PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

BonniesMum
20th August 2008, 02:40 PM
Hi, i am a cavalier owner from Essex, i am 20, and have had my gorgeous cavalier bonnie since i was a child.

She has always been an 'odd dog' scatty, scratching, sometimes getting herself into a right state and crying! but until last night on BBC ones tv show, we didnt know what was wrong with her.

countless vets told us it was a skin condition so when we brush her and she started howling, and making whingy noises and going into a frenzy we thought it was her skin. how wrong we were.

I have been researching the condition and was directed here by bunnylover, who i know from a rabbit forum.

i am hoping to understand Bonnies condition, even though she is nearly 13 now, and she has suffered her whole life.

thank you

Cathy T
20th August 2008, 03:36 PM
Bonnie's mum - glad you found this forum. I'm so sorry to hear that Bonnie has such problems but am sure you will find plenty of helpful advice on this board. So glad you found us and hoping you are able to get some help to make Bonnie more comfortable.

merlinsmum
20th August 2008, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the board, hopefully you will find some useful tips here on the board to make Bonnie more comfortable:paw:

Cleo's Person
20th August 2008, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the board Bonnie's mum icon_welcome . Hopefully you'll find lots of information here to help. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Shelli
20th August 2008, 04:45 PM
Hi & icon_welcome. Sorry to hear that Bonnie is going through that. There are lots of members of the board who have dogs with sm so I'm sure they'll be able to give you lots of advice and we will all give you lots of support throughout. :flwr:

BonniesMum
20th August 2008, 09:04 PM
Hi & icon_welcome. Sorry to hear that Bonnie is going through that. There are lots of members of the board who have dogs with sm so I'm sure they'll be able to give you lots of advice and we will all give you lots of support throughout. :flwr:

thank you, i feel so bad she has suffered all these years, we really tried to find out what it was but this was in like 1998, and i think it was less known then.

she is an incredible dog, she has survied so much, shes so brave.

i will pop some piccies up!

PaganMojo
21st August 2008, 02:23 PM
Welcome to the boards, can't wait to see the piccies :D

Karlin
21st August 2008, 05:08 PM
Welcome!

Have you taken her to get some medication? She would be so, so much more comfortable I bet on gabapentin, which relieves the pain that causes the scratching and crying out. Also frusemide might help; older dogs are often on this already for their hearts.

I'd find a vet who knows about SM or give yours the documents mentioned below or see the list of neurologists I have here: www.smcavalier.com. Also on that site you can find Dr Clare Rusbridge's treatment diagram; take that in to your vet and see if they will start her on the recommended dose of gabapentin. You can also download and print out Clare's introduction to SM document and there's a podcast of Clare explaining about SM. Clare is the neurologist on the BBC film.

I am glad you found us and hope you can get your old girl a LOT more comfortable for her senior years.

Your story is not unusual -- many vets still do not know about this condition or its frequency in cavaliers. The good thing about that show is that far more now will