• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy air scratching !!!

buddy2008

Hi all, having watcjed last nights programme I am now a bit concerned, Buddy is now 12 weeks old a great happy little guy in the body of cavalier but with the heart of a lion!! anyway at our last vets visit I mentioned that he has been doing the air scratching quite a bit on one side, the vet checked his ears and said they were ok, he said that if he had sm when he rubbed his neck his leg would automatically lift towards his ear which it didnt. When he is on his harness & lead in the garden he will stop every so often to scratch, am I right to be concerned, I am completely ignorant when it comes to sm so any advice would be welcome, could I arrange an MRI, is he too young, would I even be entertained, :confused::confused::confused:

Well, the vet is wrong about the leg automatically lifting towards the ear -- were it so simple to diagnose SM, a lot of us could avoid MRIs!

It could be that he is just getting used to a harness and collar and lead. I'd be inclined to just keep an eye on him and if things don't change, maybe try a different vet who might know a bit more about SM. On my site www.smcavalier.com I have a list of things to eliminate before talking to a neurologist and there are quite a few.

There are puppies diagnosed with SM at 12 weeks so it is not impossible but probably a bit unlikely. That said don't dismiss what you are seeing but, wait and see what happens. You can ask for a referral to a neurologist for a clinical exam and to talk about your concerns if you see no change; a neurologist will advise on whether an MRI is needed.

Thanks Karlin, I dont want to panic but i suppose its better that ignoring it, the film really opened my eyes and I musthave read every post on this board in relation to SM after watching it, my sister called in the middle of it, she had been looking to take in a pug puppy but said she couldnt now after seeing what they go through, I will just keeo a close eye i buddy for now and keep my fingers crossed:xfngr:

Back