• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not quite throwing up?

FranklinFreckles

Hi everyone! :flwr:

I've had my new baby girl Penny for five days now but today I noticed something a little weird.

Occasionally she will have a little cough/hack and sound like she might be considering throwing up, but never produces anything out of her mouth. Actually, she just did it again and it sounds a bit like those "reverse sneezes" with some phlem (??) but then also she sometimes leans forward lke she wants to throw up.

It started this morning and otherwise she seems fine. She's eating, drinking, playing, napping and going potty just fine. It's not a constant thing and only happens once in a while, but I wanted to post and see if I could have some insight as to what this might be or when she might want to go see the vet.

We did have a full exam last Saturday and the vet gave her a clean bill of health and said her lungs and heart sounded "excellent."

Thanks!!

Our Amie does this sometimes, pretty rare.
She kind of wretches a bit and we think she is going to throw up, but then she just stops and there is nothing. Once she kind of brought up what just look like saliva.

This has only happened maybe 3 or 4 times since we got her though.

Edit: Just found this
"Some dogs occasionally vomit a frothy, yellow bile a few minutes after waking in the morning, but this does not affect appetite and is not an indication of disease."
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/intestin.html#Vom
From what I remember Amie does this mostly in the morning after waking up. Is Penny the same?

Yeah, what you described your baby does sounds pretty similar. She doesn't produce anything that I can see, but she makes a little squishy noise (for lack of a better word) occasionally.

It's not happening constantly but it is common enough yesterday and now this morning that I'm starting to get a little worried. Particularly this morning, after she ate breakfast, and she was running around after Franklinshe was starting to do it. Can dogs get asthma?

Maybe it's just that super excited backwards sneezing think that Franklin sometimes does but it sounds different since shes a puppy?

I might call my vet and ask their opinion over the phone later tody hmmm:eek:

When Ollie does this, I search around and do a "swipe" of his mouth with my finger and usually I find a hair or dust bunny in there. I have really long hair, so when he gets one, it gets stuck in his throat. Just a thought!

sounds like it could be kennel cough. This is fairly common in puppies and it does sound like they are trying to hack something up. Your vet can diagnose this easily and give you meds to clear it up if it is kennel cough. Good luck!

If it's a coughing sound I would ring your vet and ask their advice. It does sound like possibly kennel cough. This should never be ignored in a puppy as it can come on quickly and just as quickly turn to pneumonia. I just had a dog in rescue who came down with this and it cost the owner 1000 euro to resolve! It can become very serious so do check and see what you should do with a professional. (y)

Calling your vet for advice is always the best first port of call if you are seeing or hearing something odd, especially with pup[ies, which can go downhill extremely fast -- they do not have the immune system of an adult.

I ring my vets anytime I have a question about whether to bring a dog in. Sometimes I know I need an appointment and sometimes I need their advice as to whether to come in. They always let me know.

I was thinking it could be kennel cough but she was just given medication for that (preventively) on Saturday.

I'll give them a call just in case :) Thanks!

UPDATE!

Called the vet and they squeezed her in for an appointment tomorrow afternoon. I guess they have all these precautions for dogs who might have kennel cough, I have to leave her (going to bring someone to come wait with her) in the car to check in so she doesn't need to come into the waiting room.

Now I'm worried about Franklin! He said it was very contagious but so far Franklin hasn't had so much as a sniffle. It will be good to know what she has though!

Thanks for your patience!

Back