was something I could do to make you feel better. Try not to get too stressed. Dylan is so lucky to have you to care so much about him and give him so much love.

*Pauline*
7th October 2008, 08:20 PM
He's been asleep nearly all day.:confused:

murphy's mum
7th October 2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe he's picked up on how tired and upset your are? I know when I'm under the weather Murphy just veggie's on the couch with me:)

Chin up love, your beautiful wee boy has the best mummy in the world to look after him, no matter what:flwr:

sins
7th October 2008, 10:48 PM
Don't worry about Dylan sleeping all day.Daisy is doing pretty much the same today and yesterday,maybe it's just the cold weather and change in seasons.She's even fast asleep in her basket now instead of harrassing us for ham or chicken from the fridge, and she turned back from her evening walk before we'd even made it down the street.
Perhaps he's just basking in all the extra love and attention he's been getting too,try not to worry Pauline, he's most likely just having a few moments of downtime and taking a break.
Sins

*Pauline*
7th October 2008, 11:44 PM
We had a little play so he's not too bad, asleep again now though. If I pant like a dog (well he is an only dog!:o) he gets so excited, suddenly starts running around, smiling, barking like mad and fetching me toys to play with!!!

littlelady
7th October 2008, 11:49 PM
Ruby sleeps all day! its a joke here i say she has'nt had her 20 hour sleep! lovely pic of you and dylan, someone has sent me a pm where i can get ruby checked out for sm in wales!!:lotsaluv:

*Pauline*
7th October 2008, 11:50 PM
That's great Katie, please let me know what happens. :hug:

tara
8th October 2008, 04:42 AM
Pauline and Katie -- my thoughts are with you in this stresful time. I struggle to know what to say other than I am just so sorry that you and your dogs are facing these symptoms. Even though my Holly's parents were MRI'd with excellent results, I still worry about the possibility of facing SM at some point in her life. As knowledgeable cavalier owners, I think we all do.

I just got back from my monthly book club where I brought Holly along. My husband is out of town, so I had to leave my two young children with a sitter. Doing the bath / bedtime routine is difficult enough with kids, so I took Holly with me as I thought it might prove difficult for the sitter to adequately supervise my three girls. I brought Holly in her Sherpa and had made plans with the hostess to leave her in it during our meeting (Holly goes many places with me in her Sherpa:)). Well, Holly spent a mere 5 mintues in her bag before the hostess and a few others requested her presence! She ended up spending the entire 2 hours of our book club sitting on my friends' laps -- there were two cats roaming the room, food being passed, etc. Holly was just content to sit quietly and be a part of the group. My friends were AMAZED at how well behaved she was and one even told me, "you know this is not a normal dog!"

I tell you this to let you know that despite the horrendously scary health issues cavaliers may face, they are still an indescribably lovely companion and we are each lucky to live with one (or two, three ...) Bless you for caring so much for your dogs and I will keep you both in my thoughts.

*Pauline*
8th October 2008, 08:48 AM
What a lovely story Tara. You are right and I never forget what a wonderful companion he is. I'm really happy you found two MRIed parents. I think you will be inundated with PMs now asking who your breeder is. :p

Dublin
8th October 2008, 09:02 AM
How are you & Dylan today Pauline?

*Pauline*
8th October 2008, 09:27 AM
How are you & Dylan today Pauline?

Thanks for asking Sonia. Dylan usually sun bathes at this time so I can't tell yet if he's tired again. I am tired, the gas board are putting in new pipes in all my town and they disconnected us at 11am and put us back on at about 11pm! They were working my road after 1am :eek: We were told it was a half day job. I couldn't wind down after that and went to bed very late.

On Monday, the workman came in and told me they'd have to take up my hall floorboards. Well anyone who has been on Cavalier Talk for over two years will know I sanded and varnished the original floorboards all by myself:-D. I knew it would create too much noise and dust for Dylan so I did it in time for his homecoming. Well my heart was pounding. I told them they'd have to talk to my Dad. He sunk all the original nails so I could sand it. Then he told me he was joking and I thumped him!! :shifty::lol:

coconut
8th October 2008, 09:29 AM
Morning pauline, i hope dylan is feeling better!! That is terrible that they were working on ur road til that time!! i would have killed him for saying that about the floors, my heart defo would have being pounding!!

Dublin
8th October 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for asking Sonia. Dylan usually sun bathes at this time so I can't tell yet if he's tired again.

Well for some hey! I hope he has a nice bit of sun this morning - we have a nice sunny day here in Dublin - it's still cold though!

Sounds like a nightmare with the workmen - I think I'd have thumped him too!!! We have the plumbers & tilers (sp?) in this week as we're getting a new bathroom - seemed like a good idea till I got home last night & saw the mess & then was told that the workman had let Sparky out by accident! Luckily he called him & he came back - was my worst nightmare & I had (well thought I had) drilled it into them not to let either of the dogs out - a friend of mine had workmen in her house & they let her jack russell out & she didn't see her again for 2 weeks & she eventually found her in the vets with a badly broken leg - she'd been hit by a car! So I was very nervous about having workmen in the house with me not being there - Mark is in the house but god knows what he was doing when this went on! He got a good lecture too & another one this morning when I was leaving!!! (he will be sorry he married me by the end of this week!!!!!)

Jan Bell
8th October 2008, 10:14 AM
Good morning Pauline - my two like to have a sunbathe in the morning too, and find the spots where the suns comes through the window. Sounds like Dylan is relaxed though, so that is good.

A workman with a sense of humour just when you don't need one! I wasn't around on the board when you put down your floorboards but I am very impressed you did them yourself.

Does Dylan like them though? I only ask as my brother has polished floorboards in his hall, and Toby in particular slides around on them, then glares at me as if it is my fault!

*Pauline*
8th October 2008, 10:14 AM
I found a little Cocker Spaniel on a busy road side once. I took it to the nearest house and asked if it was theirs. The collar was so loose, as I held onto it, it came off twice. I had Dylan with me, so I couldn't pick him up. Dylan has a two ended lead so if I find a dog, it's happened a few times, I clip the dogs together. It was being home boarded with the man painting the front of this house so it wasn't even his dog and this wasn't the dogs house, he had just left it outside. I told the guy off.:mad: While we were talking the dog started walking to the roadside. OMGoodness, I was so frightened I couldn't even speak to call him.

*Pauline*
8th October 2008, 10:19 AM
Does Dylan like them though? I only ask as my brother has polished floorboards in his hall, and Toby in particular slides around on them, then glares at me as if it is my fault!

When Dylan sits still his front feet slide a bit, that's why I trimmed his pads this week. I think I have one more paw to do. We have rugs too, just for Dylan. He never slides even when we play fetch indoors. The floor was down, I only had to sand it.

Dublin
8th October 2008, 10:34 AM
I found a little Cocker Spaniel on a busy road side once. I took it to the nearest house and asked if it was theirs. The collar was so loose, as I held onto it, it came off twice. I had Dylan with me, so I couldn't pick him up. Dylan has a two ended lead so if I find a dog, it's happened a few times, I clip the dogs together. It was being home boarded with the man painting the front of this house so it wasn't even his dog and this wasn't the dogs house, he had just left it outside. I told the guy off.:mad: While we were talking the dog started walking to the roadside. OMGoodness, I was so frightened I couldn't even speak to call him.

Some people just have no idea do they!

*Pauline*
12th October 2008, 08:51 AM
Not long now before we go to the neurologist, Wednesday. I am really nervous. Dylan will love it as long as he gets to see at least one other dog. We pass our vet when we walk to town and he always tries to pull me in there! Dylan has no nerves of vets, yet.

Margaret Carter is coming with me which really takes the pressure off as she offered to come in with me. Now don't have to worry about knowing what to ask. I'm really grateful and relieved. :)

Dylan picked up since his day sleeping so I think our brush with a dog with Kennel cough is fine. He is scratching his head more now. He didn't do this when I first went to the vet. How fast will things develop? :confused:

Shelli
12th October 2008, 10:40 AM
Glad to hear that Dylan has perked up a bit. That must be a relief for you.
It's very kind of Margaret to go in with you, she will know exactly what to ask. I know that when I am in a situation like that my mind goes blank, I need OH to take in all the information!
I hope all goes well on Wednesday. We'll be keeping fingers and paws crossed.
:hug::hug: for you and Dylan.

Jan Bell
12th October 2008, 10:52 AM
Glad to hear that Dylan is feeling a bit livelier today. Not long to go now, and with Margaret there you be able to find out everything you need to know. It's really good that you have somebody going with you who knows what to ask and to keep you company at this difficult time.

:lotsaluv: Lots of love and cuddles to Dylan.

pippa
12th October 2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Pauline glad to hear Dylan is a little better. So glad you have Margaret Carter to go with you.

In these situations I know I always get mixed up trying to take in all the info so it will be good to have someone to check with it was kind of her to offer support.

Will be thinking of you all on wednesday. Take care.

Aileen
12th October 2008, 02:38 PM
Hope all goes well on Wednesday
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

sins
12th October 2008, 02:57 PM
Is the MRi machine back in service yet Pauline?
Sins

*Pauline*
12th October 2008, 03:16 PM
Is the MRi machine back in service yet Pauline?
Sins

I don't know, I will ring tomorrow. I still want to go just for the consultation if that's all that's available at this point as I want to get the ball rolling and know what we're dealing with. I feel like I'm doing nothing and he is scratching more and yelping sometimes.

Thanks for all your good wishes. :flwr::flwr::flwr:

MadPip
12th October 2008, 08:07 PM
Hi Pauline,
I'm new to the board, but have just skimmed through this thread. What a worry for you. I hope you at least get the consultation on Wednesday, but :xfngr: Dylan gets his scan done soon so you know one way or the other.

Take care of yourself and Dylan. What a great comfort it will be for you to have someone like Margaret going with you. She's a star.:rah:

diddy
12th October 2008, 10:16 PM
Pauline - dont beat yourself up. You are doing ALL you can for him and we are all here for you. Now go and give him a gentle cuddle from me.:lotsaluv:

Karlin
12th October 2008, 11:10 PM
He didn't do this when I first went to the vet. How fast will things develop?

Don't forget, you still need a confirmation about what you are dealing with, and what is causing these symptoms. So hang in there and you'll know a lot more hopefully by mid-week. :flwr:

SM is highly variable so it is really hard to know what might be progression and what is just the different sensations produced by the same level of the condition.

With scratching -- my dogs can go through phases of scratching a lot then hardly scratching at all. Changes in weather -- towards rain and shifting pressure -- definitely can make symptoms worse for Leo. Both dogs scratch when excited, some of the time (that is what always made me suspicious about Lily; it is one of those real SM things as excitement increases the CSF pressure and that can cause uncomfortable sensations and thus, scratching; so I hung on to her trying to gauge whether it did look like symptoms rather than just occasional normal behaviour). Leo always scratches a lot more the first couple of days after I get back from a trip, because he gets really excited to see me and that unfortunately has a knock on effect for him for a day or two on.

I've found two things to be very true with SM: first, when you are watching carefully to see if things are getting worse or if you are right in thinking you see new symptoms, it is very hard to tell and you doubt yourself all the time. Second, things tend to progress so subtly that you don't notice that things really are quite a bit worse until something happens to make it really stand out. That's why a diary and videos really help. It can be quite shocking to suddenly realise how much things have progressed and you cannot imagine how you failed to notice it. That has happened for me with both Leo and Lily -- you just get used to the incremental changes then one day you realise your dogs has scratched off a whole outer layer of ear hair (Leo) or cannot get through an obedience class without scratching every time she gets excited (Lily).

It is a very strange condition. Leo was having more discomfort back at the start of summer than he is having now-- maybe due to weather. Also I trimmed about 2-3 inches off the length of his ears and that seems to have helped -- maybe the weight of them? But maybe it is just coincidence.

*Pauline*
12th October 2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks Karlin, I think I must missed how much Dylan was air scratching on the lead. You can tell this from my first post about it, not on this thread, compared to the day after the BBC documentary when a walk to town was so bad, we walked straight into the vets and were seen within the hour.

The face wiping is definitely recent. Even my daughter said he didn't do that a month ago. And the scratching has gone from his ears to his head. This week he just sits there and his leg sort of twitches into half an air scratch.

A while ago I posted about him being spaced out in front of his food, a short time passed and he ate ok. After that he was jumping on and off my lap and screaming. He hasn't done that since but yelps more now.

Karlin
12th October 2008, 11:46 PM
If you aren't doing this, try raising his food and water dishes so he doesn't have to hang his head down to reach them.

So sorry to hear these various things are happening to cause you worry.

ttsabin
13th October 2008, 04:23 PM
best wishes for dylans scan.
hes a stunning looking boy,alot like my first cavalier with his lightly marked long coat.

KCB
13th October 2008, 08:16 PM
Pauline best of luck with Dylan on Wednesday. Hope all goes well. Will be thinking of you. He is such a stunning cavalier I always love to see photos of him!

Barbara
13th October 2008, 10:05 PM
Pauline just wanted to say good luck with Dylan on Wednesday. Margaret will be a great support. Hope all goes well.

*Pauline*
13th October 2008, 10:07 PM
Thank you so much everyone. :flwr::flwr::flwr:

Elaine 2
13th October 2008, 10:27 PM
Good luck for wednesday, I'll keep you all in my thoughts

pinkpuppy
14th October 2008, 01:11 AM
^Good luck on Wednesday. Think all will be thinking of you and Dylan.

Marilyn
14th October 2008, 01:15 AM
I haven't been reading for quite a while (out of town) and I am so sorry to read of Dylan's pain and your anguish Pauline. I will be keeping good thoughts for both of you on Wednesday.

Cleo's Person
14th October 2008, 01:15 PM
Pauline, best of luck tomorrow. :)

*Pauline*
14th October 2008, 01:43 PM
It will definately not be the scan tomorrow only the consultation. The scanner is still broken anyway.

Cleo's Person
14th October 2008, 03:45 PM
Oh that's a disappointment, but at lest you'll get to talk to a neruo who will be able to better discuss Dylan's problem with you. Best of luck.

Aileen
14th October 2008, 04:12 PM
Good luck for tomorrow
Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Claire L
14th October 2008, 04:33 PM
Good luck tomorrow Pauline :flwr:

Daisy's Mom
14th October 2008, 04:38 PM
As everyone else has said -- Best of luck to you and Dylan tomorrow! We'll all be thinking about you!

Karlin
14th October 2008, 04:38 PM
That's frustrating but you'll be able to get a lot of information and probably some meds and will likely feel more comfortable when you do go in for the scan and will know more of what to consider.

hilary
14th October 2008, 06:21 PM
Hope you get good news tomorrow , Pauline . Will be thinking of you and Dylan. H

murphy's mum
14th October 2008, 06:32 PM
We'll be thinking of you and your boy tomorrow:flwr:

coconut
14th October 2008, 06:34 PM
good luck tomorrow missus!!!

HollyDolly
14th October 2008, 06:36 PM
Hugs from me too Pauline and Dylan. What time is your appointment? Its just so I can send special thoughts at that time.:lotsaluv::lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

rosiesmum
14th October 2008, 06:51 PM
Pauline, good luck tomorrow - I will be thinking of you and Dylan :hug::hug::hug:

Shelli
14th October 2008, 07:56 PM
Best of luck tomorrow Pauline. Will be thinking of you and Dylan :flwr:

pippa
14th October 2008, 08:10 PM
Best of luck for tomorrow Pauline.

*Pauline*
14th October 2008, 09:46 PM
I've just been out for a couple of hours and it's lovely to come home to all your messages. Thank you so much. I'm totally stressed, I have a new patch of eczema on my hand!

I read the letter from the RVC again today and it did actually say the consultation was first followed by the MRI within a few days. So I'm sorry I've mislead you. Things don't always sink in first time I read them. How long we will have to wait for the MRI, I don't know, I will ask again tomorrow.

We are leaving at 10am even though it is only 1 hour away and the appointment is at 12pm. Dylan gets car sick and I want to stop half way to give him a break and turn up early enough to give him time to settle in Hertfordshire before we go in.

diddy
14th October 2008, 10:26 PM
Wishing you all the best for the neuro consult tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.

Elaine 2
14th October 2008, 11:05 PM
I'll keep you both in my thoughts,

Mark
14th October 2008, 11:25 PM
Hope all goes well tomorrow Pauline and that the outcome is the very best possible for Dylan.

*Pauline*
14th October 2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks again everyone.
This is my daughter with Dylan.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/2921578008_b03fb053cf_b.jpg

hbmama
15th October 2008, 04:42 AM
I have been away on vacation for 2 weeks so just catching up here. I am keeping you and Dylan in my daily prayers to get through this.:hug: Your daughter is lovely and looks so much like pictures I have seen of you! Wonderful picture of her and Dylan. Will check back for updates. :xfngr:

Nicki
15th October 2008, 07:57 AM
Thinking of you today Pauline :flwr::flwr:

Try raising Dylan up in the car, put extra cushions or layes of vet bed under him, this absorbs some of the movement and really helped one of my dogs. You can also try covering their crate so they can't see out - that helps some dogs too.

Shelli
15th October 2008, 08:23 AM
Thinking of you and Dylan today :flwr::flwr:

*Pauline*
15th October 2008, 08:28 AM
Poor fella is barking for breakfast, he can't eat before, even if he doesn't have the scan, just in case they do other tests. Right, I have to get ready now. I'll update you later.:cry*ing:

Dublin
15th October 2008, 09:03 AM
Poor little fella!

Good luck today Pauline - will be thinking of you both all day xxxxxx

*Pauline*
15th October 2008, 09:48 AM
Leaving soon, can't tell you how nervous I am.

Paddy n Tobys Mum
15th October 2008, 09:52 AM
Hope all goes well.:xfngr:

Sfopip
15th October 2008, 09:59 AM
Thinking of you and wishing Dylan well. xx

sins
15th October 2008, 10:00 AM
Good luck Pauline,
We'll be thinking of you and I'm sure they'll take wonderful care of Dylan.
Sins

Bunnylover
15th October 2008, 10:09 AM
We'll be thinking of you,paws and fingers crossed here too xx

Sandrac
15th October 2008, 10:10 AM
Good luck. Dylan will be in good hands.:thmbsup:

Cleo's Person
15th October 2008, 10:48 AM
Pauline, I know you're probably there by now, but just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts. I really hope it goes well. Tanya xx

pippa
15th October 2008, 01:19 PM
Thinking of you and Dylan today.