PDA

View Full Version : Questions for FOSTER parents...

chloe92us
21st August 2008, 02:16 AM
My hubby and I have been talking about becoming fosters for rescue. We looked into rescuing a Cav several times, but decided it was not the best fit for us. At the time, we did not have a fenced yard (we do now), our son was younger, and we had a senior dog we were spending time and money on with health issues.

We feel we're in a better place now, and would like to help by fostering.

Here are my questions;

1) What is the greatest "reward"?
2) What is the worst part of fostering?
3) How difficult is it to let them go once they're adopted?
4) What is the average time you have a foster at a time?
5) Have you ever adopted any of your foster kids?
6) If so, how many and why?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Maxxs_Mummy
21st August 2008, 02:26 AM
My hubby and I have been talking about becoming fosters for rescue. We looked into rescuing a Cav several times, but decided it was not the best fit for us. At the time, we did not have a fenced yard (we do now), our son was younger, and we had a senior dog we were spending time and money on with health issues.

Here are my questions;

1) Seeing the change in the dog and how they progress with TLC - how they learn to become dogs in other words.
2) When the time comes to let them go. In good ways because your job is done and there's room for the next one but in bad ways because you'll miss them.
3) Depends, some you become so attached to but it;s for the best as it makes room for another who might need you more!
4) 3-6 mths
5) Yes, because he'd had so many homes already and has so many health problems that I didn't think it was fair on him once he was settled. He still panics when i take him anywhere new just in case he's being left!
6) Just one and for the reasons above.

Good luck it's really rewarding :)

WoodHaven
21st August 2008, 02:43 AM

Here are my questions;

1) They hand you a shell of a dog-- sometimes in need of a bath, usually in need of some tlc and in a short time they blossom into great companions. Sometimes the progress is slow, sometimes they just glow when they get good food, medical care and attention.

2) Some dogs are harder to place. Older dogs and dogs with issues take more time and patience.

3)I have always gone into fostering KNOWING the dog would eventually be placed. I have always wanted to keep room for an emergency rescue. I would hate to have a cavalier go without help.

4) Our shortest fostering was three weeks. They are usually 6 weeks, I have had one with issues that I kept for four months.

5) and 6)We have placed a foster near us (our first cavalier rescue, my daughter got attached to her). My daughter still dog sits this cavalier for the owners. We've had 14 foster dogs. My own dogs have learned a lot from the new ones coming and going. But we've never kept one. I actually found a new foster home for a LOVELY 14 week old that was just too sweet for words. Her name was Minnie Cooper. I couldn't risk my daughter falling for Minnie.

sins
21st August 2008, 10:39 AM
Seeing a positive change in a dog that's very often been psychologically damaged.
Sometimes barking at night,the extra work involved and disputes between dogs.
Sometimes it's a relief to see one go but the last one was a real killer to let go as he'd connected very well with all the family.We're in real trouble with our current one as it's been love at first sight for me and the little sweetheart.She sleeps on my shoulder and cuddles up like a koala bear.
It's varied from a week to about six.
No, I've made a conscious decision not to even though all my instincts are saying " keep". I know that if I keep one that makes it more difficult to foster again and being unable to foster because of having that extra dog may endanger the life of another potential foster.

Sins